• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Temple at USF(Final home game)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

The battle for last place could be on the line today as Temple takes on USF. If USF wins they get the #8 seed but if they lose it might be the #10 seed going into the AAC Tournament. Ofcourse if UCF loses, then they are the 10th seed.

This will be the final home game for Victor Rudd and Martino Brock. These two have been among the few positive things for Bulls basketball this season. Both seniors have left all they have on the court and we as USF Bulls basketball fans will like to think them for their hard work and dedication while not having a chance to play for much this seasons. USF is not a good offensive team, but these two have been the offense the last month of the seasons.

This is all likely the last home game for Coach Stan Heath as well. A nice game that unfortunately just hasn't been able to get it done as a HC up to this point in his career. Coach Donnie Marsh and Coach Mike Wells came in to help turn things around, but just didn't get it done or wasn't allowed to. They got aboard a sinking ship and it looks like both will go down with it. Coach Rocc could be in that group, but his faith might be tied to who could be the next HC. His ties to recruiting in the area and him being known as a  good assistant coach to Calipari could save him. Just have to take a wait and see approach with him for now. Might not be likely but if any coach has a chance to survive it will be him, even though the percentage is very small.

Jordan Omogbehin and Musa Aleem are gone. Either or both of Hawkins and LeDay could also be playing their last home game for USF.

Either way this will be a very emotional game for a lot of people.

Edited by Vega

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a guy who seemed to have little interest in school. Now, he’s scheduled to leave the University of South Florida with his degree.

He was mostly about himself. Now, he’s a mentor and a leader.

He was motivated by the spectacular — the dunks that would produce ESPN “SportsCenter†highlights — but now he’s more of a complete player.

The maturation of senior forward Victor Rudd enters its final chapter today as USF celebrates Senior Day when the Bulls (12-18, 3-14 American Athletic) host Temple (8-21, 3-14) at the Sun Dome.

“He has grown up,’’ USF coach Stan Heath said. “We have had our moments, butting heads. But we definitely put our arms around each other right now.’’

Throughout his career, Rudd has been a spectacular dunker, evidenced by last month’s effort against Rutgers, when he jumped over a defender trying to draw a charge and threw down a windmill slam.

Rudd, who will play his final home game today along with senior Martino Brock, has since learned the importance of rebounding, ball-handling and setting an example for his teammates.

“Vic has meant a lot to this team,’’ Brock said. “I’ve seen him grow a lot. At first, he wanted to do this, do that. Now he understands the small things and it has opened up a lot of opportunities for him.

“He has a don’t-give-up attitude. He continues to play every night, bring it every night, be a leader every night.’’

Rudd, who played his freshman season at Arizona State, has 1,181 points at USF and needs 14 to enter the school’s all-time top 10. He averages 16.0 points and 6.8 rebounds, ranking among the AAC leaders in both categories.

The statistic he wanted most of all, though, was victories.

Rudd was an integral part of the 2011-12 team, which finished one victory away from the NCAA tournament’s Sweet 16. One day after that run ended, he declared himself eligible for the NBA draft, a hasty decision he reversed one month later.

“You always want to play better, but really, you always want to win more,’’ Rudd said. “You get in the (NCAA) tournament and all you want to do is go back. I think the future here is bright. I just wish we could get back (to the NCAA Tournament) one more time before I leave.’’

Heath said Rudd’s legacy is clear.

“He was very instrumental in the best season we’ve ever had here,’’ Heath said. “The games down the stretch, where we were right on the bubble and going down to the wire, I felt (Anthony Collins) and Victor Rudd took their games to another level.

“He should be remembered as a guy who could score, had great highlights and helped us win in his first year. Maybe he does get (to the NBA) down the road, which would be outstanding for us.’’

Louisville coach Rick Pitino is bullish on Rudd’s future.

“Victor Rudd is the type of basketball player the pros like,’’ Pitino said on Feb. 19, after the Cardinals defeated USF 80-54 in Louisville, Ky. “He’s long, athletic and only going to get better.’’

Rudd said he used those words as motivational fuel.

“It’s coming from a Hall of Famer, so I appreciate it,’’ Rudd said. “I just want to play (professionally). I want to get to that part. But I’ve still got games here, so I’m happy about that. When this is over, it’s over. So I want to enjoy it.’’

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/bulls-rudd-has-come-long-way-20140308/

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

What if Rocc was named HC?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,747
  • Content Count:  17,444
  • Days Won:  13

Heath is not nor should he get fired.

What if Rocc was named HC?

Haven't thought about that. It would be a very cheap way to go and give USF so continuity with the recruits in the area and the guys that will be invited back. You could do a lot worse with Coach Rocc, but normally a new AD will go for a more splash hire or someone that they are connected with to get their guy.

It going to be some attracted names out there this offseason as it look likes a lot of guys are about to be shown the door including from the NBA. There are some guys that are looking to get back in the head coaching game and as usual there will be a host of up and comers and assistants looking to move up. Despite what some think, USF is a step up for a lot of basketball coaches and right now the job is as attractive as it has ever been. A chance to win and do it consistently is there for the right guy.

Edited by Vega

OK please tell me why he shouldn't get fired? Not looking for an argument just want your reasons why he shouldn't in your opinion.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Being a glutton for punishment I drove up and I am in the building.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

IMO, the main reasin he should be gone is that he doesn't play an uptempo, exciting, fun-to-watch style of roundball.

Like it or not, Heath and Taggart control how the university is viewed by much of the outside world.

The more entertaining we are, (plus the more games we win), means we can sell more beer and jerseys, and get back to the big leagues sooner.

Being a glutton for punishment I drove up and I am in the building.

I would trade places with you in a heartbeat if I could. Nothing like attending a live event

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,320
  • Days Won:  43

OK please tell me why he shouldn't get fired? Not looking for an argument just want your reasons why he shouldn't in your opinion.

Dont worry all. Heath is not getting fired. He has one more year to get this turned around. Be patient, Bulls. We will get there.