• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: Bulls' Bulked-Up O-Line Ready to Push Back

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Bulls' Bulked-Up O-Line Ready to Push Back

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, FEB. 28, 2014 – Players on the USF offensive line have heard the chatter that’s carried over from last season and the bulked-up Bulls have taken the criticism to heart.

“We took it as a challenge to get bigger and stronger in the offseason, so that we can prove that we can play,” senior left tackle Darrell Williams said. “A lot of people think we’re not good enough to play in this offense, but I really feel we are. We’ve got a year under our belt and we should be more experienced. It should flow easier for us now.”

USF is two practices into the spring swing and it hasn’t taken long to see the Bulls up front have made a ton of progress from a stature standpoint following a grueling offseason of pumping iron.

“We averaged a gain of 13 pounds in the offseason,” said Williams, who gained 13 pounds of his own to get up to 310. “I saw it firsthand because this winter we worked out as a group and saw everyone gaining in the bench press, squat and power clean. Whatever lift we did, we gained more than last year.”

The Bulls return all five players that started the bulk of games on the offensive line in 2013, including Williams (left tackle), fellow senior Austin Reiter (center) and junior Brynjar Gudmundsson (left guard) who each started all 12 games. Senior tackle Quinterrius Eatmon started 11 games at right tackle, missing the season finale at Rutgers with and injury, and sophomore Dominique Threatt started six games at right guard in his true freshman season. The average weight among the Bulls’ five returning starters has grown from 297 to 310 pounds and players admit some swagger has come along with tipping the scales.

“With the added weight, I feel we’ve been playing more aggressively so far, even though it’s only been the first two days, but I’ve seen a difference so far,” Williams said.

Willie Taggart stressed all offseason the importance of getting the line to become “people movers” and USF’s second-year head coach made sure the Bulls are using the added power in the right way by adding offensive coordinator Paul Wulff, a former standout center at Washington State who will oversee the line.

“I think he’s a really smart guy, a good coach, a good teacher, and I’m just excited to get some more out of him this spring,” said Reiter, who brought his weight up from 273 to 286 thanks to offseason workouts.

Wulff joined the USF staff in January after spending the past two seasons with head coach Jim Harbaugh and the San Francisco 49ers as a senior offensive assistant. Prior to San Francisco, Wulff spent 12 seasons as a head coach at Eastern Washington (2000-07) and Washington State (2008-11), where he earned second-team All-Pac 10 and All-America honorable mention honors as a center from 1985-1989.

“It’s interesting to get a coach that worked with guys like Joe Staley and Anthony Davis – NFL players – and to see the transition coming to coaching us. It’s been a good experience so far,” Williams said.

Under Wulff, Washington State’s offense improved each season while he became a finalist for National Coach of the Year honors in 2004 and 2007. USF’s new leading man on the line is happy to get back to coaching at the college level and he’s been impressed with his pupils’ attitude so far.

“It’s been fun because these guys in particular have been really excited,” Wulff said. “A lot of players have been a lot of fun to work with and I’ve got to give them credit. They’re all eager, and when they’re all eager and they want to get better as a coach you can’t ask for much more than that and right now it’s what we’re doing.”

USF’s lineman have extra incentive to keep pushing harder this spring because of the Taggart approach to position battles. Like last spring, no Bull has secured a starting spot and that’s the way it will continue as Taggart and Wulff look to see who really wants to “do something” from now and throughout the fall.

“Right now we’re coaching all the same and they’re all getting equal reps,” Wulff said. “Once we get pads on and we start putting practices together we’ll all get a better idea of how things are going.”

Coaches will get their first true look at the Bulls’ progress in the trenches during Saturday’s practice that will feature full pads and it’s open for the public as well, starting at 3 p.m. at the Morsani Football Complex. Other practices open to the public this spring are Friday, March 7 (8:30 a.m.), Saturday, March 9 (3 p.m.), Friday, March 21 (8:30 a.m.) and Saturday, March 22 (3 p.m.).

“We’re doing all we can to play them and get every individual better. That (position battle) stuff will sort itself out in time,” Wulff said. “There is no reason to worry about that right now, the players shouldn’t worry about it. Don’t worry, just play and that’s our approach right now and the depth chart is irrelevant.”

Rest of story

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I loves me some big uglies.

Everything starts with the line - we get bigger, meaner, stronger, fitter, and better executing lineman, everybody else's job gets that much easier.

looking forward to a huge improvement this fall. Lotsa pancakes and Mack-truck-sized holes to run thru.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

The problem with our o-line last year was fat, slow, and decidedly unathletic when compared to our competitors.  Someone tell me how gaining 13 pounds a man is supposed help us be better at the things that made us look bad last year?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

The problem with our o-line last year was fat, slow, and decidedly unathletic when compared to our competitors. Someone tell me how gaining 13 pounds a man is supposed help us be better at the things that made us look bad last year?

You didn't see any strength issues? The defense pushing through the line like a hot knife through soft butter? Some muscle weight will help with that.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

CWT has the mentality and team will begin to take on his personality.  

The players will start skipping meetings also?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

It's for the run game.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Sorry Shadow, I must have missed something?  Not sure what you're speaking of?

Just me being a jerk/Negative Nancy again...

In another thread it was reported (in all seriousness, I thought it was a joke at first) that Taggart plans to spend (more?) time in offense and QB meetings this year.  Apparently last year he felt that even though he was calling the plays he actually didn't need to meet with the players on offense he was calling the plays for and have open communication with them.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

The problem with our o-line last year was fat, slow, and decidedly unathletic when compared to our competitors. Someone tell me how gaining 13 pounds a man is supposed help us be better at the things that made us look bad last year?

You didn't see any strength issues? The defense pushing through the line like a hot knife through soft butter? Some muscle weight will help with that.

Agreed, but there's no way that 13 lbs is all muscle, it's a physical and chemical impossibility.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

All this talk means nothing

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Agreed, but there's no way that 13 lbs is all muscle, it's a physical and chemical impossibility.

Depends from where the weight gain window began.  Was the weight differential from spring or fall work-outs of last year?

13 pounds of muscle weight in 6 months to a year is not a "physically and chemically impossibility."

Edited by dogma