• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top candidates for NEW Athletic director

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

Jim McVay

From 1982-1986, Jim McVay served as the Director of Marketing for the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League. During that time, he devised the marketing strategies for the most innovative and fan-friendly product in the entire league. Today, McVay serves as the President/CEO of the Outback Bowl, one of the most popular and successful games of the college bowl season

I am pretty sure Jim McVay makes way more at the Outback Bowl than USF can offer. I want to say 1.5 a year, or something like that.

$800,000

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,455
  • Days Won:  19

Jim McVay

From 1982-1986, Jim McVay served as the Director of Marketing for the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League. During that time, he devised the marketing strategies for the most innovative and fan-friendly product in the entire league. Today, McVay serves as the President/CEO of the Outback Bowl, one of the most popular and successful games of the college bowl season

I am pretty sure Jim McVay makes way more at the Outback Bowl than USF can offer. I want to say 1.5 a year, or something like that.

$800,000

Thanks, I remember seeing the number and thinking that would be a great job. Even though my number was off, I think 800k is enough to exclude him as a candidate.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think we've settled it then. Higgins will be our next AD.

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

Jim McVay

$800,000

Thanks, I remember seeing the number and thinking that would be a great job. Even though my number was off, I think 800k is enough to exclude him as a candidate.

And no doubt McVay would like to see the Bowl doing what it is currently doing. Not only because of the success of the bowl, but also because as CEO and president he makes almost $800,000 a year -- the highest salary of any bowl game CEO.

IF doug is making $710k thats pretty close

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I don't know where USF athletics is trying to go strategically, which makes it hard for me to say who would be "good". 

A winning program

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I don't know where USF athletics is trying to go strategically, which makes it hard for me to say who would be "good".

A winning program

And competing for conference titles in most sports most years.

NCAA tourney every couple years.

Bowl games every year.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

This freaking cracks me up. 

Yeah, it won't be him, not at 34 years old, but it should be him.  We need someone with the juice of youthful exuberance to get us out of this funk and get some energy and excitement back in athletics.  I'll bet the guy can raise money like nobody's business.  He'll finish off that $1B campaign in a heartbeat and start working on funding a stadium.  Angelos can deal with mundane efforts of AD work as the Senior VP Executive Associate Administrator of Athletic Direction or whatever his title is.  What we don't need is another hunk of melba toast or Little Lord Fontleroy running USF athletics. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,198
  • Days Won:  2

Forget dungy that will never happen...he has a great tv gig.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

It not so much who USF hires but rather will the atmosphere change? How deep is the rabbit's hole that's rooted in an athletics department that's okay with doing enough to get by?

This freaking cracks me up. 

Yeah, it won't be him, not at 34 years old, but it should be him.  We need someone with the juice of youthful exuberance to get us out of this funk and get some energy and excitement back in athletics.  I'll bet the guy can raise money like nobody's business.  He'll finish off that $1B campaign in a heartbeat and start working on funding a stadium.  Angelos can deal with mundane efforts of AD work as the Senior VP Executive Associate Administrator of Athletic Direction or whatever his title is.  What we don't need is another hunk of melba toast or Little Lord Fontleroy running USF athletics. 

Yeah, Doug road Leavitts excitement and skill as a HC for far too long, even after he fired him. I'm not sure I trust a guy with no inside experience though, not yet at least. 

Higgins was Assistant Athletic Director at USF before moving to run the Tampa Bay Sports Commission.