• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bortles going pro early

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Paul Tenorio â€@osknights 58m UCF QB Blake Bortles to declare for NFL draft, according to source. Official announcement expected Monday http://bit.ly/19Y5Rsj

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ucf-quarterback-blake-bortles-declare-nfl-draft-20140105,0,5873144.post

Not surprising, after beating Baylor on the big stage. I'm sure UCF has some decent QBs behind him, and a lot of young talent coming back on offense (hoping Storm Johnson & WR Hall go pro early, too). But, I think this is great news for USF...except for possibly helping UCF land a QB recruit this year.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Bortles will be tough to replace..so good news.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Eh, the worst USF team ever took the best UCF team ever to the wire, even with him at quarterback. Who cares. Overhyped and overrated, he is not an NFL quarterback. He's making the right choice though, coming back for another year would only hurt his stock, which will never be higher than it is right now.

I don't think any of the top quarterbacks in this draft - Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel - are likely to be franchise guys as pros. The best quarterbacks for value in this draft will come in the second or third round, strictly because guys drafted there carry lower expectations and are likely to land on better teams.

Edited by gobulls83

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Disagree, I think Bortles will do pretty good at the NFL level.  Good for USF for next year's matchup.  

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

i believe their backup QB is Dinovo.  You know... the kid that WANTED to play for USF but the Skipper passed on until after UCF offered.

Edited by dogma

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

He reminds me of Steve young. . . A legit passer that can run

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

i believe their backup QB is Dinovo. You know... the kid that WANTED to play for USF but the Skipper passed on until after UCF offered.

I think there was another kid that wanted to play for USF too and was a QB in that class.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Could affect USF if the Bucs draft him and they put up a banner with his photo on it at RJS. Talk about awkward!

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

He reminds me of Steve young. . . A legit passer that can run

Reminds me more of Luck. Young was quicker/more agile.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

Eh, the worst USF team ever took the best UCF team ever to the wire, even with him at quarterback. Who cares. Overhyped and overrated, he is not an NFL quarterback. He's making the right choice though, coming back for another year would only hurt his stock, which will never be higher than it is right now.

I don't think any of the top quarterbacks in this draft - Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel - are likely to be franchise guys as pros. The best quarterbacks for value in this draft will come in the second or third round, strictly because guys drafted there carry lower expectations and are likely to land on better teams.

I agree with you. They are talking early first round for Bortles, hard to see how returning for his senior year will improve on that. I also agree with your assessment of the QBs in this draft. I think it is interesting that the top QBs in the NFL: Brees, Rodgers, P. Manning, and Brady did not play for spread offenses in college. I think the only top QB that did is Foles, although I'm not certain of Arizona's offense and I'm not sure Foles is a top QB, one good year does not a QB make. When Rodgers was there California ran a West Coast offense the others were all in power run offenses.