• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Orlando Sentinel rips UCF fan behavior

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-ed-letters-public-prayer-111213-20131111,0,31958.story

Orlando Sentinel

Letters: Prayer, cursing, and textbooks

November 12, 2013

Advertisement

After reading James Coffin's guest column on prayer ("Why the High Court's ruling on prayer won't affect all Christians," Orlando Sentinel, Nov. 5), I remembered our daughter singing "Away in a Manger" this way: "The sweet little baby laid down his sweet head" rather than "the little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head."

When asked why she'd changed the words, she said that's the way we sing it at school.

Later, my husband asked the guidance counselor about this, and she replied that many religions are represented in the school, and the school doesn't want to offend anyone.

My husband asked if the children sing Jewish songs, and the answer was yes. Then he asked if they change the words to the Jewish songs. She replied, "No — I see your point."

We did not object to our daughter learning Jewish songs, or those of other faiths. We just want our faith represented as-is.

As Christians, we believe Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. We also recognize that the Jews are still seeking their Messiah, the Muslims pray to Allah, etc. Freedom of religion is about respecting one's right to agree or disagree.

But, let's not call it a prayer "seeking ... to inspire and unify all while excluding none," as Coffin writes. A prayer is a conversation with a deity, not a popularity contest. Just read a nice poem. Maybe that way, no one will be offended. But don't call it a prayer.

Teresa McFadden Orlando

Stop ripping pages and start reading

Regarding the article "Lake man's effort against textbook with 'Muslim civilizations' chapter raises security concerns," OrlandoSentinel.com, Nov. 6:

The hue and cry of the conservatives on this issue is rife with contradictions. The lack of awareness about Islam has led to unnecessary fears and fuels skepticism.

Any attempts to curb this trend are worth supporting. However, some are ready to rip off efforts to that effect.

Bigotry thrives on ignorance and perpetuates fears. There is a dire need to avoid the hypocritical trap that lets prejudice against Islam cloud any sound judgment.

Any attempts to mess with textbook curriculum must be thwarted. History must not be altered, and Islam's due place in the chronology of religions must not be overlooked.

Ripping out pages of textbooks is ludicrous.

On the contrary, the lack of awareness about Islam mandates the need for more information about it.

Muslims constitute an integral component of American society and any attempts to curb learning about their heritage are illogical. It is time to stop ripping and start reading.

Khalid Minhas Hollywood

Cursing at UCF game ruined night for kids

My sweet 9-year-old twin girls spent the afternoon making gold and black rainbow loom bracelets to wear to the next University of Central Florida football game.

They are so excited to watch the Knights, but after my experience at the UCF-University of Houston game Saturday night, I don't feel good about taking them back to games this season. The profanity was in our faces from the time we arrived on campus.

The young people continued even after I pointed out that I had little girls with me. Apparently, they cannot carry on a simple conversation without pointless cursing.

I'm sad that two little girls are being robbed of the opportunity to go to a football game and still maintain their sweet innocence.

Nikki Waits Zellwood

Textbook should tell whole story of Islam

It is obvious to me when an author is ignorant (not stupid — but not knowing) or being deceptive. This is the case concerning Saturday's editorial, "Anti-Muslim text protest misleads, sows hostility."

The protest was about the unequal treatment of religions in a textbook. If the singular long chapter had been about Christianity rather than Islam, liberals would have screamed "unfair." I recently met Rick Sarmiento, and he does not know much about Islam, but he can spot inequality in the treatment of subject material.

If a textbook is to include material on a religion, it should be accurate, meaning a complete historical report. To pass off Islam as simply a religion is inaccurate. Few care what a Muslim does religiously; it is political Islam and Shariah that bring fear and distrust.

It is clear that the Editorial Board knows nothing about these subjects or was being deceptive.

Michael T. Skubiak Heathrow

It's the 'season' for feeding the hungry

I just noticed that my local grocery store is giving coupons at each checkout. This is a seasonal campaign making it easy for us to donate money to buy food for those who need it.

The coupons are labeled bronze, silver and gold, representing escalating dollar amounts. This is an easy, almost mindless way to help feed the hungry.

Hunger does not stop two months from now, but the easy way to donate to the hungry does. I asked the manager why the store does not have this campaign year-round, since hunger is a year-round problem. He told me the giving pretty much stops after the holidays.

So, then, do the coupons.

What does that say about us?

Pati AR Howard Orlando

Bullying nonstory

The thought of someone taller than 6 feet and weighing more than 300 pounds complaining of being bullied is inconceivable to my 165-pound frame.

Furthermore, I'm left speechless with all the media attention this seemingly nonevent is receiving.

Norman Moss Winter Park

Copyright © 2013, Orlando Sentinel

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

I wish I would have known to only read the bolded section....I was thinking, 'how is this going to tie into UCF football'......

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

I get what she's saying but if she doesn't want her kids to hear cursing then they have no business being at a football game.

Really?  So all kids should stay at home and not attend collegiate athletic events?  I, unfortunately, have a bit of a potty mouth.  But when my grandson is around I am much more aware of what comes out since he repeats almost everything at this age (2).  And at football games I check around to see if kids are in hearing distance before I drop a 4 letter word or two.  I slip up occasionally but if someone made a point to let me know there were kids hearing it I would really watch myself.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

I get what she's saying but if she doesn't want her kids to hear cursing then they have no business being at a football game.

+1

It was an emotional game w a lot on the line. I don't curse much but I let a few F Bombs fly after a few Houston 3rd Down Conversions. I have been to just about every NFL & college venue in Florida and none of them were PG experiences. Try the upper deck at a Bucs or Dolphins game

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Really?  So all kids should stay at home and not attend collegiate athletic events?  I, unfortunately, have a bit of a potty mouth.  But when my grandson is around I am much more aware of what comes out since he repeats almost everything at this age (2).  And at football games I check around to see if kids are in hearing distance before I drop a 4 letter word or two.  I slip up occasionally but if someone made a point to let me know there were kids hearing it I would really watch myself.

Because you're old (no offense), college kids think they can do whatever they want, they're not going to have some mom tell them what to do.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

And just to be clear, it's not the Orlando Sentinel ripping the UCF fanbase either. It's a guy that doesn't seem to know that cursing goes on sometimes at football games, and he happened to have his op. ed. printed by the Orlando Sentinel. The title to this thread is misleading, in my opinion.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

+1

It was an emotional game w a lot on the line. I don't curse much but I let a few F Bombs fly after a few Houston 3rd Down Conversions. I have been to just about every NFL & college venue in Florida and none of them were PG experiences. Try the upper deck at a Bucs or Dolphins game

Totally agree about the NFL games but not the college games. This apparently wasn't a few F bombs dropped after emotional plays:

The profanity was in our faces from the time we arrived on campus.

The young people continued even after I pointed out that I had little girls with me. Apparently, they cannot carry on a simple conversation without pointless cursing.

I've maybe heard 1 f bomb in all my years of attending Bulls games, home and away ... Now I'm sure the Student Sections in all venues are a rougher place than the rest and wouldn't take a kid near one but i don't think this applies here ... don't really know where she was, though ... or if it's even true, but if it is true, the student were ******** for at least not trying to clean it up while the kids were around.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

And just to be clear, it's not the Orlando Sentinel ripping the UCF fanbase either. It's a guy that doesn't seem to know that cursing goes on sometimes at football games, and he happened to have his op. ed. printed by the Orlando Sentinel. The title to this thread is misleading, in my opinion.

Actually, I think it's a gal ....  B)