• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Personally, I'm still pissed that Holtz got us into that war in Iraq, destroyed the economy, and got the series 24 canceled.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Personally, I'm still pissed that Holtz got us into that war in Iraq, destroyed the economy, and got the series 24 canceled.

Don't forget the Gulf oil spill. That was on his watch too. #PilingOn

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I think Daniels will make the 53 man roster. He is too talented and versitile to not make it. I plan on ordering the NFL preseason package so I can watch all his games to see how he looks.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

You can't tell me that forcing BJD to become a pocket passer helped us in any way, shape, or form.

I mean..that'd be like moving a 4 star CB to WR...oh..wait..

The fact that Skip Holtz inherited a team that did not have any other scholarship QBs to turn to in the event of injury had nothing to do with that in your mind, I suppose.

Skip had 3 years to pick up a QB, did he not? QB he DID have just got drafted by the NFL. His only hope was an incoming freshman in AW this year?

Coach T had no QB either, look what he went out and did.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

BJ wanted to be a pocket passer.  He had stated on several occasions that he doesn't like to run.

Wondering how much of those statements was him being on board with what Holtz wanted him to do and being a team guy.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Just shows what a failure we had in Skip Holtz and crew's ability to coach our players.

Based on one article?  Let's see how this plays out first.

No, it's based on the fact that he wanted to make him a pocket passer from the outset.

BJ wanted to be a pocket passer.  He had stated on several occasions that he doesn't like to run.

That wasn't his strength. You saw how badly we struggled early on in 2010 when B.J. didn't run much and stayed in the pocket too long. After that WVU game B.J. freelanced more and our offense was doing good things.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

You can't tell me that forcing BJD to become a pocket passer helped us in any way, shape, or form.

You can't tell anyone that BJ was forced to become a pocket passer. If you think that he was, then you know very little about football. We didn't run as many wild ass plays as we used to, but he was far from forced to be a pocket passer.

Really? Did'nt Skip Holtz say he wanted BJ to be more of a pocket passer in 2010?? Pretty positive that he did. Without even trying to search I've already found this. I'm sure there's more.

http://tampabay.sbnation.com/south-florida-bulls/2011/8/29/2390677/can-b-j-daniels-shed-the-potential-label

"Holtz has also told us they don't want the quarterback leading the team in rushing yards like it did in all of Grothe's full seasons, and again in Daniels' freshman year. Holtz and offensive coordinator Todd Fitch can tweak the offense to make him more comfortable throwing the ball (which they did after his disastrous game in Morgantown), but there's only so much they can do if they don't want him running wild."

I'm not saying this is why Skip was canned. He was canned because he lost the team, the defensive "bend don't break" scheme was a total failure, and went 1-16 in conference play. What I am saying is that now, with real coaches, BJD will progress more than he ever did with Skip.

In 09 BJ had 13.4 RAPG, 10 9.3 RAPG, 11 12.0 RAPG, and 12 11.5 RAPG. Yes, Skip wanted to make BJ a pocket passer, but he never actually did it. Don't get me wrong Skip sucked while he was here and there are a violation ton of things to blame him for, but he never actually made BJ a pocket passer, he tried, but the stats just don't show that he ever actually did.

not sure what RAPG is but BJs pass:run ratio went from 1.3 under Leavitt to 2.8 his last year with Skip. i.e. he was throwing 3 times as much as rushing. he averaged 32 passes per game.

oh this doesn't account for scrambles where it was a called pass play and he had to run for his life. plus sacks count as rushes in college too so those skew his rushes as well.

Ohio State's QB was 1.12 kansas state's was 1.47

those coaches knew how to use their QBs to the best of their ability

RAPG, Rushing attempts per game. Look at it however you want, just stating a fact. Not going to participate in your usual olympic event.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

You can't tell anyone that BJ was forced to become a pocket passer. If you think that he was, then you know very little about football. We didn't run as many wild ass plays as we used to, but he was far from forced to be a pocket passer.

Really? Did'nt Skip Holtz say he wanted BJ to be more of a pocket passer in 2010?? Pretty positive that he did. Without even trying to search I've already found this. I'm sure there's more.

http://tampabay.sbnation.com/south-florida-bulls/2011/8/29/2390677/can-b-j-daniels-shed-the-potential-label

"Holtz has also told us they don't want the quarterback leading the team in rushing yards like it did in all of Grothe's full seasons, and again in Daniels' freshman year. Holtz and offensive coordinator Todd Fitch can tweak the offense to make him more comfortable throwing the ball (which they did after his disastrous game in Morgantown), but there's only so much they can do if they don't want him running wild."

I'm not saying this is why Skip was canned. He was canned because he lost the team, the defensive "bend don't break" scheme was a total failure, and went 1-16 in conference play. What I am saying is that now, with real coaches, BJD will progress more than he ever did with Skip.

In 09 BJ had 13.4 RAPG, 10 9.3 RAPG, 11 12.0 RAPG, and 12 11.5 RAPG. Yes, Skip wanted to make BJ a pocket passer, but he never actually did it. Don't get me wrong Skip sucked while he was here and there are a violation ton of things to blame him for, but he never actually made BJ a pocket passer, he tried, but the stats just don't show that he ever actually did.

not sure what RAPG is but BJs pass:run ratio went from 1.3 under Leavitt to 2.8 his last year with Skip. i.e. he was throwing 3 times as much as rushing. he averaged 32 passes per game.

oh this doesn't account for scrambles where it was a called pass play and he had to run for his life. plus sacks count as rushes in college too so those skew his rushes as well.

Ohio State's QB was 1.12 kansas state's was 1.47

those coaches knew how to use their QBs to the best of their ability

RAPG, Rushing attempts per game. Look at it however you want, just stating a fact. Not going to participate in your usual olympic event.

I LOL'd ....

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Don't forget the Gulf oil spill. That was on his watch too. #PilingOn

I heard he also requested we stay in the Big East. Said, "...this conference is going places."

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

BJ may have wanted to be more of a pocket passer and skip may have wanted him in the pocket but there wasn't much of a pocket against better defenses.