• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I like him. Hope he comes to play for us. Decent size on him as well

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

9-15, 99yds, 1 TD...Sounds like he could be a solid pick-up. If Floyd learns how to handle the snaps, I would go with Floyd. If not, Bench all the way. One area of concern is Bench's throwing mechanics. He has a very low release point which may result in more tipped and blocked passes. It is evident at the 1:40 mark.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

I may not be in the majority here, but I like Bench over Trickett.  Sure it sounds like sour grapes, and I was hoping Trickett would come here.  But, that was mostly because I just hoped anyone would come in a upgrade that position for us.  Nothing against Trickett, he has shown the ability and vision.  He throws a nice deep ball too.  The negative is his lack of mobility.  I recall him being chased down by DT's and DE's quite a bit when EJ was hurt.  Now, I haven't seen a whole lot of Bench either, but so far it looks like he brings the threat of mixing in some read-option packages.  He throws the ball pretty well too from the PSU spring game clips.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

What little they showed of him, looked fine. Only kind of problem I had was with the very first play ... unless the red shirt not only meant he couldn't get hit, but that he couldn't hit anybody either.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,945
  • Days Won:  12

I'm trying not to get too carried away by the fact that he's played at Penn State and just look at his abilities and judge based on that. 

As GA points out, Floyd has more experience than Bench on the field, though Bench is like Floyd minus the mistakes, plus at least being present in more big games. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

Man, Taggart and crew are really scrounging around in the couch cushions for any QBs.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

Man, Taggart and crew are really scrounging around in the couch cushions for any QBs.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

That's because we don't have anything that even remotely resembles one as of yet.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

ESPN updates

Steven Bench considering schools
Updated: May 3, 2013, 11:45 AM ET
By Joe Schad | ESPN
Penn State QB Steven Bench To Transfer
Nittany Nation's Josh Moyer breaks down how Steven Bench's decision to transfer will affect Penn State.

USF and Mississippi State are among the schools former Penn State quarterback Steven Bench is considering transferring to, according to a source close to the player.

Bench is expected to train with quarterbacks coach George Whitfield in California this weekend and possibly take visits to one of those schools the following weekend.

Bench, eligible to play this season, has three total years of eligibility plus a redshirt available after leaving Penn State this spring.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Bench appeared in two games for the Nittany Lions last season, completing 2 of 8 passes.

Junior college transfer Tyler Ferguson and true freshman Christian Hackenberg will compete for the Penn State starting quarterback position this summer and into the fall.

Bench considered Mississippi State and also once decommitted from Rice after he graduated from Cairo High School in Georgia. According to his ESPN RecruitingNation scouting report, Bench has a quick, compact throwing motion and can throw on the run.

Edited by Bullwinkle