• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I had the opportunity to attend the Mike Aresco/ESPN conference call on the new deal.  I jotted down some unofficial notes I thought I'd share..

Aresco was very excited about the deal with ESPN.  He said the agreement shows confidence ESPN has in conference.  Together the plan is to be very innovative.  A wide ranging agreement - content can appear nationally and on various ESPN platforms.

On the new name of the conference - nothing new.  Name to be disclosed in Spring.  Aresco went on to say possibly April, early May.  They are currently working with branding groups.

There will be games scheduled on Thursdays and Fridays.  They will be sensitive to H.S. football

There was a question about the existing schools infighting over exit fees.  Aresco said there had been none at all.  It's a very cordial, straightforward and collegial group.

Will the conference consider selling naming rights?  Aresco vehemently said No.  Not even thinking about it.

On the 12th member - "We are looking at expansion"  Intention is to get to 12.  Expectation is to have championship game in 2015.  Possibly in 2014, but unlikely.

When ESPN was asked of what nights for television (basketball) the response was most nights of the week, but it was too early to tell.

Where will conference basketball championship be played?  Aresco says they're looking at a group of cities - the preference is to hold it in a city with a conference presence.  They may rotate among site, not sure.  Aresco like the Pac12 model - on campus sites.

Aresco said top 3 priorities right now are 1) the name/rebranding 2) Venues 3) revenue

ESPN can license out games to sub-licensees.  ESPN said "excited about upside, can help in 'comprehensive exposure'."

It was asked if Tulane could make it next season, Aresco commented they had other obligations.  Further talk on a 2014 conference football championship if Navy joined earlier, but it has not been discussed.

Pinstripe Bowl - still working on, hope they stay with new league.

Who makes the call on what teams get on ESPN?  The network and conference work together to determine best games for TV.

What input does ESPN have in naming process?  Aresco says the league will decide but may ask ESPN for opinion.  "ESPN has never asked about a name."

Is there a scheduling agreement (basketball) with the C7 schools?  Aresco says "No agreement, but you'll see us play down the road."

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Yawn. I really thought Aresco was gonna be an innovator in access to TV programming. Now I can't even tell if he has a pulse.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Ineptitude or Damage control? Either way, he looks like a failure to me

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Thanks for the info Bulliever!

It seems that it's hard to get a positive response from anyone these days on the boards...negativity has taken over until the season begins it seems.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

without a shot at national title we are in a second tier conference

uf,fsu and miami are thrilled

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Have to be honest that ACC is a second tier conference as well. A one loss Florida State unless it is a strong SEC loss will never make it to the national championship game.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Have to be honest that ACC is a second tier conference as well. A one loss Florida State unless it is a strong SEC loss will never make it to the national championship game.

If ACC is tier 2, then we're tier three.  There definitely a rung ahead of us now.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Ineptitude or Damage control? Either way, he looks like a failure to me

Silk purse .... Sows ear... Can't do it.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Yawn. I really thought Aresco was gonna be an innovator in access to TV programming. Now I can't even tell if he has a pulse.

Clearly we should have a world wide TV contract worth billions of dollars, and NewUnnamedConference games should take priority over those stupid SEC matchups that no one cares about.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

not selling the naming rights is incredbily dumb

not even exploring it is an even bigger failure.

• Upvote 1