• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Sit back and watch the game. Don't sweat what you can't control.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

BMM is a trusted journalist with an impeccable rep... Psbbbssttttt..., ahhhh hahahahaha

Couldn't do it....

I know he's said many unpopular things about USF, but what has he said that was blatantly false?

You assume that's what I meant... I'm saying he's a turd....

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-02-08/big-east-catholic-7-breakup-2014-tv-contract-football-basketball-legal-battle

BASKETBALL ONLY

As I said in my previous post, ever since Marinatto left, and McMurphy joined ESPN, he has been consistently wrong and biased against the BEast

"The Big East is trying to nail down its new television contract; the
league has one for football in this coming season with ESPN, but there
is none for men’s basketball. NBC Sports is aggressively seeking a deal,
ESPN.com reported.

NBC Sports Network has verbally offered the Big East between $20 to
$23 million a year for a six-year deal to acquire the media rights for
the league, ESPN.com reported."

Edited by dogma

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-02-08/big-east-catholic-7-breakup-2014-tv-contract-football-basketball-legal-battle

BASKETBALL ONLY

As I said in my previous post, ever since Marinatto left, and McMurphy joined ESPN, he has been consistently wrong and biased against the BEast

ESPN.com reported.

If that true, then I can see the all-member teams making 5-6 million. I can live with that considering the crap we've been left behind with (minus UConn/Cincy.).

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,455
  • Days Won:  19

I think a solid goal is $5 million for USF each year. That would be a victory (and more than we get right now). That would take about a $58 million a year deal (assuming a 12 school league with 11 full members and Navy as football only).

There are problems. USF went into debt to build all those new facilities and the assumption was $11 million a year from TV will pay off that debt.

What I am about to say is based on USF in a mid major league and not success or failure. Right now we pay our MBB Head Coach and top Athletic Administrators at a level that doesn't match our overall revenues. Please listen carefully, I am not saying Stan/Doug do or don't deserve what they make, I am saying that we are paying them in line with ACC/Big 12 rates while we take in C-USA/Mountain West sort of money. (Skip at over $2 million a year would have been in the same category, but Willie Taggart's contract is in line with our revenues).

We have facility debt, the desire to improve, payouts to former coaches, and several key staff members with contracts that don't fit our level of revenues. We were looking at a $12 to $13 million a year tv deal just a couple years ago. Now we will get less than half of that.

All those problems are solved with a new conference home (that is ACC or better). If we are stuck where we stand today, there are serious money problems in our future.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

time changes a lot... a few months ago we turned down 13 mil per team now we are SHOOTING for 5 mil...

i've said all along that turning down the original deal was the right thing to do assuming EVERYONE would stay on board. The old BE with a few adds on the open market would have done excellent.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

BASKETBALL ONLY

ESPN.com reported.

I'm not going for it.

If it's basketball only, then after next year, there will only be 7 members in the catholic league. That's about $3m per team just for bball.

Granted, it will be the premium basketball league in the country, but the next best league, the A10, only gets about $5m for the whole friggin conference.

"$5 million per year, split between 14 teams means each school will get a little more than $350,000 per year from the television contract."

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/10/3/3448664/new-atlantic-10-television-contract-shows-big-east-basketball-schools

If the A10, only gets $350,000 per team, then NWIH the C7 gets $3,000,000 per team. The numbers are too far off. The C7 will not pull in 10x the advertising revenue of the A10. Just not gonna happen.

No, I believe what NBC is bidding on is the combined football and basketball for the NBE, minus the C7. Which means we'll get about $2,000,000 per team once we go to 12 teams. Total

Sucks to be us.

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,455
  • Days Won:  19

BASKETBALL ONLY

ESPN.com reported.

I'm not going for it.

If it's basketball only, then after next year, there will only be 7 members in the catholic league. That's about $3m per team just for bball.

Granted, it will be the premium basketball league in the country, but the next best league, the A10, only gets about $5m for the whole friggin conference.

"$5 million per year, split between 14 teams means each school will get a little more than $350,000 per year from the television contract."

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/10/3/3448664/new-atlantic-10-television-contract-shows-big-east-basketball-schools

If the A10, only gets $350,000 per team, then NWIH the C7 gets $3,000,000 per team. The numbers are too far off. The C7 will not pull in 10x the advertising revenue of the A10. Just not gonna happen.

No, I believe what NBC is bidding on is the combined football and basketball for the NBE, minus the C7. Which means we'll get about $2,000,000 per team once we go to 12 teams. Total

Sucks to be us.

You are right, it is $2 million per school for all sports (including football) ... but its just a starting point, not a contract. Negotiations will bring that money higher, I just hope we can get it up to about $5 million per (or at least what we currently get).

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Mike,

You nailed the purple elephant in the room....