• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MIAMI & the NCAA Situation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,103
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This is a funny quote from Golden.

"And the good thing there is we don't anticipate any shock or any surprise."

Would it be a shock or a surprise if it was anticipated?  :)

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I have a hunch that they'll escape the NCAA's wrath with just a minor flesh wound.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Like this one?

Black-Knight-monty-python.jpg

• Topic Count:  2,328
  • Content Count:  21,279
  • Days Won:  10

Self imposed bowl sanctions what a joke.   Miami is a program know to break the rules, time to make them pay.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Like this one?

I wish the NCAA went all Monty Python on The U. But I think rather than just jumping around while getting appendages lopped off, and saying that it's nothing more than a flesh wound, I think the NCAA won't have enough evidence against the U. Not only will they walk away from the ordeal, but they'll be back to cheat another day.

Latest on the NCAA Situation: Tuesday 7 AM Report  

7 AM TUESDAY -- I have confirmed from multiple sources that the NCAA has told multiple people that it will deliver the allegations early next week. However I will personally be surprised if they stick to this timetable. Would not be shocked to see it moved up a couple days.

MIDNIGHT TUESDAY -- Sources have told CaneSport that the NCAA will be going hard at former coaches Aubrey Hill and Clint Hurtt when it issues its Letter of Allegations, likely trying to tag both coaches with "show cause" status.

It is believed that their attorneys were informed of the allegations Monday, but it is not known if the NCAA is going as far as informing those charged with its intent as it pertains to penalties. All principles in the case are being sternly warned against leaking the content of discussions this week. Right now the timeline for a public announcement is believed to be early next week -- Monday or Tuesday. Miami is said to be planning to make the charges against it public at a press conference, but that has yet to be scheduled.

The decision to try to prove show cause against the former members of Randy Shannon's staff could be part of a movement by the NCAA to make individuals directly responsible for NCAA violations more accountable, something critics of the NCAA have urged for years.

A show-cause penalty is an order saying that for a set period of time, any NCAA penalties imposed on a coach involved in major rules violations at a university's athletic program will remain in force if he is hired by any other NCAA member institution. Both the school and coach are required to send letters to the NCAA agreeing to abide by any restrictions imposed, and report back to the NCAA every 6 months until the end of employment or the show-cause, whichever comes first. If the school wishes to avoid the NCAA restrictions imposed on that individual, it must appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions and "show cause" as to why it should not be penalized for hiring him. An NCAA member school is allowed to hire a coach with a show-cause order outstanding. In practice, however, the show-cause restrictions make it prohibitively difficult for a coach with a show-cause order to get another collegiate job.

"The NCAA often uses the "show cause" tag for institutional employees who it is alleging have not been 100% truthful to investigators during the investigation stage and sources told CaneSport that is what the NCAA will be alleging against Hurtt, Hill and others when it releases its charges.

Hill has already resigned from the staff at Florida, but Hurtt, a key assistant at Louisville, has an enormous amountat stake if the NCAA tags him with a "show cause." CaneSport reported several months ago that it was believed that Hurtt was cooperating fully with the NCAA throughout the process and that because of that Louisville would stand by him even if he is forced to give up recruiting duties for a period of time because of his involvement with Shapiro. Both coaches may fight any allegations they don't agree with after the charges are delivered. All of the coaches involved have hired attorneys.

Another former coach, Joe Pannunzio, is also believed to be named in the allegations, but not to the same degree as Hurtt and Hill, who admitted their involvement from Day 1.

Sources close to the situation are also telling CaneSport that Miami's basketball program will receive equal treatment to football in the allegations. But it is uncertain whether the fact that Coach Frank Haith and staff are gone will give UM beneficial treatment when the case goes to the penalty stage.

CaneSport is also being told there will be a couple of surprises implicating current UM athletic personnel when the final charges are revealed. But none of those are believed to involve major violations.

In summary, based on conversation with dozens of sources, we believe that Miami has correctly projected both the level of charges with provability and the penalty level that those warrant. Those who have projected loss of some scholarships in addition to the 2 bowl games already served could be spot on. The bigger question could end up being what will happen to Miami's basketball program, which is in contention in the ACC this season and has yet to impose any penalties. There is legit question, with the charges set to be released soon, of whether Miami will be forced to self-impose penalties on its basketball program this season.

10:30 AM, MONDAY -- The notifications of individual allegations are being made reither directly to the attorneys of the individuals or the individuals themselves. Those conversations with attorneys are beginning today and have confirmed this multiple places. Most individuals involved have attorneys.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Like this one?

I wish the NCAA went all Monty Python on The U. But I think rather than just jumping around while getting appendages lopped off, and saying that it's nothing more than a flesh wound, I think the NCAA won't have enough evidence against the U. Not only will they walk away from the ordeal, but they'll be back to cheat another day.

I don't think they'll get hit as hard as everyone wants them too either. I'm thinking somewhere in the middle, something close to USC perhaps? Loss of scholarships, bowl bans, etc... 

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Like this one?

I don't think they'll get hit as hard as everyone wants them too either. I'm thinking somewhere in the middle, something close to USC perhaps? Loss of scholarships, bowl bans, etc... 

Be interesting to see if they come down on Strong's master recruiter Clint Hurtt at UL. He was all in the thick of it.