• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Assistant Coaches Thread

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,554
  • Days Won:  29

Hearing from ... ?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I heard that Jon Gruden is going to coach my daughter's little league soccer team... Go ahead, try to prove me wrong. /sarcasm

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574
  • Days Won:  0

From a poster on BCP...

"just got of the phone with my nephew he said ray woodie left for USF today...

him & taggart will make it really hard for kids NOT to go to USF... he will put in the work to land a kid... he def. went above & beyond to land my nephew & get him into WKU... also did the same for a few of the other higher rated recruits"

His nephew plays at WKU. So its a solid source.

Commentary | Former Palmetto football coach Ray Woodie top recruiter in Sun Belt

By ALAN DELL

Palmetto’s favorite son, Ray Woodie, was named the Sun Belt Conference’s top recruiter last week by ESPN, the second time in his two years at Western Kentucky he has been cited for his ability to wheel in some of the best talent in the country.

Woodie and WKU head coach Willie Taggart, the former Manatee High quarterback great, are stealing so many players from Bowl Championship Series schools that those bigwigs of college football might seek an arrest warrant.

Woodie says he learned from Taggart, the top recruiter for head coach Jim Harbaugh when he turned Stanford from an also-ran to a national contender.

There is no magic to recruiting. It comes down to personality and effort. Either you have it or you don’t, but there are some basic rules you must follow, Woodie says.

His recruiting is based on two staples: Be honest and don’t fear any man -- as in Nick Saban or Les Miles or any of those guys from the elite programs.

“If you are not honest, it will come back to bite you and then you have a whole lot of explaining to do and probably lost the kid,†Woodie says. “With the Internet, kids today are very knowledgeable about what is going on at the schools they are considering. You have to be straight with them.

“You can’t be afraid of any other recruiters. If I walk into a recruit’s home and a BCS coach is coming out, I am not intimidated. I believe we’ve got more to offer. It’s a matter of showing that to the recruit and his family.â€

Last year, Woodie was named one of the top first-year recruiters in the country and praised for being able to make the transition from high school coach to college recruiter so smoothly.

WKU had only 13 scholarships to offer this year, and Woodie was responsible for more than half.

He signed five of WKU’s seven three-star recruits (Rivals.com) and a total of seven altogether, an impressive number for a non-BCS conference.

Woodie is known around here for getting some of the top players out of Manatee and Sarasota counties, but he is recruiting a big part of the country.

One of his biggest steals was signing Tampa Plant receiver Austin Aikens, who chose WKU over Missouri, Boston College, Cincinnati and Vanderbilt.

He also nabbed junior college defensive end Calvin Washington, who turned down Miami for the Hilltoppers, and junior college defensive back Brett Harrington.

Harrington said the connection he made with Woodie sold him on WKU along with what he saw as a bunch of hungry players, including Southeast High product Jon Dowling, who will be eligible next season after transferring from Florida.

Woodie is credited with swaying Palmetto High’s Daqual Randall from changing his commitment from Louisville to WKU and shunning offers from Purdue, Rutgers, Iowa State and Indiana.

He signed highly touted defensive lineman Devante Terrell, who chose WKU over Arizona State, Iowa State, Louisville and Washington State (all BCS schools).

“We want recruits who can play on Sunday, but we stress getting that degree first,†Woodie said. “We also have a lot to sell at WKU, some stuff people might not know like Romeo Crennel (Kansas City Chiefs head coach) played and coached here, and Taggart was an All-American quarterback and is an offensive genius.â€

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  55

Lol, Someone in the coaching circle, but he's an idiot... Shannon's name is coming up in regards to the Fla. State DC job though

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Lol, Someone in the coaching circle, but he's an idiot... Shannon's name is coming up in regards to the Fla. State DC job though

Now that's more possible, but I will say that I live up here, my brother in law works at Doak Campell, and pretty much my wife's entire family attended and follows FSU. No one has seriously suggested Shannon's an option for FSU. Could happen but it would surprise a lot of FSU fans up here in Tallahassee.

Funny. You are the 2nd person familiar with him to say he is an idiot. Another guy told me when he was going to HS at Palmetto that every made fun of him and said he looked high all the time. Said they were shocked when he got the head job at Palmetto a few years later.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Wel that could be the end of our LB coach....we can only hope

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,554
  • Days Won:  29

I think it's a given!