• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Official Assistant Coaches Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,404
  • Days Won:  13

Thought it might be appropriate to post this here:

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/sports/2012/dec/08/spsporto7-usf-assistants-just-keep-plugging-away-ar-580099/

USF assistants just keep plugging away

By JOEY JOHNSTON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: December 08, 2012

» Comments | Post a Comment

TAMPA --

All week, they still came to work at the Lee Roy Selmon Athletics Center, making telephone calls to recruits, checking the academic progress of current players, handling day-to-day issues.

The University of South Florida assistant football coaches, who weren't fired when the Skip Holtz era ended Sunday, have been battling through a difficult week of speculation fatigue.

Friday night, when Western Kentucky University's Willie Taggart told his players he was leaving for USF, an awkward process hit a new phase.

With no guarantees, will Taggart keep some of the USF assistants on his staff?

Logical WKU staff candidates who could follow Taggart to USF are Raymond Woodie, a former Palmetto High player who has recruited Florida for the Hilltoppers, and graduate assistant Marquel Blackwell, who still holds USF's all-time record for passing yardage.

If Taggart wants longtime familiarity with USF's program, he might look to Bulls running backs coach Larry Scott, a former USF player, and defensive tackles coach Kevin Patrick, a member of USF's inaugural staff.

All told, USF's assistants have 304 combined years of experience.

Holtz gets a $2.5-million buyout — payable in $500,000 annual installments. Beyond that, most USF assistants have no security. Defensive coordinator Chris Cosh is the only USF assistant with a contract for 2013 ($325,000 annual salary).

"It's totally based on who they choose (as USF's new head coach),'' said Scott, before learning of Taggart's hiring. "Whatever will be, will be. There's a plan for all of us. If it's time to do something else, I'll adjust if I have to. But this is my school.''

Scott said he and his fellow staff members drew upon their professionalism as they worked this week under the cloud of uncertainty.

"If you're not performing well, not putting the product out there, things like this are inevitable at some point,'' said Scott, a former USF offensive lineman. "But that's not the focus. That's not what you think about. You've got to find a way to come to work every day and be positive, put one foot in front of the other and continue to build. This part of the business, it comes with the territory.''

Patrick, a former University of Miami All-American, was on USF's inaugural staff. During USF's first game in 1997, the hard-charging Patrick led the Bulls out of the tunnel, still a point of pride.

But after three seasons, he left USF for his hometown of West Palm Beach. He owned and managed a medical billing company with an annual business of $6 million.

"I missed football,'' said Patrick, who couldn't bring himself to attend games. "Even my wife, who I didn't know at the time (of coaching), said, 'It's who you are. It's what you love.' I was fortunate that coach (Jim) Leavitt brought me back (in 2008) because it's great when you get to live your passion.''

Deep into USF's season, when the Bulls had a six-game losing streak, Patrick said with a smile, "I love doing this job. I hope I get to keep doing it. Just keep working.''

After Holtz's firing, offensive coordinator Todd Fitch was given authority over the program's football-related matters by Bulls AD Doug Woolard.

"It's not easy on anybody, obviously,'' Fitch said. "You try to take care of your family, of course, and your concerns. But you do the right things professionally.''

That includes this weekend as a handful of recruits are visiting USF's campus.

"You showcase the same things you always showcase — the academic programs, the facilities, the people,'' USF football director of player personnel Carl Franks said. "You assure them we're going to get a good coach in here and that this is a great place for anyone to be.''

Franks, director of football operations Larry Antonucci, director of high school relations Rich Rachel, Patrick and Scott were on USF's staff in January 2010, when Leavitt was fired. They were retained by Holtz.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

All I know is that Patrick and Scott were all smiles on Saturday at the press conference... They along with Fitch are out recruiting this week. I haven't seen or heard of any of the other coaches yet.

Edited by Southshore26

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,863
  • Days Won:  12

Chris Hovan is applying for the DL coaching position

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Now that'll bring some energy...

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Chris Hovan is applying for the DL coaching position

This would be awesome.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Why is that? (never seen him play)

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Why is that? (never seen him play)

He had some pretty solid years as a DT for the Vikings and Bucs. Good run stopper and could get after the QB also.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Hovan is a beast

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Twittersphere / bulls 247 saying that a former acc coach is going to be on Willie T's staff... Shannon?? I jizz my pants if true

• Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

Twittersphere / bulls 247 saying that a former acc coach is going to be on Willie T's staff... Shannon?? I jizz my pants if true

Did it say ACC head coach?

• Downvote 1