• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls in for a battle versus Nevada

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Bulls in for a battle versus Nevada

By MIKE COBB

Ledger Media Group Correspondent

Published: Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 7:45 a.m.

Last Modified: Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 7:45 a.m.

With its Big East season opener against Rutgers on the horizon just five day later, it would be easy for South Florida to look past today's game at Nevada.

It could also be a big mistake.

Make no mistake about this, though. USF's players say they know they're in for a battle today in Reno when they take on the Wolf Pack at 3:30 p.m.

The Wolf Pack, picked to finish second in the Western Athletic Conference behind Boise State, opened the season last week with a 31-24 win on the road at California. Over the past five seasons, they have taken Boise State to overtime twice, winning one of those two games, and they've played the Broncos close in the other three games.

Their quarterback from a year ago, Colin Kaepernick, was a second-round draft pick by the 49ers in April, and is the back-up to 49ers starter Alex Smith.

"I don't think they get a lot of attention from people down here (in Florida), but I definitely know about them," Bulls quarterback B.J. Daniels said.

To make sure his players know, said USF coach Skip Holtz, all he had to do this week was put on the game films of the Wolf Pack to get his team's attention.

"I think we know what we're walking into," Holtz said. "Their win at Cal helps (get his players' attention) but the thing that helps the most is just putting the film on. You put the film on and you say, 'Wow, they're a really good football team.'"

The 1-0 Bulls opened the season last week with a 34-13 win over Chattanooga in which they showed some good things on defense (six sacks) and special teams (no significant breakdowns), but inconsistency on offense, according to Holtz.

"There were some bright spots but we weren't as consistent as we'd like to be," Holtz said. "There are a lot of things we can get better on."

http://www.newschief...e-versus-Nevada

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48
  • Days Won:  0

Wow....the writer lost all credibility when he said we played in the WAC.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Funny there are so many paid to be incorrect.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48

I obviously picked the wrong line of work. If I'm wrong on something I get fired.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6

I obviously picked the wrong line of work. If I'm wrong on something I get fired.

We shoulda been weathermen.