• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why I think We will Win Saturday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

This game scares the crap out of me. I just have an odd feeling about this game, but I still think we pull this one out by 3 or 7 points. BJ is still, as a 5th year senior, too inconsistent. Thought he would have developed by now.

17/26 with 3 TDs through the air... seems pretty consistent to me.

No reason for his two turnovers against a 1-AA team.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

This game scares the crap out of me. I just have an odd feeling about this game, but I still think we pull this one out by 3 or 7 points. BJ is still, as a 5th year senior, too inconsistent. Thought he would have developed by now.

Do you also take issue with his 20 yard TD run? The man accounted for 4 TDs and threw some excellent deep balls (even threw in a pump fake on one of them). BJ's consistency is not the isssue with the ofense.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

i just love our LB core for this matchup. Lattimore and Barrington will be able to neutralize any type of QB run game they have.

The Pistol offense puts a ton of pressure on outside linebackers and d-ends. Preparing for the Nevada offense in one week is next to impossible so I would suspect Skip worked in some Nevada stuff during fall camp. But if he didn't, it could be a very challenging matchup for USF despite having a speed advantage.

USF's best defnsive players are OLB and DEs

Then that should bode well for your defense then....

Wasn't UT-C trying to run plays out of the pistol? I do stress trying.

There is a distinct difference between team which runs the Pistol as a package, versus what Nevada runs as it's base offense. It's like the difference between a guy who races cars on weekends and a professional race car driver.

Edited by battle.borne

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,435
  • Days Won:  19

Defending the pistol is all about playing disciplined, assignment football and maintaining the gaps so that you can contain the power running game component as well as the quick passing game. I am less concerned about speed than I am about maintaining discipline in our new defensive system. I'm sure we were working on this before UTC.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Defending the pistol is all about playing disciplined, assignment football and maintaining the gaps so that you can contain the power running game component as well as the quick passing game. I am less concerned about speed than I am about maintaining discipline in our new defensive system. I'm sure we were working on this before UTC.

That seems to be the greatest improvement under the coaching of our new DC Cosh. He is a real stickler for details.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

There is a distinct difference between team which runs the Pistol as a package, versus what Nevada runs as it's base offense. It's like the difference between a guy who races cars on weekends and a professional race car driver.

That why I said "trying".

I do enjoy watching Nevada play when they are on TV.

No doubt. I watched Virgina Tech run some Pistol against GTech with some success but very few teams run it as their base offense.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Do you also take issue with his 20 yard TD run? The man accounted for 4 TDs and threw some excellent deep balls (even threw in a pump fake on one of them). BJ's consistency is not the isssue with the ofense.

Against teams with more talent than 1AA squads those 20 yard touchdown run lanes are going to be a lot smaller and close a lot more quickly. There also wont be as many wide open WR 's down field for deep balls.

That's why the nitpicking on the mistakes is the focus. That pick happens 100% of the time that ball is thrown against an FBS defense. Those deep balls go from wide open receivers to possibly well covered receivers. They just don't mean as much projected against other teams.

Yes he gets full credit for the 4 TDs, but let's see it against Nevada and Rutgers before we get too far ahead of ourselves.

Edited by Bull Martin

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

No doubt. I watched Virgina Tech run some Pistol against GTech with some success but very few teams run it as their base offense.

Even we run the pistol a bit. LOL

B J Daniels would be one of the greatest Qb's if he played in an option system. We have been trying not to run him as much as he once did and allow our skill players to carry more of the load. We can't afford to have him injured this year.