• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF needs improvement in graduation rates!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

how much of these numbers include veterans? I could not graduate in 4 years.. Uncle Sam said so.....

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Engineering is 126 credits. Department graduation plan is 15 credit hours nearly every semester and 1 summer of 9 credit hours. This will have a student graduating in 4 years. If you were to take 12 credits per semester and 1 summer it would take 5 years to graduate. 9 credits per semester and two summers of class would take 6 years.

Based on that, the statistics indicate that 50% of the students are taking on average 9 credit hours or less per semester and/or not taking classes in the summer. That's pretty terrible, the students should be capable of at least 12 if not working. This is why I am a fan encouraging the 15 credit hours per semester.

If somebody's working full-time and taking classes at night, most can't take even 9 credits/ semester, much less 12 or 15. 6 is a more likely average.

This whole 6-year rate is something dreamed up by traditional, rural, campus-based schools to protect their image and their power against modern, urban, commuter schools.

How long it takes someone is nowhere near as important as what they learn and the benefit they get from graduating.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Completely understand if someone is working full time and taking night classes, but do you think that is 50% of the students? I don't. My guess would be less than a quarter. Of course we will have a lower 4 and 6 year graduation rate than a college town university.college towns lack the industry and working demographic that would attend night classes for a career advancing degree. Being a city, yes we have a lot more people who may be working full time, mid career, and are taking night classes. It's not a fair expectation to have graduation rates as high as college town universities but it will always be used against us and I think we can do better than a 50% 6 year graduation rate.

Completely understand if someone is working full time and taking night classes, but do you think that is 50% of the students? I don't. My guess would be less than a quarter. Of course we will have a lower 4 and 6 year graduation rate than a college town university.college towns lack the industry and working demographic that would attend night classes for a career advancing degree. Being a city, yes we have a lot more people who may be working full time, mid career, and are taking night classes. It's not a fair expectation to have graduation rates as high as college town universities but it will always be used against us and I think we can do better than a 50% 6 year graduation rate.

Better yet, let's just report the statistics separately...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  1

I'm by no means an authority, but as a current Grad student I hear a number of students complain that some courses are only offered infrequently. I can't help but wonder if this is a valid complaint and what if any impact this has on the graduation rate.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

I'm by no means an authority, but as a current Grad student I hear a number of students complain that some courses are only offered infrequently. I can't help but wonder if this is a valid complaint and what if any impact this has on the graduation rate.

That definitely plays a part in it. You can't have classes every semester if you can't afford them. However, at worst, the required classes are offered once a year. Its usually certain electives that are offered once every other year. I missed a couple awesome classes in Computer Science because of that...

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Students are lazy. The upper end finish on time, the lower end don't. We have too many of the latter. Or did, it's improving I think. (I didn't read the article)

My engineering undergrad pushed 140 credits. I finished it in 3.5 years. I finished my Masters in another 1.5 years. I finished in this time because of life constraints/demands. If I didn't have them I'd probably have stretched it out as well. And, yes, this meant often taking 15+ credit hours every semester and summer classes every single year.

Edited by The Great 8

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

http://www2.tbo.com/...ates-ar-418613/

The article mentions only about 1/3rd of students graduate in 4 years and only 1/2 graduate in 6 years! Not sure what stat is worse lol.

Curious your guys thoughts and why it's that low. More importantly what can they do about it...

Raise admission requirements. Don't let so many people in.

http://www2.tbo.com/...ates-ar-418613/

The article mentions only about 1/3rd of students graduate in 4 years and only 1/2 graduate in 6 years! Not sure what stat is worse lol.

Curious your guys thoughts and why it's that low. More importantly what can they do about it...

Raise admission requirements. Don't let so many people in.

Oh_No_You_Didn__t-300x277.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197
  • Days Won:  0

Better screening of applicants and ultimately less admitted students at both levels. Entering freshman and community college transfers. It's just to convenient to be a part time student when the campus is located in an urban setting where most people grew up. There simply is no need to get in and get out when your parents, friends and family are all here. Most of our students fall into this category. Taking 12 credits during spring and fall and 6 over the summer is very reasonable. Time to grow up, adults dont have summer vacations from obligations.