• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

usf - academic instituition

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2,622 posts and 2,500+ are on one topic. Give it a rest dude, we get it.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

This all goes to the fact that USF isn't an AAU institution yet. You'd have to believe that we will be soon with all of the research dollars that come pouring into here and the great business school we have. The median freshman student admitted to USF has a 3.5-4.1 GPA and scores between a 1620-1910 (out of 2400) on the SAT. The average score on the SAT nationwide is a 1538. So in reality we are actually on par with UF & FSU in regards to freshman admissions. Not sure what the ACC schools require because I don't feel like doing the research, but I can't believe their requirements are that much more higher than ours.

I wouldnt count on that membership anytime soon, if ever, if I were you. The AAU is a private organization, admittance is by invitation only.

There are a lot of schools out there that have impressive resumes that have existed a lot longer than USF that I would think would get consideration long before USF did. The AAU is old school money, USF is the nouveau riche.

And the AAU wants to continue to remain exclusive, it is not necessarily looking to add members. What is the point of an exclusive and prestigious group if anyone can get into it?

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

This all goes to the fact that USF isn't an AAU institution yet. You'd have to believe that we will be soon with all of the research dollars that come pouring into here and the great business school we have. The median freshman student admitted to USF has a 3.5-4.1 GPA and scores between a 1620-1910 (out of 2400) on the SAT. The average score on the SAT nationwide is a 1538. So in reality we are actually on par with UF & FSU in regards to freshman admissions. Not sure what the ACC schools require because I don't feel like doing the research, but I can't believe their requirements are that much more higher than ours.

I wouldnt count on that membership anytime soon, if ever, if I were you. The AAU is a private organization, admittance is by invitation only.

There are a lot of schools out there that have impressive resumes that have existed a lot longer than USF that I would think would get consideration long before USF did. The AAU is old school money, USF is the nouveau riche.

And the AAU wants to continue to remain exclusive, it is not necessarily looking to add members. What is the point of an exclusive and prestigious group if anyone can get into it?

Even that nouveau riche explanation isn't appropriate. There are only 34 public schools that are members. FSU, UGA, Alabama, Auburn, etc. aren't members. With Pitt leaving, Rutgers is the only Big East school in it. Even Notre Dame isn't a member.

You get in by a vote of the current members, which includes UF so I doubt USF is getting in any time soon or ever. Criteria is research spending, the percentage of faculty who are members of the National Academies, faculty awards, and citations.