• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

usf - academic instituition

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

"There's also the question out there about whether the ACC, academic snobs that they are, would even add South Florida, Louisville, and Cincinnati, three awful academic institutions."

Wow-guess so, it's in writing...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Fortunately, I believe this site is little more than fans writing their own blogs as opposed to real journalism. But still, you would hope that someone would do some research before posting something like this. USF is a school that is planning on becoming an AAU institution. Whether USF makes it or not, clearly an awful academic institution would not have such lofty goals, and would not be ranking high in research dollars.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

This all goes to the fact that USF isn't an AAU institution yet. You'd have to believe that we will be soon with all of the research dollars that come pouring into here and the great business school we have. The median freshman student admitted to USF has a 3.5-4.1 GPA and scores between a 1620-1910 (out of 2400) on the SAT. The average score on the SAT nationwide is a 1538. So in reality we are actually on par with UF & FSU in regards to freshman admissions. Not sure what the ACC schools require because I don't feel like doing the research, but I can't believe their requirements are that much more higher than ours.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

it's one sentence.

guy uses ergo and erstwhile trying to sound intelligent...dumbass. his blog is witty and readable at best.

also, cincinnati is on the short list for AAU admission, guy is a friggin retard if he didn't research that. he's just automatically assuming big east schools and schools that aren't top brand names are automatically academically poor.

USF doesn't have the best and brightest, but we also have a sheer volume of students that makes it hard to keep those numbers in check. the admissions isn't on lockdown and we don't have the luxury of national championships to drive enrollment interest like Florida did, where we would be able to be more selective with more demand. but USF DOES have massive research tied to it, and most people outside of Tampa are just oblivious to that fact and think we're just some pieced together commuter school with a bunch of community college UF/FSU rejects or something.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

This all goes to the fact that USF isn't an AAU institution yet. You'd have to believe that we will be soon with all of the research dollars that come pouring into here and the great business school we have. The median freshman student admitted to USF has a 3.5-4.1 GPA and scores between a 1620-1910 (out of 2400) on the SAT. The average score on the SAT nationwide is a 1538. So in reality we are actually on par with UF & FSU in regards to freshman admissions. Not sure what the ACC schools require because I don't feel like doing the research, but I can't believe their requirements are that much more higher than ours.

not to mention the medical, pharmacy, and dental schools coming in the future (assuming jd a55hole polytech doesn't steal them) will help tremendously as they inherently have to have high admission standards, and will also attract graduate students from other institutions, so it's not like adding 30 generic programs and admitting thousands of undergrads with halfass GPAs

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

New policies in College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the one ANYONE accepted to USF can declare their major in, recently raised the minimum acceptable grade to receive credit in from D- to C-. Weed out the slackers who do just enough to get by. I was pretty astonished when a self-proclaimed slacker in my class informed me of the D- policy. He stank of Ranch and Mary Jane. They are also requiring more math courses for some majors, effective Fall 2012. So yeah, we aren't that great academically but the school is raising the minimum requirements to get a degree and trying to raise our academic profile.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

New policies in College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the one ANYONE accepted to USF can declare their major in, recently raised the minimum acceptable grade to receive credit in from D- to C-. Weed out the slackers who do just enough to get by. I was pretty astonished when a self-proclaimed slacker in my class informed me of the D- policy. He stank of Ranch and Mary Jane. They are also requiring more math courses for some majors, effective Fall 2012. So yeah, we aren't that great academically but the school is raising the minimum requirements to get a degree and trying to raise our academic profile.

You need a 2.0 - either in all major-related classes, or all classes period, I can't really remember - in order to graduate, so a D- is not "just enough to get by." A C- is "just enough to get by." I am consistently amazed by the number of students that get Cs and Ds and are not embarrassed by it.

EDIT: Actually, a C- is 1.67 GPA points, so even a C- is not good enough as an average.

Edited by gobulls83
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  332
  • Days Won:  1

You need a 2.0 - either in all major-related classes, or all classes period, I can't really remember - in order to graduate, so a D- is not "just enough to get by." A C- is "just enough to get by." I am consistently amazed by the number of students that get Cs and Ds and are not embarrassed by it.

EDIT: Actually, a C- is 1.67 GPA points, so even a C- is not good enough as an average.

I don't remember the ins and outs since I don't get anything below a B. You can get a D- and still receive credit for the course if its a general elective. Not an elective related to the major, but just a general elective. I'm not really sure and I don't care enough to look for the actual policy since I'm on my phone. Regardless, a D-, if currently acceptable to receive credit for any course, is embarassingly low.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

Our freshman class this year was similar to Florida State.