• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Florida State takes a giant mascot leap backward

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

They're not doing away with Osceola.... but he'll only be seen at home football games from now on.

• Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

they actually said it was because chief osceola and his horse were too intimidating and scary to kids. but last time i checked, mascots are for the students, not necessarily little kids...and an established university like fsu doesn't have to appeal to little kids, their alums and fans brainwash them from birth as it is (same goes for UF). now usf being so young does have to appeal to the younger kids since they want that family atmosphere at RJS (rolling eyes), but rocky is a good mascot.

i'd be okay with it if they keep the chief for football games and maybe basketball (does he even appear for those?), and let this little warhorse frolic around at baseball and volleyball or something.

granted, i'm sure the pc crowd will love this regardless if they do away with the chief....granted i never thought it wasn't PC, i mean the seminoles gave them permission! the only thing that could be construed as not pc about it is the fact that it's usually a white guy in makeup. and how is the horse covered in native american tribe markings pc? lol

You must have read another article besides the one posted here ...?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

they actually said it was because chief osceola and his horse were too intimidating and scary to kids. but last time i checked, mascots are for the students, not necessarily little kids...and an established university like fsu doesn't have to appeal to little kids, their alums and fans brainwash them from birth as it is (same goes for UF). now usf being so young does have to appeal to the younger kids since they want that family atmosphere at RJS (rolling eyes), but rocky is a good mascot.

i'd be okay with it if they keep the chief for football games and maybe basketball (does he even appear for those?), and let this little warhorse frolic around at baseball and volleyball or something.

granted, i'm sure the pc crowd will love this regardless if they do away with the chief....granted i never thought it wasn't PC, i mean the seminoles gave them permission! the only thing that could be construed as not pc about it is the fact that it's usually a white guy in makeup. and how is the horse covered in native american tribe markings pc? lol

hearsay from local radio actually.

hearsay from local radio actually.

That would explain it ... Ron and Ian?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

no, it was based off an initial report. and i wasn't implying they would remove chief and horse for football, just covering my stance if they had considered it. but it was true that they wanted a more kid friendly mascot...which i disagree with but oh well.

they're the ones that have to live with my little pony now.

no, it was based off an initial report. and i wasn't implying they would remove chief and horse for football, just covering my stance if they had considered it. but it was true that they wanted a more kid friendly mascot...which i disagree with but oh well.

they're the ones that have to live with my little pony now.

I hope they don't use it except where a kid friendly thing is needed ... Does Osecola show up at hoops games now or is it just football?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Growing up Nole, I went to at least one game a year from single digit age until high school at Doak. I loved Chief Osceola and Renegade and on the occasion when I would go to other sporting events at FSU, I always wished that Osceola and Renegade were there.

Why a kid friendly mascot is needed now, I don't know ... unless kids are getting softer now.

I haven't seen UF trying to come up with a friendlier-looking Albert or Alberta.

Growing up Nole, I went to at least one game a year from single digit age until high school at Doak. I loved Chief Osceola and Renegade and on the occasion when I would go to other sporting events at FSU, I always wished that Osceola and Renegade were there.

Why a kid friendly mascot is needed now, I don't know ... unless kids are getting softer now.

I haven't seen UF trying to come up with a friendlier-looking Albert or Alberta.

Albert and Alberta already are friendlier-looking so there's really no need there ... I can understand another mascot for the non-football stuff but ****, something a little more butch looking would have been better, IMO .... maybe just a smaller set of eyes. Those large ones make it look it too soft.