• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Schadenfreude (The UM Investigation)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,279
  • Days Won:  10

Maimi had a lack of institutional control.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/20111221ohio_state_handed_one-year_bowl_ban_by_ncaa/srvc=sports&position=also

LOS ANGELES — A yearlong investigation into Ohio State’s football program ended Tuesday when the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions handed down sanctions that include a one-year bowl ban and the loss of nine scholarships over the next three years.

Ohio State was cited for failure to monitor, which is not as serious as lack of institutional control, the finding that doomed USC in 2010 after a five-year investigation centered on former tailback Reggie Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

The NCAA is wildly inconsistent and choosy in its punishments, but I think the Ohio State one is decent. Banning Pryor for 5 years is eh. Banning Tressel from coaching for 5 years (in college) is eh...unless the school that wants him gets a waiver and tells why they want him.

The bowl ban works, and on a personal note, I'm laughing that they get to stick it to Urban Meyer for his first year...but then if they have a down year (6-6 or whatever), he'll have a prepackaged excuse.

I fully expect Miami to get at least a 1 year bowl ban on top of this year's self imposed ban, and likely a few more scholarships, maybe loss of 3 for 3-5 years instead of 3-4 over 3 years like OSU got. I don't think it could be worse than that though.

• Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

Maimi had a lack of institutional control.

http://www.bostonher...s&position=also

LOS ANGELES — A yearlong investigation into Ohio State’s football program ended Tuesday when the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions handed down sanctions that include a one-year bowl ban and the loss of nine scholarships over the next three years.

Ohio State was cited for failure to monitor, which is not as serious as lack of institutional control, the finding that doomed USC in 2010 after a five-year investigation centered on former tailback Reggie Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo.

I don't think you understand the meaning of words.

The NCAA has previously ruled that actions by an assistant coach don't constitute LoIC. In fact, to date, Miami has not even been charged with LoIC. Yet you speak as if it has been proven.

What is the LoIC? We "should have known"? That is called Failure to Monitor, not LoIC. FtM is a lesser charge than LoIC.

I have tried to explain this to you guys, but a couple of you were too self-satisfied about using the word schadenfreude to listen.

Ohio State's case involved 8 athletes accepting 14,000 in benefits. Miami had 8 players suspended for accepting less than 5,000 in benefits.

Ohio State's case involved a head coach lying to the school and NCAA. Miami's case involves a couple of assistant coaches who are no longer with UM and were let go before allegations were made.

Ohio State got a FtM charge, not an LoIC charge, even though the head coach was involved. Miami will most likely get a FtM charge and not an LoIC charge.

Ohio State got a 1 year bowl ban because athletes who violated the amateurism rules played in a bowl while ineligible. Miami has already taken its 1 year bowl ban because athletes who violated the amateurism rules played in a bowl while ineligible.

Ohio State was penalized 9 scholarships over 4 years. Why do you think that Miami's punishment will deviate from those parameters?

We can all sit around talking about the Yahoo article, but I tried to tell you - that article is not evidence, it has not been admitted into evidence. None of the former players have spoken to the NCAA. Everyone who dislikes Miami can wail and gnash their teeth and wear sackcloth and ashes, but it just doesn't matter.

Take a look at the recent cases, and you will see the kinder, gentler NCAA approach.

1. Tennessee/Pearl (violations in 4 sports) - gave Pearl and three assistants a show cause penalty, but otherwise accepted Tennessee's self-imposed sanctions, because Tennessee cooperated (notwithstanding Pearl's lies).

2. Boise (violations in 5 sports involving 75) - the NCAA hit Boise with a lot of charges, INCLUDING FTM AND LOIC, and cited that the violations were widespread and that Boise had poor controls in place. The NCAA added 6 scholarship losses to Boise's 3 self-imposed scholarship reductions (football). Otherwise, Boise was very cooperative.

3. Ohio State (8 football players, over 14,000 in extra benefits) - the NCAA added 4 scholarship losses to the 5 that OSU self-imposed. Only a FtM charge, no LoIC for Tressel's lying. OSU was very cooperative after discovering Tressel's lies and letting him go.

4. North Carolina (14 football players total, over 30,000 in extra benefits) - still waiting for a final ruling, but UNC self-imposed 9 scholarship reduction, coaches have been fired, etc. Also, though it seems redundant, North Carolina has been very cooperative.

Now, seriously folks...given the fact that Miami is not at the top with "number of players involved" or "total benefits received" or "head coach involvement" (though we are in the lead with unprecedented cooperation, including giving NCAA access to players' social media accounts), why do you think that our penalties will be any worse than the four cases cited above?

Even if UM self-imposed at the top end of the scale (9 scholarships) and was hit with the NCAA's biggest "addition" to the penalties (6 scholarships), that is still only 15 scholarships. And our PROVEN allegations are nowhere close to the level of any cited above.

Schadenfreude. For the Miami haters.

• 2 weeks later...

Read it and weep, those of you who were predicting that UM was going to get hard. The countdown to the conclusion of this case (and the imposition of 9 scholarship reductions) begins now:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/29/2566233/university-of-miami-to-repay-83000.html

No further testimony. No evidence. No old-and-cold charges. No death penalty.

It's over, Johnny!

(Hey, can I embed that scene from First Blood when Col. Trautman tells Rambo that it's over?)

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

??? It only gives more credence to them for a lack of institutional control. This would now be evidence that the university is paying people off to prevent the discovery of further evidence.

??? It only gives more credence to them for a lack of institutional control. This would now be evidence that the university is paying people off to prevent the discovery of further evidence.

Clearly, you didn't read. UM settled because the legal fees would have exceeded the claims. It's called "nuisance factor".

There will be no LoIC. Regardless of how much you lust for it.

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I don't lust for it. Did you graduate from Miami? I find it reprehensible that anyone affiliated with the university would be happy with this. Any way you slice it Miami did very bad things and the administration was involved. Making excuses for it is pathetic. I would be embarrassed for my school if this was going on, not out bragging about how we are not going to get caught. This is college pal.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

(Hey, can I embed that scene from First Blood when Col. Trautman tells Rambo that it's over?)

If it's clean ...... and you're smart enough to do it.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That whole thing is rather disgusting. I would not be proud of my university for paying someone off to shut them up.

But I guess everyone has their own morals and ethics, no matter how low they are.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Has anyone figured out why Miami fan is hanging out here to discuss their impending doom?

Don't they have their own message boards? We aren't even rivals or conference brethren.

Archived