• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oracle: ‘Tampa Bay’ to be added to USF’s name

USFishin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I still think that The University of the State of Florida works better, and it keeps the "USF"

If we do make the change to TBU or UTB then I think we should also switch the colors to Red and Black and become the Pirates

Why not make it the Bay University @ Tampa and then we'd be the BUT Pirates.

This is the only acceptable name change in my book... lol

Also South Florida does fit... we are the Southern most Floridian university in the state... everything south of about Manatee County is Yankee retirement land and New Cuba. They should just cut that part of the state off and let it float away.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I think it's an idiotic idea. Some people say Tampa isn't South Florida. Well Tampa Bay is a body of water. The last time I was on Campus in Tampa it appeared to be on dry land.

Why should we care if some people don't know what town we are in as long as they know "University of South Florida.". I would bet most people don't know the towns of most state universities around the country.

We change uniforms every week, we want to change the school name, and then we whine about the lack of tradition. Why don't we just go by Florida University and when somebody asks where you went to school the reply could be FU.

If they change the name I would consider not donating to the school any more, and I am sure that I would not be alone.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

While Tampa Bay is technically a body of water, it also has come to refer to the area and has been for some time now. It's really not that big of a deal.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

It's an idiot idea and I doubt I can support the school with this name honestly. I dont care how that sounds, I just know it sounds better than University of South Florida of Tampa Bay. As if USF isnt directional enough. If they are going to do this I hope its soon so I can transfer in time before next semester

• Content Count:  117
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with Namuh Bull. Idiotic idea! What a great way to build tradition...keep changing everything.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Not a fighter but I went to an NCSU game a few years back and was seriously considering beating the violation out of a drunk NCSU fan who wouldn't let the name thing go. He kept asking me if USF taught geography and if I knew which way was west and east, etc. After like 45 minutes of his insults, I actually told my brother to get ready cause it was about to go down. Thankfully for him (and me, and my bro lol) a heavy rain came and he left. Save for jerks like him, I like our name.

Also, if the state Board of Regents approached USF and FIU to switch names, I would not dismiss them immediately if the University System is willing to pay our school dearly over the next 20 years in exchange for surrendering our better known name. Everything has a price.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It's not a name change, they're just adding a tag line.

• Content Count:  201
  • Days Won:  0

Too bad Sewanee already has the "University of the South" name all locked up. Could have been University of the South, Florida

Archived