• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami, Golden agree to 4-year extension

Brad

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  0

Enjoy the sanctions

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  21,282
  • Days Won:  10

When are the sanctions going to come down. They should not be allowed to play in a bowl. Heard that Ray Ray Armstrong made another mistake this season and the coach suspended him for one game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

They're not playing in a bowl ...

I thought when they beat USF they qualified. My mistake.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Miami pulled a preemptive "we'll sanction ourselves by deferring this year's bowl game" in a move of contrition, hoping the NCAA won't be too harsh on them. I hope they get the book thrown at them.

They should have a ton thrown at them

• Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

You guys are hilarious. I understand your feelings, but you have to deal with reality.

Bowl game bans are standard when you have played in one or more with ineligible players. Because our players truthfully admitted to the extra benefits that they accepted, we are DEFINITELY going to get one or more bowl bans based upon the timing of when they accepted bowl benefits. USC got a 2 bowl ban due to the fact that Reggie Bush took extra benefits in the seasons leading up to 2 bowl games. While I would hope that the UM players only took benefits in the 2010 year, it is possible that we could get a 2nd bowl ban (extra benefits in 2009) and maybe a 3rd bowl ban (extra benefits in 2008). We did not play in a bowl in 2007, and all of the players were not on the roster prior.

So this isn't some olive branch to the NCAA, in an effort to get "less sanctions". We are doing what USC did, try to get the bowl bans out of the way before embracing the scholarship loss portion. We are NOT offering any scholarship losses in the February 2012, so if we do get a second bowl ban (and no third), our bowl bans will be over before we are ever docked a single scholarship.

As for the scholarships, you are definitely not going to be thrilled about this, but it is what it is. None of our former players have agreed to speak to the NCAA, so you can forget about all of the Yahoo allegations involving former players. I know that Yahoo will never admit it, but the seemingly largest monetary violations involving former players were things that were given after guys turned pro. Even most of the "boat" photos were taken at times when guys had already turned pro.

Setting that aside, the NCAA has all of the truthful testimony from players (including those not at UM who were given immunity). Miami itself has completely cooperated with the NCAA in every way. Even when we suspended Ray Ray for a game for Tweeting about dinner with his girlfriend, it was 100% protective in nature until the NCAA could vet the situation. And you shouldn't discount the fact that while he was HC, Randy Shannon had sent numerous things to the NCAA asking for them to step in and police the problems in SoFla with street agents, traveling teams, diploma mills, and friends-and-family shopping sprees.

In light of the unprecedented levels of access, cooperation, and guidance that Miami has offered, we will get "mid-severity" scholarship losses, probably around 18 over 3-4 years, likely beginning in 2013. Once the bowl bans are over, those scholarship losses are manageable, hence our shift in recruiting over the last couple of months to more JuCo/prep kids.

We'll be fine and back on top soon. Fortunately, Golden had to rely on a lot of JuCo kids to rebuild Temple, so he knows how to do this.

When was the last time Miami won a National Championship? Yeah, that is what I thought.

Archived