• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Engineering beyond the class room.

Gismo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,672
  • Days Won:  8

The University of South Florida Society of Automotive Engineers proudly presents its 2011 Formula SAE car. Designed and built from the ground up by students, this car traveled across the United States to compete against teams from around the world. This car placed 22nd overall out of 80 teams in the 2011 Formula SAE California competition.

Created by Diamond View Studios, Ltd.
DiamondViewStudios.com

What school placed first?

For the record... it's not an even playing field by any means. Budgets ranges from like $20,000 to over $100,000+ . . . then along with university resources and support some teams get very little and some get a whole lot ranging from machining, to automotive engineering faculty and senior electives.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I didn't know we even had an SAE chapter at USF. Or are most of the racers MechE's?

Nearly everyone is a Mech E but anyone is welcome. No, USF doesn't offer an automotive engineering degree and most of the competing universities don't, only a select few, nearly all the teams are full of mechanical engineers.

The organization has a lot of needs that don't require an engineering major and could actually be better met by business related majors. It just seems that mechanical majors are the only ones with enough interest in the cars to want to get involved.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Looks like a lot of fun. Who is/are the faculty advisers?

I saw one photo with 5 or 6 different cars, does the club still own them all, or do they get sold to raise money for the next car?

The old cars are sold to former members.

Sadly the club has little faculty support, but Dr. Dubey, the department chair is listed as the adviser. He signs the needed paperwork.

The faculty really don't give the team members enough credit for what it really takes to field a car at competition. Most of the core members spend 20+ hours per week throughout the year on this project and some have had to drop classes and delay graduation because of it.

I once went to a professor to try and get some support and he said something along the lines of "Well you're not really engineering, you're just building, not engineering." This was two years ago.

I heard they gave a presentation to the faculty this year, so I hope that is helping to change their perspective.

The 2011 car placed 8th in the design event, which is the most prestigious event because after all it is an engineering design competition... no thanks to the faculty. Ford, GM and Honda all have recruiters at these events and collect resumes. Some internships with these companies list Formula or Baja SAE experience as a REQUIREMENT to even be considered. I wonder how they feel about our engineering (er... building) of the cars. If it weren't for some questionable driving leading to driving penalties in the endurance event the team could have placed as high as 13th overall.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Nearly everyone is a Mech E but anyone is welcome. No, USF doesn't offer an automotive engineering degree and most of the competing universities don't, only a select few, nearly all the teams are full of mechanical engineers.

The organization has a lot of needs that don't require an engineering major and could actually be better met by business related majors. It just seems that mechanical majors are the only ones with enough interest in the cars to want to get involved.

Anything an MIS major could help with? I love cars and racing and modding, etc. I originally wanted to be a mechE major because of it. I would love to do anything to help out a good cause.

Anything an MIS major could help with? I love cars and racing and modding, etc. I originally wanted to be a mechE major because of it. I would love to do anything to help out a good cause.

There's always stuff to help out with. I would get in touch with one of the current members to find out when they're meeting, but there should be meetings every Tuesday at 8:00pm at the shop which is next to parking and transportation.

Here is the website: www.usfracing.com

Archived