• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

?? How many Students Live on Campus ??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Trying to settle an argument with a buddy of mine... I think its around 10K... he insists that it is around 20K... can't find diddly on the net to end this pointless argument.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Thanks

&

**** it... both of us were wrong... #$%^

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

wish it was 10k

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

The number is a little misleading

It is true that it is the number of students living on campus, however:

What some don't know is that the whole "residential/commuter" classification takes affiliated off-campus housing into account as well

You need a percentage of student living on-campus or in affiliated housing to be classified as "residential," (for USF, i believe it would be about 10k,) and these numbers can be played with.

For example.. when UCF'er make a big deal about them being classified as a "residential" campus, and think that all of the dorms are on campus, they are incorrect.

(And I always find this hilarious that they don't even know what they are talking about.)

UCF actually has about the same amount of ON-CAMPUS housing as USF (about 5,800.) However, UCF includes in their residential numbers almost 4000 OFF-CAMPUS affiliated housing.

Meanwhile, USF doesn't associate itself with private off-campus housing.

If USF did the same thing and had the nearby housing along the BullRunner route become affiliated, our number would jump considerably. (They are, however, actually starting to talk with them.)

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

For "commuter" purposes several things are taken into account, depends on who is classifying it. Some use students living within a certain radius of the school. Others factors like part time students. Average age of undergrad students. Parking. Etc are used.

The number is a little misleading

It is true that it is the number of students living on campus, however:

What some don't know is that the whole "residential/commuter" classification takes affiliated off-campus housing into account as well

You need a percentage of student living on-campus or in affiliated housing to be classified as "residential," (for USF, i believe it would be about 10k,) and these numbers can be played with.

For example.. when UCF'er make a big deal about them being classified as a "residential" campus, and think that all of the dorms are on campus, they are incorrect.

(And I always find this hilarious that they don't even know what they are talking about.)

UCF actually has about the same amount of ON-CAMPUS housing as USF (about 5,800.) However, UCF includes in their residential numbers almost 4000 OFF-CAMPUS affiliated housing.

Meanwhile, USF doesn't associate itself with private off-campus housing.

If USF did the same thing and had the nearby housing along the BullRunner route become affiliated, our number would jump considerably. (They are, however, actually starting to talk with them.)

USF should had done this years ago... would be a cheap way to expand the campus... USF should annex everything around the Bull Runner as "on-campus"... USF has the same rights that a small city does and as such can annex land just like a city can...

Annex = $0

• Content Count:  3,691

What's the deal with the complex off of Fletcher where Palm Dr comes off of campus? Cant' think of the name of it. It looked empty last time I drove by.

I think its called University something...

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

What's the deal with the complex off of Fletcher where Palm Dr comes off of campus? Cant' think of the name of it. It looked empty last time I drove by.

Are you talking about "The Edge"?

It used to be Fontana Hall.

The previous owner went bankrupt and pretty much left the building abandoned after 2009.

A new company (Landmark) bought out the property earlier this year and was going to remodel it and make it one of the first university affiliated housing I mentioned before.

It will be called Sky Tower Suites (http://skytowersuites.com/)

Archived