• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs UCF Rivalry To Resume Next Year?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That game was over in the 3rd quarter until brain farts by our coaching staff.

That cannot be possible. According to the people on this board, those didn't start happening until this year.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is it we can't call Miami a rival, but we should call UCiF a rival? I'm still stuck on that. Really, neither is. I think that is most accurate.

Our low self-esteem as a school and football program is going to hurt us.

Must be the first time in the history of any type of football where one team has won all the games played (and one by 64 to 12 the same year the other won its conference) and yet it is considered a heated rivalry

No idiot, it's called Michigan - Ohio state, see who won the first 10 games and by how much

Was it considered a rivalry in 1907?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,963
  • Days Won:  469

How is it we can't call Miami a rival, but we should call UCiF a rival? I'm still stuck on that. Really, neither is. I think that is most accurate.

Must be the first time in the history of any type of football where one team has won all the games played (and one by 64 to 12 the same year the other won its conference) and yet it is considered a heated rivalry

It's called Michigan - Ohio state, see who won the first 10 games and by how much

Interesting example.

The inaugural meeting between Ohio State and Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1897 resulted in a lopsided victory for Michigan, with the Wolverines posting a 34–0 win over Ohio State's Buckeyes. The first game foretold a long Michigan winning streak, with Michigan winning or tying every match from 1897 to 1912 and thereby compiling a 12–0–2 record before the contest was postponed for several years.

So you think Michigan really thought Ohio State was their rival? They didn't play again until they were in the same conference.

So it seems similar to USF and UCiF . They get the snot beaten out of them. The series ended. The teams end up in conference together and that is the end of the similarity. We'll just have to wait to see if this ever becomes a rivalry and if you can compare it to Michigan/Ohio State. As a UCFer, I guess it's possible.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Some people seem to forget that the last game went to OT.... I was there and that was no blow out.

You were there and don't remember our thorough domination until around 6 minutes left in the game?? 6 minutes to go, 2 td lead and we're throwing the ball?? Pick ... 35 yards later, Kanigit TD. Then next drive stalls and we kick the ball to the only UCFer on the field with a pulse that day, return for 30 or so .... 30 or so later, TD.

Coaching staff doesn't execute on the field. That's why the game is 60 minutes... it's up to the players... the talent. And that was my point. The players on the field are close to the same level of talent... out two universities compete on many players when it comes to recruiting... Just off the top of my head, one of our top OL and top WR prospects are strongly considering UCF over USF.

My point is that if you take away all of the fringe stuff... fanbases, stadiums, coaching staffs, facilities.... The teams on the field... the players... are very close to the same level.

Many of these kids grew up in High School together... you can say it's not a rivalry all you want but I'll wager that if we end up playing UCF next season it will be one of the bigger games of the season to them... just like the kids from FSU and UF and UM.

My point is that if you take away all of the fringe stuff... fanbases, stadiums, coaching staffs, facilities.... The teams on the field... the players... are very close to the same level.

A coaching staff is fringe stuff? Really?

Aside from that, you are talking about a UCF team that lost to FIU...and UAB. They aren't that bad, but I can't imagine the two teams are close in talent right now.

• Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

Some people seem to forget that the last game went to OT.... I was there and that was no blow out.

You were there and don't remember our thorough domination until around 6 minutes left in the game?? 6 minutes to go, 2 td lead and we're throwing the ball?? Pick ... 35 yards later, Kanigit TD. Then next drive stalls and we kick the ball to the only UCFer on the field with a pulse that day, return for 30 or so .... 30 or so later, TD.

Coaching staff doesn't execute on the field. That's why the game is 60 minutes... it's up to the players... the talent. And that was my point. The players on the field are close to the same level of talent... out two universities compete on many players when it comes to recruiting... Just off the top of my head, one of our top OL and top WR prospects are strongly considering UCF over USF.

Many of these kids grew up in High School together... you can say it's not a rivalry all you want but I'll wager that if we end up playing UCF next season it will be one of the bigger games of the season to them... just like the kids from FSU and UF and UM.

Don't shift gears on me ... I was just addressing your hazy memory of that evening in 2008.

.... but as far as the other stuff in this post, if the players on the field have been that close to the same level, is the UCF staff THAT much worse than ours have been? ..... and I'm sure if we play them next year the players will get a litlle extra jazzed because of playing against kids they know ... just like they get/got jazzed up playing FSU/UF/UM. Does that mean FSU/UF/UM are our rivals now also?

• Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

It's called Michigan - Ohio state, see who won the first 10 games and by how much

Interesting example.

The inaugural meeting between Ohio State and Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1897 resulted in a lopsided victory for Michigan, with the Wolverines posting a 34–0 win over Ohio State's Buckeyes. The first game foretold a long Michigan winning streak, with Michigan winning or tying every match from 1897 to 1912 and thereby compiling a 12–0–2 record before the contest was postponed for several years.

So you think Michigan really thought Ohio State was their rival? They didn't play again until they were in the same conference.

So it seems similar to USF and UCiF . They get the snot beaten out of them. The series ended. The teams end up in conference together and that is the end of the similarity. We'll just have to wait to see if this ever becomes a rivalry and if you can compare it to Michigan/Ohio State. As a UCFer, I guess it's possible.

I could not speak on that behalf and neither could you (if they considered themselves rivals), I suppose nobody could except maybe a historian from either school. I was simply giving an example of a time time in history where one team won all the first games played and it still be a rival, because the poster seemed to think it have never happened before. Now as for if they considered themselves rivals back then, I don't know and neither do you.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  96,963
  • Days Won:  469

So let's give it a hundred years of history and then we'll talk about a rivalry. Pass that to your boy Bianchi and we can scratch this off our to-do list too.

• Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

Interesting example.

I could not speak on that behalf and neither could you (if they considered themselves rivals), I suppose nobody could except maybe a historian from either school. I was simply giving an example of a time time in history where one team won all the first games played and it still be a rival, because the poster seemed to think it have never happened before. Now as for if they considered themselves rivals back then, I don't know and neither do you.

Um, no you weren't .... You yourself said you didn't know if they considered themselves rivals back then so how can you throw that out there as an example?

Archived