• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF In the Mix for Big12

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Guys, you are worried about travel costs? really?

If we go to the Big 12, we triple our TV money. I'd think the costs of going west will be more than offset by an extra $12M or so.

I will say this-we will be an average team in the Big 12, barring a shocker season where we manage to run the table and capitalize with a huge talent pool.

Not to mention-if we're in the Big 12 and UCF is in the Big East, we can continue to point and laugh at them.

Think about it, and I agree with you, but they take a chartered jet. Whether it goes 1000 miles north, or 1000 miles west, really it is the same cost/flight. To top that off, hotel rooms in the midwest are cheaper than up north in major cities.

I think travel costs will be about the same.

Travel is not an issue for USF. We don't fly commercial

maybe our football team doesn't but every other team does.

I think, and hope and pray, our basketball team is flying charter more often now ...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

If we go to the Big 12, we triple our TV money. I'd think the costs of going west will be more than offset by an extra $12M or so.

I will say this-we will be an average team in the Big 12, barring a shocker season where we manage to run the table and capitalize with a huge talent pool.

Not to mention-if we're in the Big 12 and UCF is in the Big East, we can continue to point and laugh at them.

Think about it, and I agree with you, but they take a chartered jet. Whether it goes 1000 miles north, or 1000 miles west, really it is the same cost/flight. To top that off, hotel rooms in the midwest are cheaper than up north in major cities.

I think, and hope and pray, our basketball team is flying charter more often now ...

Basketball and football are not the concerns here.

Think women's tennis or golf. Teams that have maybe 10-15 members.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

good point...

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

idk why travel is being brought up. We are going to NJ on 11/5 and then upstate NY on 11/12. The travel literally cant get worse unless we play in the PAC12. travel will be no more of an issue in the Big12 as it is in the Big East.

Also, what someone mentioned about the TV contract at 12 is true. I doubt any other teams get invited before the negotiations begin for that. Once that TV contract ends, we shall begin a new wave of realignment drama. We are going to be in the Big East. deal with it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Basketball and football are not the concerns here.

Think women's tennis or golf. Teams that have maybe 10-15 members.

I was just responding to 94 saying every other team flies commercial .... I'm hoping he's wrong.

• Content Count:  7,201

Did some quick distance from Tampa numbers for comparison purposes (all in miles)

Pitt 1020

Cuse 1272

Rutgers 1104

WVU 950

Cincy 916

UConn 1266

UL 817

Baylor 1150

Iowa 1290

Kansas 1295

Kstate 1377

T Tech 1453

Teaxas 1141

Ok State 1260

OU 1270

So yes, a bit more per location as all are over 1000 miles. But then gain, via plane, you are talking 200 miles which is roughly 30 extra minutes flight time and slightly increased cost.

Woudl be hard for non football teams, though. I think that there are less flight options to Iowa City, Norman, Waco, Lawrence, Lubbock, etc, than say Philly/Newark, Pitt, Cinci, UL, etc....

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Did some quick distance from Tampa numbers for comparison purposes (all in miles)

Pitt 1020

Cuse 1272

Rutgers 1104

WVU 950

Cincy 916

UConn 1266

UL 817

Baylor 1150

Iowa 1290

Kansas 1295

Kstate 1377

T Tech 1453

Teaxas 1141

Ok State 1260

OU 1270

So yes, a bit more per location as all are over 1000 miles. But then gain, via plane, you are talking 200 miles which is roughly 30 extra minutes flight time and slightly increased cost.

Woudl be hard for non football teams, though. I think that there are less flight options to Iowa City, Norman, Waco, Lawrence, Lubbock, etc, than say Philly/Newark, Pitt, Cinci, UL, etc....

the cities are tougher to get to in big 12. they are also in a different time zone. that makes a difference when you play a wednesday night game at 7 pm central. I shouldn't say that i know for sure on men's bbal but I have been on commercial flights with ladies team not long ago.

• Content Count:  5,591

I'd love for this to happen, some great rivalries and tradition in the Big 12.

Definitely an upgrade from the Big East, and could see some improvements in recruiting.

Archived