• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The previous one has seemed to stop

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

looks like the decision is to add teams... BE football lives on...

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

This could really be GREAT news for USF.  I know many might be worried that UCF could be in the list of teams being added.. maybe maybe not.  But USF can really have time to grow and mature in the Big East.  We will get to pick and choose our times to play the big boys and have a legitimate shot at establishing ourselves before the next round of shakeups.

• Content Count:  5,881

• Content Count:  231

Not really...BE is going to lose its AQ status with **** teams like UCF in our conference

• Content Count:  1,251

where is this coming from?

• Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

This could really be GREAT news for USF.  I know many might be worried that UCF could be in the list of teams being added.. maybe maybe not.  But USF can really have time to grow and mature in the Big East.  We will get to pick and choose our times to play the big boys and have a legitimate shot at establishing ourselves before the next round of shakeups.

What about the B.E. long term viability as an AQ conference?  If they add a bunch of weaker teams just to up the number I see a darker future.

• Content Count:  10,369

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

BC Slick, that gets away from the original intentions of what a CONFERENCE is supposed to be which is competing schools are from a themed geographic area so as to take advantage of shared natural rivalries, resources etc.  if you carve out AL, GA, FL and MS, it basically would be what the SOUTHEAST CONFERENCE should be.

Just pull a map out, grab all the D1 schools and start dividing up until you get to 16.  You'll see it makes a ton of sense economically and will create a ton of PRIDE and the level of play will be better across the board.

If we're going to blow this thing up, blow it up right and draw it up the way it should be as we won't have another shot in our life times.

On my map, Tenn and S. Carolina are in the South East geographically and much more importantly, culturally.  Tennessee is a much better school than FAU, living in GA just reinforces that, and S. Carolina is on its way up.

Slick, you can't start leaving D1 schools in the footprint totally out like an FAU or it defeats the entire premise behind it.  Plus, if you want it to work, you can't cherry pick from border states in lieu of ones in the heart of your area.  I may have been reaching too much with Texas even and they should've been replaced by someone I may have missed like Tulane as they would probably be best to be a part of a Mid South Conference including teams from ARK, TEX, etc.

You guys got me thinking about regional rivalries, and so I combined that with my belief that 9-member conferences are the best size, and then I added the concept of relegation, where the worst upper division team drops to the lower division and the best lower division team jumps up to the upper division every year (like English Premier League soccer).

So here's my idea for 8 "Ladders" (conferences) with 9 teams in each of the upper divisions and 5-7 teams in the lower division.

This would keep Congress out, since every team now has a path to the upper division, and from there to the national championship, which could be a real 8-team playoff (with the various bowl games still available for the other 112 teams).

I've somewhat arbitrarily assigned them into the upper and lower divisions for the first year, after that they move up or down based on performance.

9-teams means 4 home and 4 away conference games and 4 OOC games every year- this size really does make the most sense.

Since every team plays every other team, there is a true conference champ, and this arrangement would really make for some great rivalries. And it also makes it easy for 1-AA teams to move up to FBS. Just join the lower division of your geography and work your way up.

TX gets split in half E/W and Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio get split N/S, but the rest is based on the state borders, and it all works out numerically. Which kinda surprised me, actually.

Of course, this is far too rational and logical to ever happen, but I can dream, can't I?!?! LOL

Northwest Ladder

Washington

Washington State

Oregon

Oregon State

California

Stanford

BYU

Utah

Boise State

Idaho

Nevada