• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  0

3 UT keeps its Longhorn Network intact with no changes. If UT goes to the Pac 12, the network must be reconfigured, thereby costing the University millions of dollars in revenue.

TX legislature just thinks the Big East teams will take it when A&M and OU wouldn't... they are really full of themselves over there and seems like they are just feeding that Texas Ego. They can't force the Big East teams to accept the LHN but it is written as though they can.

Also... taken from another board:

Representative Ken Paxton (Baylor grad) Representative Charles "Doc" Anderson (Aggie grad - Waco Rep)

Representative John Davis (Baylor grad) Representative Craig Eiland (Baylor grad)

Representative Jim Pitts (SMU grad) Representative Mark Shelton (Baylor grad)

Representative Diane Patrick (Baylor grad) Representative Bryan Hughes (Baylor Law grad)

Representative Ken Legler (San Jacinto College grad) Representative Armando Walle (University of Houston grad)

Representative Jose Aliseda (UT Law grad) Representative Linda Harper Brown (unknown)

Senator Brian Birdwell (Lamar University grad) Representative Larry Phillips (Baylor grad)

I don't see the B12 staying together unless there is some fix to the uneven revenue sharing.  That started this whole mess.  I don't blame any of them for looking for new homes.  It's not fair.  I would do the same.  But, if that part could be ironed out, I would think we would have more security merging with the B12 than where we are right now.  I did take comfort in them asking that the B12 take ALL the BE teams.  I have seen numerous places that USF would most likely be left off the invitation list.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  81

The Big 12 staying together minus A&M is the most likely scenario because it is the scenario that benefits Texas the greatest.  Texas, having fully vetted all of its options, will give up just enough to satisfy the other schools (concessions Texas would likely give up anyway if it left the B12). 

What does this mean for USF?  Well, the Big 12 will be in the driver's seat and they may or may not invite us in- we are odd man out geographically.  It would take one hell of a sales pitch from Doug/Judy.

God I miss Lee Roy Selmon.

• Content Count:  1,204

The Big 12 staying together minus A&M is the most likely scenario because it is the scenario that benefits Texas the greatest.  Texas, having fully vetted all of its options, will give up just enough to satisfy the other schools (concessions Texas would likely give up anyway if it left the B12). 

What does this mean for USF?  Well, the Big 12 will be in the driver's seat and they may or may not invite us in- we are odd man out geographically.  It would take one hell of a sales pitch from Doug/Judy.

Depends on if UConn and Rutgers go ACC.  Taking the remaining Big East teams plus TCU would give them 14 at that point. 

I think Texas is going to have to make alot of concessions - as is Oklahoma.  But the even revenue sharing is what they'd be stuck with elsewhere, so they can either move to the PAC or just institute it in the Big XII.  Could be that the PAC also is not all that interested in expanding and that Oklahoma now sees an opportunity to expand with the Big East possibly falling apart.  More TV revenue could be added with an expansion, especially with OU and Texas still in the league. 

The key for us is if we stick together with a couple of other desireable Big East schools.  We're more powerful if we, TCU, WVU, Cincy and Louisville say: "Take us all together or none at all."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,627
  • Days Won:  6

Depends on if UConn and Rutgers go ACC.  Taking the remaining Big East teams plus TCU would give them 14 at that point. 

I think Texas is going to have to make alot of concessions - as is Oklahoma.  But the even revenue sharing is what they'd be stuck with elsewhere, so they can either move to the PAC or just institute it in the Big XII.  Could be that the PAC also is not all that interested in expanding and that Oklahoma now sees an opportunity to expand with the Big East possibly falling apart.  More TV revenue could be added with an expansion, especially with OU and Texas still in the league. 

The key for us is if we stick together with a couple of other desireable Big East schools.  We're more powerful if we, TCU, WVU, Cincy and Louisville say: "Take us all together or none at all."

What happens when the B12 says "no we don't want you 5 as a package, we'll take Boise, Air Force, UCF, and Houston, but thanks for playing?

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

With the demands that OU made today I really think they are as good as gone to the PAC.  They demanded no more LHN, equal revenue sharing in the big 12, and that Bebe be fired as conference commish for them to stay in the Big 12.  I think they know that Texas will not give up the LHN or give the other conference members an equal split if the revenue, not to mention demanding the commish be fired is pretty **** unreasonable.  I think those demands are just a way for OU to give Texas the finger on the way out the door and make the Horns look like the villain they have been all along.  OU knows that Texas' ego will never let them cave to all of those demands and let OU have the perception that they hold all the power in the Big 12 so they will successfully out Texas as the greedy villain that killed the Big 12.  OU and little brother will be PAC bound by this weekend, followed soon by an official acceptance of A&M to the SEC, and Mizzou to the SEC shorly after to get the SEC to 14. Texas then has the option of trying to save the big 12 by absorbing the BE teams keeping the LHN (we will gladly take it to save ourselves from non AQ hell), working out a compromise to use it as a regional network for the PAC, or putting their tail between their legs dropping the network and following OU to the PAC.  I think their ego points towards them staying in the Big 12 and scooping up the Big East left overs.  

If Doug/Judy turn down membership to the B12 because the B12 only wants six out of the seven of us then my head will explode.  Unfortunately, there is no such thing as conference loyalty and if the B12 is in the driver's seat then they are in a position to take who they want.

With the demands that OU made today I really think they are as good as gone to the PAC.  They demanded no more LHN, equal revenue sharing in the big 12, and that Bebe be fired as conference commish for them to stay in the Big 12.  I think they know that Texas will not give up the LHN or give the other conference members an equal split if the revenue, not to mention demanding the commish be fired is pretty **** unreasonable.  I think those demands are just a way for OU to give Texas the finger on the way out the door and make the Horns look like the villain they have been all along.  OU knows that Texas' ego will never let them cave to all of those demands and let OU have the perception that they hold all the power in the Big 12 so they will successfully out Texas as the greedy villain that killed the Big 12.  OU and little brother will be PAC bound by this weekend, followed soon by an official acceptance of A&M to the SEC, and Mizzou to the SEC shorly after to get the SEC to 14. Texas then has the option of trying to save the big 12 by absorbing the BE teams keeping the LHN (we will gladly take it to save ourselves from non AQ hell), working out a compromise to use it as a regional network for the PAC, or putting their tail between their legs dropping the network and following OU to the PAC.  I think their ego points towards them staying in the Big 12 and scooping up the Big East left overs.  

I hope you're right.

• Content Count:  1,204

What happens when the B12 says "no we don't want you 5 as a package, we'll take Boise, Air Force, UCF, and Houston, but thanks for playing?

I doubt they would say that.  Boise is appealing now, but their fanbase is still relatively small.  Air Force would have some appeal.  UCF is in Orlando, but their TV ratings compared to ours are not all that impressive in their own market.  Houston has a lot of upside, but if they wanted another Texas team then TCU is more appealing from a competitive football side of things and for TV.  Air Force would make a lot of sense due to national appeal.  

• Content Count:  1,165

I think the sense of worry comes from the fact that we haven't heard a word regarding out potential situation.  Almost every other school has been reported as potentially going to this conference or that conference, but I haven't read a word about USF.  There has been no reassurance in the media.  Even though reassurance doesn't guarantee anything and doesn't even necessarily signify the liklihood of us joining a powerful conference, by definition that lack of reassurance makes us feel more nervous about the situation.

Personally, I'm confident about the future for USF.  I think the worst-case likely scenario would be a merge of the leftovers of the Big12 that would be roughly the equivalent of where we are in the Big East currently.  There's one bad scenario, and that's simply being left out of the ACC, SEC, and Biig12(if their core happens to stay put) additions (obviously we aren't going to the PAC or B1G), forcing the Big East to raid the CUSA.

I don't see any scenario in which Big East Football doesn't take a huge hit after it's all said and done.  Therefore, it's best for USF if we were not in the Big East at the end of all this.  As much as I like things as they are now (and was very excited about TCU coming in) and appreciate how we got here, I still have to look towards the future.  Hopefully we'll end up somewhere with UL (both both for their previous support of us and simply because I enjoy the games we play against them) and maybe even WVU (I despise them but love the rivalry we have starting with them, at least in my eyes).

• Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

I just think that, at some point soon, we need to plant our flag.  We have bounced from Sun Belt, Metro, C-USA, Big East...It is time that South Florida makes a firm statement and take the lead on this, "We are here, now who is with us?"  Change the bylaws and make the conference a $500 million exit fee with 20 years notice.  Whichever schools, Cincy, Louisville, West Virginia, TCU, etc. want to be part of a permanent solution, then let's get it on and have them plant their flag right next to ours.  

There are institutions out there that have sworn a permanent alliance...Auburn and Alabama will always be in the same conference no matter what realignment occurs...additional examples are legion.  Let's find the schools that are tired of the instability and bind together...forever.

WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!

Archived