• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I just hope USF is also getting ready

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I worry about our leverage with other conferences.  Individually, I think USF has zero leverage.  If I take my green goggles off I can count on one hand the BCS team I think are less attractive than USF.

In my opinion, Marinatto better have a rabbit to pull out of a hat with this TV deal he bragged about, because USF IS NOT getting into the ACC unless the ACC is obliterated by the Big10 and SEC.

The other thing that needs to be written about is the interference ESPN is reportedly running.  I have said before they are no friend to the BE and USF. . . . and I fear they are calling the shots. . . . . which is bad since they think enough of USF and the BE to put them on wednesday night football (but never Pitt or Cuse in my memory. . hmmm).  A few months ago ESPN gave the BE a take it or leave it renegatiation deal and Marinatto passed (Marinatto stupidly opened his mouth about the BE's upcoming leverage).  Now ESPN (which has a deal with the ACC) is possibly "advising" conferences on their acquisition strategies.

In my opinion, USF is along for the ride with no shots to call.  They better get ready to SUE THE PANTS OFF OF:  Cuse, Pitt, ACC and ESPN.

Ironically, everybody here in NC hated the first round of ACC expansion (save for VT) and thinks the conference lost its identity with UM and especially BC. . . . . . . . now they are talking to Pitt and Cuse. . . . . . that'll go over like a fart in church.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  325
  • Days Won:  0

From a comment to a CBS story:

Reading between the lines, it looks like the ACC will add Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Texas, and Texas Tech.  The SEC will nab Missouri, Louisville, Texas A&M, and West Virginia.  The B1G will target UConn, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and a fourth somewhere.  The PAC 12 will take Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Kansas State (or two of these three: BYU, TCU, and Boise St instead of the Kansas duo).  That effectively guts the Big East and Big 12, leaving 4 supers.

based on his thoughts:

That leaves USF and Cincinnati without an AQ conference.   That could be a scary scenario

• Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

USF is in a weird position but I think we'll get a soft landing in a BCS conference and here's why.

1. The recruiting. Our team is looking better and better and we increasingly are getting the talent level to compete towards the top of the rankings.

2. Florida. Like it or not, Florida is an attractive place to visit every year for the benefits of recruiting, and Tampa especially so-we have good prospects here in Tampa every year.

3. The media money. Tampa is a top media market and we're slowly taking the spotlight away from the Buccaneers, who have an angry fan base because the Glazers are not treating them right. If we're successful, you can bet they'll start visiting RJS on Saturdays instead of Sundays.

A lot of this hinges on USF being in the BCS picture in the last week of the season. We'll look a lot more attractive if December 1st is a big time conference championship game. Think the ACC would take us then? If UM is going down, it could happen.

• Content Count:  5,881

From a comment to a CBS story:

Reading between the lines, it looks like the ACC will add Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Texas, and Texas Tech.  The SEC will nab Missouri, Louisville, Texas A&M, and West Virginia.  The B1G will target UConn, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and a fourth somewhere.  The PAC 12 will take Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Kansas State (or two of these three: BYU, TCU, and Boise St instead of the Kansas duo).  That effectively guts the Big East and Big 12, leaving 4 supers.

based on his thoughts:

That leaves USF and Cincinnati without an AQ conference.   That could be a scary scenario

Yeah, cause I'm so scared from a comment by someone on a story.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma.....[Could be going to the Pac-16]

Oklahoma State.....[Package with OU?]

TCU

Texas.....[independent?]

Texas Tech

Baylor

USF

West Virginia.....[Name thrown around for SEC]

Cincinatti.....[big XII?]

Louisville.....[big XIII?]

Rutgers

Connecticut

Iowa State

Missouri.....[sEC?]

This super conference doesn't look bad.

It'll be interesting to see how all the dominoes fall.

Well Pitt and Syracuse apply for ACC membership. F*** them.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32034930

• Content Count:  1,204

I'm not in freak out mode with Pitt and Syracuse reportedly talking to the ACC.  Of course they are.  Hopefully we've talked to some other conferences too.

I still wonder how the money works out.  I don't know if the ACC will be able to renegotiate so quickly.  What's the incentive of adding more teams that you have to divide the same amount of money amongst?

Also not sure that Pitt and WVU will separate.  

Also not convinced that Texas wants to play in a conference where they are equals with the other teams.  Texas and Oklahoma have created this mess by not allowing for straight up revenue sharing with the lesser schools all hanging on to their coattails.  But the other conferences don't work that way.  There's a reason why Texas wanted to keep Oklahoma from leaving.

I also would not be surprised if we've talked to Texas and tried to sell them on a new, big TV deal next year.  Let's face it, all the conferences except the SEC are a bit "pie in the sky" for money right now because they'd need to renegotiate.

And what happens if OU decided to leave and then the PAC-12 denies their app?

I'm not in freak out mode with Pitt and Syracuse reportedly talking to the ACC.  Of course they are.  Hopefully we've talked to some other conferences too.

I still wonder how the money works out.  I don't know if the ACC will be able to renegotiate so quickly.  What's the incentive of adding more teams that you have to divide the same amount of money amongst?

Also not sure that Pitt and WVU will separate.  

Also not convinced that Texas wants to play in a conference where they are equals with the other teams.  Texas and Oklahoma have created this mess by not allowing for straight up revenue sharing with the lesser schools all hanging on to their coattails.  But the other conferences don't work that way.  There's a reason why Texas wanted to keep Oklahoma from leaving.

I also would not be surprised if we've talked to Texas and tried to sell them on a new, big TV deal next year.  Let's face it, all the conferences except the SEC are a bit "pie in the sky" for money right now because they'd need to renegotiate.

And what happens if OU decided to leave and then the PAC-12 denies their app?

Talking is one thing. Applying is another.

• Content Count:  1,204

And that hasn't happened.  They have to figure out an exit from the Big East first and that will cost them money and possibly time.  We can assume the ACC will do what the SEC has done and insist on legal waivers from each Big East school.

It's worth remembering that nothing has happened yet.  A&M has been approved to join the SEC but it is conditional.  Oklahoma is looking at the PAC-12, but the PAC-12 has said they really aren't interested in expanding.  We've apparently talked with Kansas, KState, and Mizzou.  Everyone except the Big East has a long term TV deal in place with the SEC the only one reported to have a renegotiation clause for expansion (though I'd bet the others do - but the terms are what we need to know). 

Right now it's just a mess of speculation.  FSU is also looking at their options.  And let's not forget that TCU is about to get bumped up and will left out in many of these scenarios. 

There's also the possibility that the ACC might decide to stretch beyond 16 teams and provide a soft landing for any and all remaining Big East football schools.  They might get raided by the SEC for a few teams as well.

All I know is I really don't like Texas A&M right now.

And that hasn't happened.  They have to figure out an exit from the Big East first and that will cost them money and possibly time.  We can assume the ACC will do what the SEC has done and insist on legal waivers from each Big East school.

It's worth remembering that nothing has happened yet.  A&M has been approved to join the SEC but it is conditional.  Oklahoma is looking at the PAC-12, but the PAC-12 has said they really aren't interested in expanding.  We've apparently talked with Kansas, KState, and Mizzou.  Everyone except the Big East has a long term TV deal in place with the SEC the only one reported to have a renegotiation clause for expansion (though I'd bet the others do - but the terms are what we need to know). 

Right now it's just a mess of speculation.  FSU is also looking at their options.  And let's not forget that TCU is about to get bumped up and will left out in many of these scenarios. 

There's also the possibility that the ACC might decide to stretch beyond 16 teams and provide a soft landing for any and all remaining Big East football schools.  They might get raided by the SEC for a few teams as well.

All I know is I really don't like Texas A&M right now.

Dude, did you miss the link I posted? They have applied for membership. You are in denial.

Archived