• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Don't Sleep on the Golden Panthers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Louisville sucks but go Panthers!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Maybe if they run the table or have ten wins we can add them to the Big East.

After all, they'll be at the very least the fifth best program in Florida.

I know you're kidding but I had no idea they had 44,000 students, projected to hit 60K, and that seems to be the big WOW point when the national talking buttheads talk about UCF ... their huge student body. FIU has an OCS and has won their crappy little conference, just like UCF ...

Yeah.. I've mentioned it before a few times on this board

Being an former employee there, I really saw the University grow.  They are now the 11th largest University in the country.

They are also trying to directly compete vs UMiami in every facet (athletically and academically,) and aren't ashamed to promote that out loud. Calling themselves Miami's ONLY PUBLIC research university. They were granted a medical school along with UCF and now have agreements with Baptist Heath (a large well rated hospital system,) to go against UMiami's pride and joy.  They also got a law school a few years back and have targeted UMiami's recruitment base.

They really try to promote school spirit there for the past few years... holding school pep rallies and events (something that I am surprised USF doesn't do as much.)

It also helps that they bring out a: us the regular people (FIU) vs the rich/elitist (UMiami) attitude.

They have pretty good sports programs and are pretty competitive (olympics, soccer, volleyball.) with the exception of FB and BB.  Now with Cristobal (a former UMiami asst. coach,) he's opening up the Miami pipeline and has already seen results.

So only BB to go... Similar to USF

• Content Count:  44

Best week ever for FIU? With major win and stadium news, maybe so

By David J. Neal

dneal@MiamiHerald.com

The week opened with a Labor Day announcement that the enclosing of FIU Stadium’s north side would be started after this season and finished for the 2012 season. The work week ended with FIU players and head coach Mario Cristobal jumping around like playful German shepherds in a dog park after whipping Louisville, 24-17, for their first win against a BCS conference opponent.

So where does this week rank in the decade history of FIU football?

There’s no question about the game itself. In front of an ESPN audience and the largest VIP contingent FIU has taken to a road game, the Golden Panthers didn’t just beat a Big East team, they did it the way that befits a school from style-conscious South Florida — with their best players making spectacular plays.

After wide receiver T.Y. Hilton blazed to 74-yard and 83-yard touchdown catches that left the Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium crowd in awe, he came up with a third-down conversion catch by cradling the pass in the crook of his right arm, mid-dive-roll. Outside of the officials who initially ruled it a catch, few in the stadium thought it would survive replay. It did. Made SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays, too.

Linebacker Winston Fraser, FIU’s best defensive player in the season opener, took an interception back 71 yards for a score and slammed running back Jeremy Wright on a third-and-one from the FIU 7 with the Golden Panthers leading 24-10 early in the fourth quarter. Afterward, everyone celebrated not so much the win — which players and coaches said they anticipated — but what they knew it earned, something even last year’s Little Caesars Pizza Bowl win over Toledo hadn’t: a fistful of national respect.

But what about the whole week?

“It’s at the top,†FIU athletic director Pete Garcia said Saturday. “This takes the entire athletic department to a different level. It showcases all the good things going on at the university, not just the athletic department.

“It’s getting the entire university to come together, it’s getting our alumni to rally behind us,†Garcia said. “It’s the reason the university added Division I sports and Division I football.â€

And this week, when FIU hosts Central Florida, barring a lightning-lit monsoon, FIU Stadium will be standing-room-only, glutes-to-glutes. The largest home crowd in FIU’s 10-season history is expected to see if FIU — which never has been 2-0 — can make it three in a row.

The addition of a second deck to expand capacity to 45,000 is more than on the drawing board. Garcia said that got pushed up so FIU never would have to turn away a student from its rapidly increasing university enrollment. But it’ll also make FIU more attractive as a potential member of a more prominent conference than the Sun Belt. It’s probably not a coincidence that the long-anticipated stadium enclosure got fast-tracked just before what athletic directors and school presidents expect to be a mass national shifting of league memberships.

Garcia said he got excited texts from men’s basketball coach Isiah Thomas on Friday night, asking rhetorically, “Do you know what this means?â€

“It’s exposure and national attention for the other sports, too,†Garcia said. “When you get in homes to recruit kids, they know about FIU from seeing us on national TV.â€

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/11/2400599/best-week-ever-for-fiu-with-major.html#ixzz1Xefz5KEt

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Please.... with everything possible... beat that **** team from Orl on Saturday night...

• Content Count:  3,111
  • Days Won:  7

I would love to see this team take down UCF, don't think it's gonna happen though.

Oh, don't underestimate FIU.

T.Y. Hilton is the Sun Belt's version of Megatron. Combine that with a good defense and I think they have every chance of turning the Bounce House in Orlando into a House of Horrors for the Knights.

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I would love to see this team take down UCF, don't think it's gonna happen though.

T.Y. Hilton is the Sun Belt's version of Megatron. Combine that with a good defense and I think they have every chance of turning the Bounce House in Orlando into a House of Horrors for the Knights.

I believe this one is a home game for FIU...

• Content Count:  9,038

It is.  Of couse the UCF message board folks think they will have 15,000 people at the game.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It is.  Of couse the UCF message board folks think they will have 15,000 people at the game.

Maybe they will.  It is a short trip

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

Maybe they will.  It is a short trip

We took 15K to our rival in Tallahassee so it's entirely possible they will do the same to Ft Lauderdale ...  8-)

Archived