• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF's Godfrey accepted improper benefits from Miami during recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Nope. No pucker power at all.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

my thinking is that if purdue has already come out and said that marve is cleared, than I dont' see how godfrey wouldn't be.

I am pretty sure that the NCAA would have to clear him as well.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

my thinking is that if purdue has already come out and said that marve is cleared, than I dont' see how godfrey wouldn't be.

People on this thread are mixing up rules.  The NCAA has rules about a school's ability to recruit a player and his eligibility.  The paraphrase the NCAA says if the school broke the rules recruiting that player then that player would not be eligible at said school, but providing the NCAA saw no further wrong doing the player's eligibility will not be in jeopardy.

The other rule is about improper benefits for student athletes and recruits.  Those rules have to do with a player's eligibility, BEFORE AND AFTER THEY ENROLL.  Haven't you seen all these European hoops players who are deemed ineligible jus because they got a few dollars for playing in some tournaments, or clinics? 

Guys like Marve, and/or Charles are not ineligible because so far Shapiro only alleged 'recruiting' violations with those players, meaning they went to his house, had a fancy dinner, maybe rode on his yacht or went to a club.  For those violations those players would be ineligible to play for Miami, but not anyone else.  WHEREAS, with Godfrey taking shoes and actual money is a player eligibility issue AS WELL AS a Miami recruiting issue.  With that being said, this isn't like an Enes Kantor issue or something, it's a few items.  First the only way the NCAA could even pursue it is if there is hard evidence from Shapiro showing Godfrey taking the benefits.  Even then the reality is this is generally nominal, not like being paid professionally, so he shouldn't lose amateur status and in the past the NCAA has usually suspended the player for a nominal amount of games (1-4) and made them donate the amount of the gifts to charity.  All things UCF could easily survive from, but the one concern Miami does have to be careful about is what Godfrey tells the NCAA.  O'Liar claimed he was 'satisfied' with Godfrey's responses, but we all know O'Liar couldn't see the truth if it slapped him in the face.  Would Godfrey try to lie to the NCAA in the face of evidence?  In that case, as Dez Bryant can attest, lying to the NCAA about stuff like this will get you suspended for at least a season.

It will be interesting to see how this transpires.

• Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

People on this thread are mixing up rules.  The NCAA has rules about a school's ability to recruit a player and his eligibility.  The paraphrase the NCAA says if the school broke the rules recruiting that player then that player would not be eligible at said school, but providing the NCAA saw no further wrong doing the player's eligibility will not be in jeopardy.

The other rule is about improper benefits for student athletes and recruits.  Those rules have to do with a player's eligibility, BEFORE AND AFTER THEY ENROLL.  Haven't you seen all these European hoops players who are deemed ineligible jus because they got a few dollars for playing in some tournaments, or clinics? 

Guys like Marve, and/or Charles are not ineligible because so far Shapiro only alleged 'recruiting' violations with those players, meaning they went to his house, had a fancy dinner, maybe rode on his yacht or went to a club.  For those violations those players would be ineligible to play for Miami, but not anyone else.  WHEREAS, with Godfrey taking shoes and actual money is a player eligibility issue AS WELL AS a Miami recruiting issue.  With that being said, this isn't like an Enes Kantor issue or something, it's a few items.  First the only way the NCAA could even pursue it is if there is hard evidence from Shapiro showing Godfrey taking the benefits.  Even then the reality is this is generally nominal, not like being paid professionally, so he shouldn't lose amateur status and in the past the NCAA has usually suspended the player for a nominal amount of games (1-4) and made them donate the amount of the gifts to charity.  All things UCF could easily survive from, but the one concern Miami does have to be careful about is what Godfrey tells the NCAA.  O'Liar claimed he was 'satisfied' with Godfrey's responses, but we all know O'Liar couldn't see the truth if it slapped him in the face.  Would Godfrey try to lie to the NCAA in the face of evidence?  In that case, as Dez Bryant can attest, lying to the NCAA about stuff like this will get you suspended for at least a season.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15469158/ncaas-limited-immunity

I posted this in another thread, but it's basically saying that they're think marve made a deal, because his ineligibility would have followed him to purdue, but that you are basically correct on Godfrey because he didn't sign with miami.

• Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

I posted this in another thread, but it's basically saying that they're think marve made a deal, because his ineligibility would have followed him to purdue, but that you are basically correct on Godfrey because he didn't sign with miami.

never mind, you saw it.  :P

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I read that afterward, and didn't realize Marve received that, and this makes sense.  I have not heard of Godfrey cutting a deal with the NCAA, or UCF coming out and saying 'they're securing in saying his eligibility is not in question' like KSU, and PU did for Marve and the Browns respectively.  The best UCF has stated is O'Liar saying 'he was satisfied with Godfrey's responses to him'.  Maybe the NCAA has decided NOT to throw UCF a life-line since they're also squarely in their cross-hairs.

Any UCF fan that is not outraged at this point with how Hitt and Tribble have allowed O'Liar to run amuck and constantly put their athletic department in a dim light is a fool.  It wouldn't be shocking to me if the end result was major probation.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Any UCF fan that is not outraged at this point with how Hitt and Tribble have allowed O'Liar to run amuck and constantly put their athletic department in a dim light is a fool.  It wouldn't be shocking to me if the end result was major probation.

Aren't they already on probation though? 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Aren't they already on probation though? 

Yep... which means it's repeat offender status for them as well.

That sound you heard was the BIG sledge hammer.....  ;D

Archived