• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF Trial on the death of Planchard

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

now personal attacks? think I've been a respectful poster going back a few years,

Good Lord, calling someone obsessed on an Internet message board is not a personal attack ... especially if it's true. You're posting on boards described as "Join the largest online Bulls community and post your messages on the Bulls here!!" and "The University of South Florida, hail to thee. A board designated for the non-athletic history and happenings of our alma mater." Why would anyone not a Bulls fan or alumnus post regularly on something like that?? It's either obsession .... or envy that we're so cool over here.

the only two people that say there was no water are a kid who was a walkon and never played, and a kid who was kicked off the team for getting a DUI and resisting arrest

Basically, two kids who have no reason to be beholden to GOL ...

... and, btw, this is a back and forth.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

As far as anyone owning anyone else, I think we will find that out in a couple of  weeks.

As for the coaches being at a Conditioning workout, that is allowed under NCAA rules. No plays can be run, no formations....only conditioning.

Clearly, EP losing his life was a tragedy. I don't anyone is making light of it. The jury will decide if there was negligence, and I think there was. They will also rule on gross negligence....and my personal opinion is no but nobody cares what I think. Automatic appeals are sure to be ready on both sides.

In the court today, 2 chances for a mistrial were not filed until after Jury testimony.......and the judge said post testimony, that if the D had objected and ask for a M trail, it would have been granted. So the Plantiffs team, is probably going to step things down  a notch.

Trying to evaluate this before the D has put up its side is ...just preliminary speculation. Both sides have great legal teams. It is just sad to see the parents lose a son....which are my last words on the topic.

that add up to

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

As for the coaches being at a Conditioning workout, that is allowed under NCAA rules. No plays can be run, no formations....only conditioning.

That makes sense ... if they weren't allowed to be there, something would have already come down from the NCAA.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

GOL owned Plancher's attorney this afternoon. basically, the only two people that say there was no water are a kid who was a walkon and never played, and a kid who was kicked off the team for getting a DUI and resisting arrest

What does the fact that one was a walk on and another was kicked off the team? They don't stand to gain anything from this.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=6697718&wjb=

George is really trust worthy. This sounds so bad. If the verdict goes against the Planchers I will lose faith in or system.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Justice system.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

George is really trust worthy. This sounds so bad. If the verdict goes against the Planchers I will lose faith in or system.

In reading that article I can't see how a verdict can go against the Planchers.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

As far as anyone owning anyone else, I think we will find that out in a couple of  weeks.

Clearly, EP losing his life was a tragedy. I don't anyone is making light of it. The jury will decide if there was negligence, and I think there was. They will also rule on gross negligence....and my personal opinion is no but nobody cares what I think. Automatic appeals are sure to be ready on both sides.

In the court today, 2 chances for a mistrial were not filed until after Jury testimony.......and the judge said post testimony, that if the D had objected and ask for a M trail, it would have been granted. So the Plantiffs team, is probably going to step things down  a notch.

Trying to evaluate this before the D has put up its side is ...just preliminary speculation. Both sides have great legal teams. It is just sad to see the parents lose a son....which are my last words on the topic.

that add up to

Fair response.  In the end UCF was negligent from the mere point that they have no record of telling a player about the SCT.  That is neglect on physicians and trainers.  Furthermore, gross negligence can be found (unless the defense can argue out of the point) because not only did they know it, and not tell Ereck about it, they never told coaches or trainers AND never made any type of plan to help players or monitor players with SCT.  That does constitute gross negligence- because of that significant lack of effort it led to death.

How hard the workout was, if he withheld water or not, are just sidebar drama in a very intense case.  The plaintiff and their counsel do not want to engage in a battle of 'he said, she said' and hoping the jury believes their witnesses more than the defense's.  Two facts no one denies, it was a strenuous workout (O'Liar has finally come around from non-taxing, to it being strenuous).  They broke a sweat, they all were breathing heavy...in the world that is a taxing workout.  Was it to strenuous....who cares, was water withheld...who cares, because it didn't effect the other 100 players.  What is important is by all accounts UCF knew about his condition and did nothing about it so it could have been ANY workout that could have done in Plancher, it could have been practice, or a jog on campus. 

Unfortunately for UCF that is enough to lose this case and pay a heavy sum.  I just don't see any way a direct connection can be linked to O'Liar unless someone produced a video of the workout (which I am shocked there wasn't one by the way), and it was over-the-top.  The real issue here, that I am hoping UCF rectified, is they lacked a lot of systems and operations on the training and medical side.  They had no doctor on staff, and trainers were not instructed better to take control

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Pretty damning if you ask me.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Pretty damning if you ask me.

You ain't seen nothing yet crambone.  The plaintiff held their big guns until the last day of presenting.  They brought out Brian Watter's, last year's team captain (so no UCF fan can call this kid a disgruntled walk-on), who point blank said O'Liar ordered water and trainers OUT!  Mr. Watters is a recent graduate, good player and student.  Hard to rip on his credibility here.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ereck-plancher-trial-0625-20110624,0,5814117.story

Oh nelly, and this is after yesterday when George claims (a reversal of his original deposition) that he knew Ereck had SCT....so he forced out water, and trainers, and then shouted obscenities at the kid as he was struggling.  May God Have Mercy on George's soul because this REALLY LOOKS BAD!

Game, set, match Planchers.  At this point with this new damning statement they're showing gross negligence all over the UCF athletic department.  On the trainers and doctors for not documenting speaking with Ereck, or explaining to staff on how to treat...and then for O'Liar's handling of the workout.  UCF won't have a nickel for anything extra-curicular in the athletic department for the next 40 years!

Archived