• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Injured receiver Mut plans to join Bulls in January

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

MAY 10, 2011

Injured receiver Mut plans to join Bulls in January

Punta Gorda Charlotte receiver Alex Mut, the USF signee who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee playing basketball in January, said he plans to wait until spring 2012 to join the Bulls football program.

"I think I'm going to grayshirt," Mut said Tuesday night, speaking of the practice of deferring enrollment until January so as not to start his eligibility clock. "I've been up (to USF) a few times and after talking with Coach (Skip) Holtz and (receivers coach Phil) McGeoghan, they think it's in my best interests. I'll be able to get my bearings in school and make sure my knee is 100 percent before I come back."

Mut had his ACL surgery performed by one of USF's team physicians nine weeks ago and said his recovery is ahead of schedule, with his next step light jogging as his knee continues to improve. Mut plans to enroll at USF this fall as a part-time student, paying his own way as a regular student, allowing him to be around campus without beginning his five-year window of eligibility.

Mut was already expected to redshirt this season, with plenty of depth at receiver, including receivers A.J. Love and Sterling Griffin, who are returning healthy after sitting out the 2010 season with injuries. USF has two other true freshmen from Tampa -- Jefferson's Andre Davis and Robinson's Ruben Gonzalez -- and Holtz has said both will have a chance to compete for the right to play as true freshmen.

By deferring his enrollment, Mut makes it easier for USF to enter this season under the NCAA maximum of 85 total scholarships. The Bulls have more flexibility to add transfers such as former Florida receiver Chris Dunkley and former Gators running back Mike Blakely, both of whom are possible late additions to the incoming class.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/injured-receiver-mut-plans-join-bulls-january

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

I hope he continues the speedy recovery. Also the additional scholarship for this coming season will make things a little bit more interesting

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Good to hear.  Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

• Content Count:  62

I raced him in track in high school. Im proud to say I beat him during his junior year, great kid. When I went to give him a hand shake after a race and his hands engulfed mine. He is a great receiver but was overshadowed because of mike bellamy. He also has one of the best hands Ive seen in a while. I wish he could play right now because it would certainly help reduced the amount of dropped passes. He loves USF by the way his sister goes here. And he just loves it.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I believe he was our first verbal last year.

923475.jpg

Alex at the Green & Gold game

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

A little over ambitious on Mike Blakely considering how deep we are at the position.  My guess is that he will eventually end up at Clemson, not to say that I wouldn't love to have him on the roster. 

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

A little over ambitious on Mike Blakely considering how deep we are at the position.  My guess is that he will eventually end up at Clemson, not to say that I wouldn't love to have him on the roster. 

It's not that crammed at RB.

Battles, Shaw, and Aycock are Sophomores

Murray and Scott are Juniors

Blakely would be a freshman in 2012 with Murray and Scott (seniors) and Battles, Shaw, and Aycock (juniors).  That's not too deep to take a freshman RB.  It's too deep for a JUCO (2 yr/Junior) transfer, but not for a freshman.

• Content Count:  4,642

when is blakely eligible?

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

when is blakely eligible?

He'll have to sit out a year if he transfers to USF, but he'll have 4 years of eligibility. I'm hearing it's either a school like us or he's going to transfer to a junior college and return to an SEC school afterward. I don't know why he doesn't just transfer here, get his shoulder to 100%, learn from Scott for 2 years, and be a starter by his sophmore year.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Back to the story...

Glad to see Skip and staff allow this kid to still have an opportunity after that injury.

Archived