• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

AAU membership for USF soon?

tau.reanb

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

With legislative budget cuts to the SUS, it will certainly be a challenge to fund the improvements necessary for the invitation.  I think we're moving in the right direction, but it will take alumni effort (e.g. Unstoppable) to help push us over the top.

I agree.

This is a later and more comprehensive release on the subject and it also touches upon that aspect.

http://issuu.com/usf-acad-affairs/docs/aau_flip_book_update

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Planning & Performance Matrix

revised October 7, 2010 

http://www.ods.usf.edu/Plans/Strategic/docs/USF-Planning-Metrics-Matrix-2007.pdf

Guest nybullsfan

Wow. while looking at the pdf in the original post, I remember thinking that Kansas was no better than we were, and often worse, and they better watch their back. Seems prophetic now.

This comment bothers me though, because it implies (to me, anyway) that the reason the AAU exists is to be a lobbying organization, and its members must assist with that effort (i.e. get more fed money) or get out.

Cantor asserted in an interview that the changes AAU had made in its membership criteria last year had put more emphasis on the volume of federally sponsored science and engineering research and put a particularly premium on biomedical studies.

Wow. while looking at the pdf in the original post, I remember thinking that Kansas was no better than we were, and often worse, and they better watch their back. Seems prophetic now.

This comment bothers me though, because it implies (to me, anyway) that the reason the AAU exists is to be a lobbying organization, and its members must assist with that effort (i.e. get more fed money) or get out.

Cantor asserted in an interview that the changes AAU had made in its membership criteria last year had put more emphasis on the volume of federally sponsored science and engineering research and put a particularly premium on biomedical studies.

The AAU placing more emphasis on Federally sponsored sci/eng research benefits USF.

http://health.usf.edu/nocms/publicaffairs/now/pdfs/Federal_Expenditures_Rankings_2009.pdf

Guest nybullsfan

The AAU placing more emphasis on Federally sponsored sci/eng research benefits USF.

http://health.usf.edu/nocms/publicaffairs/now/pdfs/Federal_Expenditures_Rankings_2009.pdf

My concern is related to federal spending, but since this thread isn't in the Mad Cow, I won't go any further with it.

I hope it works out well for USF, and we get the next invite!!

• 4 months later...

• Content Count:  40
  • Days Won:  0

Wow, almost every UC (Univ. of Calif at __) school is in there.  Wouldn't it be nice if UF alum in Tallahassee weren't so parochial about being set apart from every other university in the state and instead worked for the improvement of the ENTIRE state university system? In other words, a more cohesive and cooperative state university system can be more than just the sum of its parts.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

24% 4 year graduation rate.

~50% 6 year graduation rate

28:1 student to faculty ratio

Short answer...no.

Long answer...no.

Those are some old numbers they may be different now, but the change wont be dramatic enough to spur an invite into the AAU.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Short answer...no.

Long answer...no.

Those are some old numbers they may be different now, but the change wont be dramatic enough to spur an invite into the AAU.

USF is certainly taking steps to make institutional change to raise the graduation rate and decrease the student/faculty ratio. This will take time and money. Unfortunately, money is in short supply in our state capital. AAU inclusion may not happen soon, but I can foresee it happening eventually.

• Content Count:  3,111
  • Days Won:  7

Short answer...no.

Long answer...no.

USF is certainly taking steps to make institutional change to raise the graduation rate and decrease the student/faculty ratio. This will take time and money. Unfortunately, money is in short supply in our state capital. AAU inclusion may not happen soon, but I can foresee it happening eventually.

Note for another 20 years, minimum.

There are other significant AAU requirements that we aren't even close to meeting.

It's a nice goal, but Judy Genshaft and the current university culture I see don't get us there.

When Miiami and FSU are fighting to get in (and in academic terms, Miami is significantly better than we are), it's a stretch to say we're even close.

USF doesn't have the people nor the ability financially to do what needs to be done.

Short answer...no.

Long answer...no.

Note for another 20 years, minimum.

There are other significant AAU requirements that we aren't even close to meeting.

It's a nice goal, but Judy Genshaft and the current university culture I see don't get us there.

When Miiami and FSU are fighting to get in (and in academic terms, Miami is significantly better than we are), it's a stretch to say we're even close.

USF doesn't have the people nor the ability financially to do what needs to be done.

What is your criticism of Judy?

Seems like she has been instrumental in making USF into a possible candidate for AAU membership. But, there is only so much she can do without the necessary funding. In the meantime...

Research Universities Ranked

New edition of Top American Research Universities ranks USF 27th in the nation.

By Vickie Chachere

USF News

TAMPA, Fla. (May 16, 2011) - The University of South Florida ranks 27th among U.S. public institutions in the newest edition of the Top American Research Universities.

USF’s ranking was fueled by its high ratings in total research funding, federal research grants, postdoctoral fellows, doctoral degree productivity, and faculty awards. The ratings system compares universities on a total of nine performance measures.

“USF continues to demonstrate its strength and emerging status among the top tier of American research universities,†said USF President Judy Genshaft. “Building a great research university is important to the health, economic security and standard of living for our region, our nation and the world.â€

USF’s long-term strategic plan guides the development of the university and draws on metrics used in the Top American Research Universities annual report and other national rankings. Provost Ralph Wilcox said that USF’s performance, which eclipses that of several established AAU member institutions, underscores the university’s progress toward its ambitious strategic goal.

In addition to its overall ranking among public universities, USF ranked 39th in overall research funding and 36th in federal research awards.

The full text of the 2010 report can be found here. The Top American Research Universities report is the work of The Center for University Measurement, located at Arizona State University.

“USF is a young and dynamic university on a rapid, upward trajectory,†Wilcox said. “We’ve endured financial challenges, the growing-pains associated with raising standards and worked tirelessly to grow our national and international reputation as a leading, global academic research institution. Rankings such as these give us a moment to evaluate the effects of the hard work and accomplishments of our talented students, faculty and staff.â€

“We are always thrilled to see USF move up in rankings,†said Karen Holbrook, Senior Vice President for Research, Innovation & Global Affairs.  “While our purpose is not to simply increase in ranking, it is to be as productive as we know we are capable of and when our faculty achieve at the high levels they strive for, we naturally move up among our peers.  This change reflects their success.â€

Institutions that have federal research expenditures as reported to NSF of at least $20 million and that fall within the top 25 on at least one of the nine measures fall into The Center's definition of the top research universities.  The Top American Research Universities annual publication provides a comprehensive set of data on more than 600 institutions, and on occasion includes analytical discussions of topics related to research university performance.

http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=3426

Our recent ACT results would give us another metric reached for TheCenter. I think that will give us 6 out of 9, which is probably more than FSU and just about everybody else out of the Top 25 public research universities.

Archived