• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will Versus/NBC Showcase the Big East?

usf97

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Interesting article about how NBC plans on adding sporting events for versus. The writer speculates that maybe games would make it onto NBC prior to or after Notre Dame games.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/02/03/ebersol-versus-to-be-re-branded-to-include-nbc-sports-brand/

This week we saw NBC Sports President, **** Ebersol make an official comment on the worst kept secret: that Versus would eventually be rebranded in some capacity as NBC Sports.

Versus will be the primary NBC Sports network, that much seems to be known.

But the regional networks will also likely be in the mix for some rebranding, such as ComcastSportsNet Bay Area (CSN Bay Area) potentially becoming NBC Sports Bay Area, or CSN New England becoming NBC Sports New England. Or course, Comcast networks like SNY in New York will likely be exempt, since they are a joint business by the NY Mets, Time Warner and Comcast.

But the key, is that with these upcoming moves, the door will be opened for NBC Sports to get more aggressive in obtaining more college sports broadcast rights for it’s regional networks, the primary NBC Sports Network (currently called Versus), and perhaps even NBC itself.

Since the business is currently tied to the model of networks partnering with conferences, there are only so many options at this time.

Comcast already has the Mountain West in it’s fold via the Mtn, in theory, so they have those west coast markets.

The SEC, Big Ten, ACC and soon to be Pac-10 are locked up or about to be locked up elsewhere via ESPN/ABC, CBS and FoxSports.

But all of a sudden, maybe the new TCU included Big East conference could make a push to be the east coast conference tied into the new NBC Sports, since the Big East is already a big part of SNY in NY.

And if Fox can’t fully pony up the $20 million for the Big 12 schools, a promise made to keep that conference together, then maybe you make a bold move to get that conference.

In the perfect world for NBC sports, that would mean having the Big East (east), Big 12 (Central) and MWC (West). That would be huge for the regional networks since like FoxSports, it would mean having (3) games on in EVERY region each Saturday: a 12pmET(9amPT) Big East game, a 4pmET(1pmPT) of a Big 12 game, and an 8pmET MWC game(5pmPT) each week on 1 network.

Even better, if you can get 1-2 more conferences on top of the MWC, even just the Big East, then you have a choice for having a featured game each week on NBC Sports (currently called Versus). Some weeks it might be Pitt vs WVU, or Syracuse vs Pittsburgh, while other weeks it might be more like Boise St. vs SDSU.

And if this works out, there is always the opportunity for the NBC Sports re-named network (currently Versus) to have a featured game each Saturday on NBC. There is something to be said about each week having Notre Dame on NBC either followed by or preceding a featured MWC or Big East game of a high magnitude.

But at this time, with only the MWC in the mix, and it’s not as strong a product to be putting out there on a national level on a network like NBC that would likely have higher ratings in golf.

Time will tell and we’ll know more as the Comcast and NBC merger makes more progress.

But it appears that with a national brand like NBC combining with the strong infrastructure already in place via the Comcast regional sports networks, that like ABC has with the ESPN properties of ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, or how FoxSports is with it’s regional contracts, perhaps we’re about to see a new power player enter the mix. Of course, with new competition, will mean even higher TV contracts for the schools/conferences to benefit from.

Guest nybullsfan

We have some great content in the Big East, especially when including roundball. We should be able to play the networks for a nice chunk of change when it's time to launch the Big East Network.

ESPN prolly has the most expertise / announcers / camera teams, though, so I personally hope we stay with ESPN.

I am beginning to think the BEN is just a ploy to drive the price up on the new BE television contract. Fox and NBC coming into the market only helps things....because they could eventually drive up the price.

I could see the Big East threaten a BE network just in order to push the price higher to commit to NOT starting a BEN.

The SEC and ACC already did studies and apparently came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the gamble. From what I understand.....the BEN would almost have to ensure it gets basic carriage on NYC cable just to pay for itself. Since the NYC market is already so sports saturated.....I don't know that getting a Big East Network on Basic Cable is feasible.

Although, all the other conference TV deals are wrapped up for a while, especially on the East coast.....so if NBC really wants to be a player.....I could see them over-paying for BE sports just to get into the marketplace. From what I understand, ESPN opened negotiations that would have provided each BE football team about $10 million a season. Fox asked the Big East to wait and now numbers like $15 million per team per season are being estimated. I wonder if NBC could drive that number further up. I don't care where the Big East lands just so we make the most money.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Its all about the dough

• Content Count:  209
  • Days Won:  0

I am beginning to think the BEN is just a ploy to drive the price up on the new BE television contract. Fox and NBC coming into the market only helps things....because they could eventually drive up the price.

I could see the Big East threaten a BE network just in order to push the price higher to commit to NOT starting a BEN.

The SEC and ACC already did studies and apparently came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the gamble. From what I understand.....the BEN would almost have to ensure it gets basic carriage on NYC cable just to pay for itself. Since the NYC market is already so sports saturated.....I don't know that getting a Big East Network on Basic Cable is feasible.

Although, all the other conference TV deals are wrapped up for a while, especially on the East coast.....so if NBC really wants to be a player.....I could see them over-paying for BE sports just to get into the marketplace. From what I understand, ESPN opened negotiations that would have provided each BE football team about $10 million a season. Fox asked the Big East to wait and now numbers like $15 million per team per season are being estimated. I wonder if NBC could drive that number further up. I don't care where the Big East lands just so we make the most money.

The BEN is on SNY which is located on the basic tier of cable throughout all cable systems in the NY metro area.  Since Comcast is a part owner the deal with NBC would be a smooth move.

Right and that could continue.....what I was talking about above....a Big East Network.....I was talking about creating a separate channel altogether, like the Big Ten Network Channel. It is ESPN's worst nightmare and obviously, they have done much to ensure the SEC and ACC did not start one.

I have a feeling, the gamble of starting such a channel won't be worth just taking the money like the ACC and SEC did.

• Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

big east needs a separate channel

Archived