• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Villanova and expansion

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,477
  • Days Won:  422

The good news is it keeps USF as the ONLY Florida school in the Big East

This is all I care about. I couldn't care less if it takes 'Nova 10 years to be competitive.

I really can't understand how you could want what's best for USF football and not see this ....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

This is all I care about. I couldn't care less if it takes 'Nova 10 years to be competitive.

Exactly, Villanova can be the Big East's Duke. First in basketball, worst in football.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Dude, cable boxes? That's semi true. The Big East and their potential TV network would end up in Philly regardless of the BS football-PHilly TV market excuse.

The network would get picked up in Philly with or without nova football because Nova basketball would demand it.

Again. Nova football does NOTHING for tue Big East. The ONLY reason it's being considered is because they don't want inbalance between football and basketball...nova, even with football is a basketball lean.

• Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Exactly, Villanova can be the Big East's Duke. First in basketball, worst in football.

I agree. Plus, if UConn can do it, why not Nova?

• Content Count:  4,016

The Philadelphia TV market? Ha! That worked well with Temple.

I'd argue college football crazy markets like Birmingham , Orlando, or New Orleans would be more beneficial than Philadelphia who Is probably one of the worst college football markets inthebleachers country.

Well it's a good thing your not involved in the television negotiations because that's not the point.  The point is within the Philly market there are a number of BE fans, as well as Nova fans, that would subscribe or take interest in viewing a Big East network.  Adding Nova would assure the Big East would grab a portion of those fans.  Whether it translate to more actual viewership remains to be seen, what is a fact is the Big East can walk into negotiations explaining they have a football footprint in the fourth largest television market in the United States.  That will translate to more dollars.  And please don't make me explain the differences in network deals when Temple was a member and where they are today, or the fact when Temple was a member it was 'football only' so BE fans in philly only had a passing interest in Temple.  Not to mention as a 1-AA member Nova's attendance was nearly as high as Temple's as a 1-A team.

That is the point and whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant because it's what the networks are buying.  Claiming you're going to B-ham, New Orleans, Memphis, or Orlando in lieu of Philly because they're more 'rabid' is comical because the schools within those markets that could be available for the BE to take UCF, UAB, Tulane, or Memphis don't own their markets and derive any more interest in their community toward their program than Nova does to Philly- there are far more UF, FSU fans in Orlando than UCF.  So using that sound philosophy you simply defer to the largest television market which is Philly. 

• Content Count:  684

how is that good for big east

Page 12 covers some good reasons

competition standpoint

They kinda address the importance of being competitive at the bottom of page 10.

Page 13 also does a good job at undermining the competition gap

The Philadelphia TV market? Ha! That worked well with Temple.

I'd argue college football crazy markets like Birmingham , Orlando, or New Orleans would be more beneficial than Philadelphia who Is probably one of the worst college football markets inthebleachers country.

From page 17:

ln addition we should expect enhanced ticket sales from Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, and West Virginia local alumni, All have large contingents of fans in the Philadelphia area and their locations are close enough for students to travel.

That sounds like a good overall Big East market

Re: Page 17...yeah, that worked with Temple.

Bullpride,

It's as simple as this. The market is worth crap if the demand doesn't exist.

Let's look at the recent Big 10 expansion...they could have taken anyone they wanted and for good reason, they have their own network already.

They didn't take Rutgers and the NY market, opting for Nebraska? Why? Because the NY market wasn't really worth it because there is very little interest in college football.

There is borderline interest for football in Philly. No one shows for Nova games, no one shows for Temple games, no one watches (one of the lowest rated big markets for college football)

And to back it all up, Nova basketball would demand any future BE network be on their local cable lineup.

Your football contracts are worth a lot more in the football crazy southern markets, which is why the SEC demanded a 18 mil a year, Texas got their own network for 13-15 mil a year, etc.

I understand those pale in comparison to what the BE could demand, but the point is they could demand more if football is the focus of their network and it's advertising.

The Big East has tried football in Philly once, and they tried to make it stay. It just didn't work.

Archived