• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Villanova Looks Like It May Be Big East Bound For Football

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Editor Danielle Vickery: Heard some news you want us to check out? Let me know: Danielle.Vickery@patch.com 

Serving northern Lower Merion Township, including Bryn Mawr, Villanova and GladwyneSign Up | Log In

Sports

The school has shown some tangible signs it’s leaning there.

By Joseph Santoliquito

No one is saying anything. It’s the great secret. It’s almost taboo to even mention Big East Conference, football and Villanova on the bucolic Radnor campus without fear of the Wildcats thought police descending upon you.

But aside from wayward looks and the reluctance of Villanova University's administration to talk about the Wildcats' move to the Big East for football, there are a number of signs—some strong, some tepid—that Villanova may make the move. Villanova has publicly said it won’t announce its official decision until April, when Villanova’s Board of Trustees meet to “discuss outstanding items.â€

In the meantime, what is known is this:

Villanova is buying up residential property in Delaware County and Montgomery County along County Line Road, adjacent to Villanova Stadium. The Wildcats’ coaching staff has shown increased interest in a number of major Division I recruits—the type of players Villanova may have not gone so strongly after in the past, thinking those players would commit to Division I schools.

The circumstantial signs are there, as Villanova follows a timeline, with further discussions with area residents throughout this month, followed by a meeting in February to update the Villanova Board of Trustees and in March a look at the school’s findings and how feasible a move to the Big East in football would be.

Villanova’s “official†announcement is scheduled for April, and by the way Villanova is moving forward, the school is building a crescendo drum roll to what looks like a decision that the Wildcats could be the 10th member of the Big East Conference for football, effective hopefully for the 2012 season.

Some collateral evidence points to Villanova’s inclusion in the Big East, which receives an automatic berth in the Bowl Championship Series. The conference announced in early 2009 that it was looking for two schools to join its football conference.

Villanova, which made the 2009 Final Four in basketball, has been part of the Big East basketball conference since its inception in 1980. The Wildcats are members of the Big East Conference in every sport, with mens lacrosse joining the Big East for its inaugural season last year.

The Big East brand carries huge cache, and though it’s a BCS conference, the Big East is currently the smallest BCS football conference and still carries the little-sister stigma of being a “basketball conference,†with football grabbing its basketball coattails. There are currently 16 schools in the Big East Conference for basketball (Villanova, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Marquette, Louisville, West Virginia, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Georgetown, DePaul, Providence and South Florida).

Of those 16 schools, only eight play in the Big East for football (Connecticut, West Virginia, Syracuse, South Florida, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Rutgers), with Notre Dame continuing its traditional independent football schedule and Georgetown playing on the same level as Villanova in football, which is the NCAA Division I-AA level (or NCAA Subdivision), in the Patriot League.

The Wildcats, 2010 NCAA Subdivision national champions, currently play football in the Colonial Athletic Conference, which includes local teams like Delaware.

But as of the 2012 season, the Big East is receiving a big boost after national power TCU announced on November 29 that it would be the ninth member of the conference in football, starting in the 2012 season. If Villanova decides to go, the Wildcats would be the 10th school.

A part of Villanova’s inclusion in the Big East is whether the 12,000-seat Villanova Stadium can hold the NCAA’s mandated 15,000 for Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly known as Division I football, which now stands for FBS). Villanova competes at the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level and won the 2009 FCS national title.

“We’d love to have Villanova in the Big East conference for football,†said one Big East football coach, who asked that his name not be used. “This is a tricky situation. Everyone is tight-lipped. They’re trying to get as many of the Big East schools in basketball aligned with the football conference, and with Notre Dame continuing to play an independent schedule in football, which doesn’t seem as if it will change after a hundred years, I’m sure it has to make things tough for the conference when it comes to finding that 10th school for football.

“It’s why Villanova would be a great choice. I have a strong impression that the conference would take them. We’re talking about what, 2,500, maybe expanding their stadium by 3,000—it doesn’t seem to be that big of an expansion. I understand Villanova wants to take its time with this, but I do know they’re going after a lot of kids that in the past they might not have before.

“There are some signs there. Put it this way, I wouldn’t be shocked if they made the move. It just makes sense for everyone, the conference, Villanova, its student body and great alumni base that can possibly look forward to traveling to a bowl game. Some coaches in this conference are in favor of it, because we do have that label that we’re a ‘basketball conference.’ TCU’s inclusion may cause people to look at the conference more differently. Villanova coming in certainly wouldn’t hurt either.â€

Some logistics need to be worked out in reference to Villanova Stadium. Sources and public records show that the school may be working on the expansion of the open-ended stadium, which may be expanded in the East end. Villanova has scheduled the demolition of Gallberry Hall House at the East end of the stadium and met with area residents at Villanova Stadium’s press box to discuss the matter Wednesday night. Whether that is related to the stadium’s expansion is unknown.

Speculation was that if Villanova couldn’t play at Villanova Stadium, the Wildcats could possibly find another home at PPL Park in Chester, the Philadelphia Union’s state-of-the-art 18,500-seat soccer stadium. But Major League Soccer may have something to say about that, since it plays a 30-game schedule that runs from April until October with the additional lines complicating the soccer lines on the field.

Plus, to quote numerous sources that are familiar with the situation, Villanova and college football, “I don’t think you’re going to get a Villanova crowd to go down to Chester to watch a football game.â€

Lincoln Financial Field is out. The Eagles and Temple are already playing there, and three teams playing on that field would put it in a terrible condition—something the Eagles would not stand for.

Within the last six months, Villanova has bought property around Villanova Stadium, referring to it as a green buffer, which may be used for additional parking, and the stadium is configured that an additional set of stands may be added to one of the open ends enabling Villanova to reach the 15,000-seat minimum the NCAA mandates.

Then there are the players. Wildcats’ coach Andy Talley and his staff have been directed by the school not to talk about inclusion to the Big East when selling Villanova to recruits.

But once Terrell Chestnut, a standout, all-state defensive back from Pottsgrove, changed his mind and de-committed from Pittsburgh, after the school fired two coaches, Dave Wannstedt and his replacement, Mike Haywood, who was dismissed for alleged domestic violence charges, it left Chestnut looking for a new school.

Miami, West Virginia, and Boston College called and showed immediate interest—so did Villanova, which gave Chestnut a scholarship offer early in the recruiting process. Miami and Boston College are Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) schools. West Virginia plays in the Big East. What school doesn’t belong?

“Once the decision came down from Pitt, Villanova I would say was heavily involved,†Chestnut said. “They gave me an offer when I was originally being recruited and they showed some interest, but not like this, not like now. I think they’re going to the Big East. I hope they do. It’s a great school, it’s local. They have a great coaching staff there, and they were national champions a few years ago in I-AA. Villanova is definitely in my top five of schools I’m thinking about.â€

Corey Majors, a 6-1, 230-pound all-Suburban One League linebacker for Neshaminy, has already committed to Villanova. Majors said Villanova’s move to the Big East never came into the equation, but Majors was highly sought by Minnesota (Big 10 Conference), Pitt (Big East) and Temple (Mid-American Conference).

“The first thing you think about as a football player when someone mentions Villanova is basketball,†said Majors, who’s playing in the Big 33 game after making 83 tackles his senior year. “I loved Villanova, and I have no idea right now what Villanova is going to do with the Big East, but I sense they are going to make the move. The players there and the people I spoke to think it’s a good move to make, and they want to do it. I looked to go to Villanova for the opportunity to play early.â€

There are further logistics that certainly need to be ironed out. Cost seems to be the most prohibitive deterrent if Villanova does not make the move. The NCAA allows 85 scholarships for Division I programs and 63 for Division I-AA, the level Villanova currently plays. The Wildcats will need to foot the bill for 22 additional scholarships, and find another female sport to meet Title IX standards.

Then there are the tax payers in Radnor that will be picking up the cost for additional police, road and emergency services needed for the larger crowds Villanova will incur. Statistics show that 25 to 30 percent of calls to Radnor Township involve the four non-real estate-tax-paying colleges in Radnor (Villanova, Eastern, Cabrini and Valley Forge Military Academy).

“We’re concerned with the impact a move to the Big East would have on the neighborhoods that wrap around the Villanova campus, and the additional traffic the area would have to accommodate,†Radnor Township Manager Bob Zienkowski said. “They’re going to almost double their normal crowd, and you’re dealing with tailgating and things like that. It’s not a negative, by any means, but it does impact the community and we provide the police and emergency services for all Villanova public events.â€

Zienkowski confirmed Villanova has spoken to Radnor Township, but no formal discussions have taken place yet. Villanova is still in its planning stages, but Zienkowski said the township can handle it.

“We’ll just have to budget accordingly," Zienkowski said. "In my opinion, I think they’re going to make the move. It’s a move that’s big for the university and big for the program. All their sports are in the Big East, and the move is a natural fit for them.â€

Wednesday night’s meeting drew mixed reactions from Villanova residents. Some thought Villanova was going to make the move, some didn’t. But they agreed on one thing—they’re not that crazy about it.

“It’s going to happen. I have a feeling with all the time and effort Villanova is putting into this, and I give them credit for at least caring what the residents in the community think, they’re going to join the Big East,†said one resident who asked that his name not be used. “Some around here don’t think they’re going to do it. But you have to ask yourself, why are they buying property around the school and putting the time into this—to not make the move?â€

Chris May lives on Braxton Road within walking distance of Villanova Stadium. He loves hearing the crowd’s reaction from his back porch during football season. He likes Villanova’s current situation. It’s unimposing on the neighborhood and it’s a snug, comfortable fit.

“I have a sense that it’s not going to happen,†May said. “Talking to the other people in the area and around the community, some associated with the school, they’re saying it’s not going to happen. It’s simply too expensive to make the move. I think residents in this area don’t want the added traffic, and the mayhem. You get a sense Villanova would lose that community feel and connection the school has with people living around it. Then again, who knows?â€

Apparently no one knows for certain right now. But the signs are there

http://brynmawr.patch.com/articles/villanova-looks-like-it-may-be-big-east-bound-for-football#c

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Hope they do it

• Content Count:  4,879

wouldn't the additional dollars that Nova would get as a BE member pay for most if not all of the added scholarship expenses?

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

wouldn't the additional dollars that Nova would get as a BE member pay for most if not all of the added scholarship expenses?

Yes, it would cover all of it.

Guest nybullsfan

Yes, it would cover all of it.

And then some. They're predicting football will turn anywhere from a $1M to $3M profit

• Content Count:  1,204

And the contract for TV will be up in a few years.  Adding Dallas and Philly to the mix alone will make the deal more valuable.  My guess is we'll end up creating the Big East Network as an independent entity with a TV partner in the mix (ESPN or Fox).  Our network would be based in NYC.

The new ACC deal will get each school $13M and change a year for 12 years.  With the Big East's expanded footprint, I could see the BE besting that number when the contract is redone and wouldn't be surprised if football schools end up with $15M in TV revenue per year or more. 

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Editor Danielle Vickery: Heard some news you want us to check out? Let me know: Danielle.Vickery@patch.com   

Serving northern Lower Merion Township, including Bryn Mawr, Villanova and GladwyneSign Up | Log In

Sports

The school has shown some tangible signs it’s leaning there.

By Joseph Santoliquito

No one is saying anything. It’s the great secret. It’s almost taboo to even mention Big East Conference, football and Villanova on the bucolic Radnor campus without fear of the Wildcats thought police descending upon you.

But aside from wayward looks and the reluctance of Villanova University's administration to talk about the Wildcats' move to the Big East for football, there are a number of signs—some strong, some tepid—that Villanova may make the move. Villanova has publicly said it won’t announce its official decision until April, when Villanova’s Board of Trustees meet to “discuss outstanding items.â€

In the meantime, what is known is this:

Villanova is buying up residential property in Delaware County and Montgomery County along County Line Road, adjacent to Villanova Stadium. The Wildcats’ coaching staff has shown increased interest in a number of major Division I recruits—the type of players Villanova may have not gone so strongly after in the past, thinking those players would commit to Division I schools.

The circumstantial signs are there, as Villanova follows a timeline, with further discussions with area residents throughout this month, followed by a meeting in February to update the Villanova Board of Trustees and in March a look at the school’s findings and how feasible a move to the Big East in football would be.

Villanova’s “official†announcement is scheduled for April, and by the way Villanova is moving forward, the school is building a crescendo drum roll to what looks like a decision that the Wildcats could be the 10th member of the Big East Conference for football, effective hopefully for the 2012 season.

Some collateral evidence points to Villanova’s inclusion in the Big East, which receives an automatic berth in the Bowl Championship Series. The conference announced in early 2009 that it was looking for two schools to join its football conference.

Villanova, which made the 2009 Final Four in basketball, has been part of the Big East basketball conference since its inception in 1980. The Wildcats are members of the Big East Conference in every sport, with mens lacrosse joining the Big East for its inaugural season last year.

The Big East brand carries huge cache, and though it’s a BCS conference, the Big East is currently the smallest BCS football conference and still carries the little-sister stigma of being a “basketball conference,†with football grabbing its basketball coattails. There are currently 16 schools in the Big East Conference for basketball (Villanova, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Marquette, Louisville, West Virginia, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Georgetown, DePaul, Providence and South Florida).

Of those 16 schools, only eight play in the Big East for football (Connecticut, West Virginia, Syracuse, South Florida, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Rutgers), with Notre Dame continuing its traditional independent football schedule and Georgetown playing on the same level as Villanova in football, which is the NCAA Division I-AA level (or NCAA Subdivision), in the Patriot League.

The Wildcats, 2010 NCAA Subdivision national champions, currently play football in the Colonial Athletic Conference, which includes local teams like Delaware.

But as of the 2012 season, the Big East is receiving a big boost after national power TCU announced on November 29 that it would be the ninth member of the conference in football, starting in the 2012 season. If Villanova decides to go, the Wildcats would be the 10th school.

A part of Villanova’s inclusion in the Big East is whether the 12,000-seat Villanova Stadium can hold the NCAA’s mandated 15,000 for Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly known as Division I football, which now stands for FBS). Villanova competes at the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level and won the 2009 FCS national title.

“We’d love to have Villanova in the Big East conference for football,†said one Big East football coach, who asked that his name not be used. “This is a tricky situation. Everyone is tight-lipped. They’re trying to get as many of the Big East schools in basketball aligned with the football conference, and with Notre Dame continuing to play an independent schedule in football, which doesn’t seem as if it will change after a hundred years, I’m sure it has to make things tough for the conference when it comes to finding that 10th school for football.

“It’s why Villanova would be a great choice. I have a strong impression that the conference would take them. We’re talking about what, 2,500, maybe expanding their stadium by 3,000—it doesn’t seem to be that big of an expansion. I understand Villanova wants to take its time with this, but I do know they’re going after a lot of kids that in the past they might not have before.

“There are some signs there. Put it this way, I wouldn’t be shocked if they made the move. It just makes sense for everyone, the conference, Villanova, its student body and great alumni base that can possibly look forward to traveling to a bowl game. Some coaches in this conference are in favor of it, because we do have that label that we’re a ‘basketball conference.’ TCU’s inclusion may cause people to look at the conference more differently. Villanova coming in certainly wouldn’t hurt either.â€

Some logistics need to be worked out in reference to Villanova Stadium. Sources and public records show that the school may be working on the expansion of the open-ended stadium, which may be expanded in the East end. Villanova has scheduled the demolition of Gallberry Hall House at the East end of the stadium and met with area residents at Villanova Stadium’s press box to discuss the matter Wednesday night. Whether that is related to the stadium’s expansion is unknown.

Speculation was that if Villanova couldn’t play at Villanova Stadium, the Wildcats could possibly find another home at PPL Park in Chester, the Philadelphia Union’s state-of-the-art 18,500-seat soccer stadium. But Major League Soccer may have something to say about that, since it plays a 30-game schedule that runs from April until October with the additional lines complicating the soccer lines on the field.

Plus, to quote numerous sources that are familiar with the situation, Villanova and college football, “I don’t think you’re going to get a Villanova crowd to go down to Chester to watch a football game.â€

Lincoln Financial Field is out. The Eagles and Temple are already playing there, and three teams playing on that field would put it in a terrible condition—something the Eagles would not stand for.

Within the last six months, Villanova has bought property around Villanova Stadium, referring to it as a green buffer, which may be used for additional parking, and the stadium is configured that an additional set of stands may be added to one of the open ends enabling Villanova to reach the 15,000-seat minimum the NCAA mandates.

Then there are the players. Wildcats’ coach Andy Talley and his staff have been directed by the school not to talk about inclusion to the Big East when selling Villanova to recruits.

But once Terrell Chestnut, a standout, all-state defensive back from Pottsgrove, changed his mind and de-committed from Pittsburgh, after the school fired two coaches, Dave Wannstedt and his replacement, Mike Haywood, who was dismissed for alleged domestic violence charges, it left Chestnut looking for a new school.

Miami, West Virginia, and Boston College called and showed immediate interest—so did Villanova, which gave Chestnut a scholarship offer early in the recruiting process. Miami and Boston College are Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) schools. West Virginia plays in the Big East. What school doesn’t belong?

“Once the decision came down from Pitt, Villanova I would say was heavily involved,†Chestnut said. “They gave me an offer when I was originally being recruited and they showed some interest, but not like this, not like now. I think they’re going to the Big East. I hope they do. It’s a great school, it’s local. They have a great coaching staff there, and they were national champions a few years ago in I-AA. Villanova is definitely in my top five of schools I’m thinking about.â€

Corey Majors, a 6-1, 230-pound all-Suburban One League linebacker for Neshaminy, has already committed to Villanova. Majors said Villanova’s move to the Big East never came into the equation, but Majors was highly sought by Minnesota (Big 10 Conference), Pitt (Big East) and Temple (Mid-American Conference).

“The first thing you think about as a football player when someone mentions Villanova is basketball,†said Majors, who’s playing in the Big 33 game after making 83 tackles his senior year. “I loved Villanova, and I have no idea right now what Villanova is going to do with the Big East, but I sense they are going to make the move. The players there and the people I spoke to think it’s a good move to make, and they want to do it. I looked to go to Villanova for the opportunity to play early.â€

There are further logistics that certainly need to be ironed out. Cost seems to be the most prohibitive deterrent if Villanova does not make the move. The NCAA allows 85 scholarships for Division I programs and 63 for Division I-AA, the level Villanova currently plays. The Wildcats will need to foot the bill for 22 additional scholarships, and find another female sport to meet Title IX standards.

Then there are the tax payers in Radnor that will be picking up the cost for additional police, road and emergency services needed for the larger crowds Villanova will incur. Statistics show that 25 to 30 percent of calls to Radnor Township involve the four non-real estate-tax-paying colleges in Radnor (Villanova, Eastern, Cabrini and Valley Forge Military Academy).

“We’re concerned with the impact a move to the Big East would have on the neighborhoods that wrap around the Villanova campus, and the additional traffic the area would have to accommodate,†Radnor Township Manager Bob Zienkowski said. “They’re going to almost double their normal crowd, and you’re dealing with tailgating and things like that. It’s not a negative, by any means, but it does impact the community and we provide the police and emergency services for all Villanova public events.â€

Zienkowski confirmed Villanova has spoken to Radnor Township, but no formal discussions have taken place yet. Villanova is still in its planning stages, but Zienkowski said the township can handle it.

“We’ll just have to budget accordingly," Zienkowski said. "In my opinion, I think they’re going to make the move. It’s a move that’s big for the university and big for the program. All their sports are in the Big East, and the move is a natural fit for them.â€

Wednesday night’s meeting drew mixed reactions from Villanova residents. Some thought Villanova was going to make the move, some didn’t. But they agreed on one thing—they’re not that crazy about it.

“It’s going to happen. I have a feeling with all the time and effort Villanova is putting into this, and I give them credit for at least caring what the residents in the community think, they’re going to join the Big East,†said one resident who asked that his name not be used. “Some around here don’t think they’re going to do it. But you have to ask yourself, why are they buying property around the school and putting the time into this—to not make the move?â€

Chris May lives on Braxton Road within walking distance of Villanova Stadium. He loves hearing the crowd’s reaction from his back porch during football season. He likes Villanova’s current situation. It’s unimposing on the neighborhood and it’s a snug, comfortable fit.

“I have a sense that it’s not going to happen,†May said. “Talking to the other people in the area and around the community, some associated with the school, they’re saying it’s not going to happen. It’s simply too expensive to make the move. I think residents in this area don’t want the added traffic, and the mayhem. You get a sense Villanova would lose that community feel and connection the school has with people living around it. Then again, who knows?â€

Apparently no one knows for certain right now. But the signs are there

http://brynmawr.patch.com/articles/villanova-looks-like-it-may-be-big-east-bound-for-football#c

Great read, thanks for sharing.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Nova NEEDS to move up.

• Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

• Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

No real news though...but maybe not waiting on Nova's decision was  surprise. My chant remains, winning solves everything.

Archived