• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reports swirling USF lobbying hard for Houston / against UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

why are you guys praying for Nova? that will embarrass your conference.  even if they are moving up they won't be ready till 2014 at the earliest so I think the Big East had intentions for 10 teams in 2012. If USF is blocking UCF, I'm sure that word will make it to the State Government considering both are public schools and that won't be good for USF

UCONN is public. Temple was a failed Philly experiment. You don't know the landscape in Philadelphia if you think BCS level Football would work there. It's asking for unrealistic growth for their fanbase and playing Big East games in a scaled down euro style soccer stadium, exciting

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,016

bull martin brings good discussion to table. bullpride's assertions are interesting, but i'm not sure they're truthful. seem like smoke and mirrors to me.

in any case, i would disagree that UCF fb adds little more than Nova. we've got a pretty decent (though admittedly not massive) following that is relatively similar to USF's from a growth/timeline/potential perspective. it stands to reason that a little excitement pushes our attendance numbers from the current 40ish range to the 50ish range, and toward 60 on a 'great day' (i.e. BE champ/BCS game potential). Nova's fb program is truly on a I-AA level in all aspects off the field (<15k avg), and it's tough to envision that changing materially.

i do find it interesting that 'nova is pulling such a good recruiting class... though it certainly makes sense. i'm not sure it's an indicator that they're definitely making the move, as much as coaches have the ace in their pocket to sell the recruit. i'm really convinced that no one truly knows which way the board will go with this when they do make a decision. there have been reports both directions, and it appears the school truly hasn't made up their minds.

Truthful?  What part don't you believe to be truthful?  You now admit their recruiting class is rather robust given the relative status of the program today.  That's very interesting because 1-AA schools do not just suddenly recruit like that unless they're possibly selling something additional.

A trustee decision is a trustee decision.   No one ever knows until the meeting and the decision has concluded....but much like a developer going before a county or city counsel for a zoning change...you certainly can stack the deck in one way.  Nova is hiding behind the guise that they're waiting on this 'feasibility report' but in Philly it's been widely mentioned that they're in active negotiations discussing possible deals for venue on where their football team will be played.  It's also been mentioned that prominent donors have been talked to about backing their jump.  Most believe that if Nova receives a good feasibility report, and secure the reported $30-40MM they need for the jump, and if a venue deal has been tenatively secured then the deal will happen.  As I've heard and read thus far none of those are quite there yet but some Nova faithful believe they will be by May.

It's really that simple.  No way Judy is lobbying against UCF, that's  perposterous suggestion at this juncture because it could be politically dam*ing to our university if it was discovered.  No need to until anyne decides if Nova is jumping up.  As of today the BE has decided to go to 10 teams if TCU accepted and Nova jumped....IF Nova says "NO" and many believe they will not because the Big East financial incentives for them to do this are huge....then lobbying will need to take place IF other members vote with a 2/3'rd majority to push for a 10th football member.  A lot of "IF's" in front of UCF so why would Judy occupied her already to busy days to conspire?

why are you guys praying for Nova? that will embarrass your conference.  even if they are moving up they won't be ready till 2014 at the earliest so I think the Big East had intentions for 10 teams in 2012. If USF is blocking UCF, I'm sure that word will make it to the State Government considering both are public schools and that won't be good for USF

UCONN is public. Temple was a failed Philly experiment. You don't know the landscape in Philadelphia if you think BCS level Football would work there. It's asking for unrealistic growth for their fanbase and playing Big East games in a scaled down euro style soccer stadium, exciting

You see Bull Martin this is why you do not speculate :lolnew  Now the UCF fans trying to bait USF fans assume it to be "FACT" that we're lobbying against them.

What in the world can we lobby against?  We can't lobby against anyone until Nova decides.  And at this point it isn't up to us to support Nova, or pray for them...they've already been given the very offer by the Big East with some very handsome financial incentives.  No praying in the world will change the results-- because Nova's a Catholic University they're already got God on their side... ;D  It's out of our hands, it's entirely in Nova's hands.  If you think by us 'praying for Nova' helps, then just 'pray to the same God against Nova'....I am sure God will measure the yea and nay votes and decide accordingly. :lmao

It is not up to us to decide if Nova is worthy, but Notre Dame, and BC have proven Catholic Private Institutions can do it.  Furthermore if you just think this is about bringing quality football to the BE then you're far to naive for this discussion.  The Big East is looking to create it's own television network.  It's about grabbing the Philly market, whether that's plausable or not it still can be illustrated to television executives.  After that the quality will be up to the fans.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The Big East never said that the intention was to go to 10 teams for the 2012 season, ONLY that the intention was to go to 10 teams. Once TCU is in the fold it fixes the scheduling issues, so waiting a couple of more years for Villanova poses no issue for the league.

I'm not "praying" for Villanova. I agree with you that they will have a tough time getting acclimated to the Big East for football, but they can do it.  They make the most sense since they have been in the league since the second year, it would not add more to the basketball side of things, and grabbing the Philly market for the Big East TV network would be huge.

Temple may have failed, but that doesn't mean Villanova will.

In a perfect world, the Big East would have just stopped when they added TCU.

USF cannot "BLOCK" UCF for getting an invite. USF can certainly voice opposition to it and give reasons for the opposition, but that is as far as it would go.

• Content Count:  88

bullpride - it's primarily the last paragraph of each of your posts that seem like defensive spin, in addition to your steadfast assertion that everything hinges on Nova (even though the commish and WVU AD have both been quoted indicating the conference's decision does not). very KL'esque of you. i tip my hat.

also i'm not sure that drawing a comparison between nova and uconn is fair. it doesn't seem at all feasible for nova to erect the stadium/practice/training facilities that UCONN has, nor produce an AQ fanbase to match.

bullpride - it's primarily the last paragraph of each of your posts that seem like defensive spin, in addition to your steadfast assertion that everything hinges on Nova (even though the commish and WVU AD have both been quoted indicating the conference's decision does not). very KL'esque of you. i tip my hat.

also i'm not sure that drawing a comparison between nova and uconn is fair. it doesn't seem at all feasible for nova to erect the stadium/practice/training facilities that UCONN has, nor produce an AQ fanbase to match.

What did the WVU AD say?  I missed so please provide the link that the commish and or AD Luck said such a thing.

Here's a link-- since you want to call me KL, and I seem to be the only one that wants to research and provide links instead of speculate then allow me to help you with your bad case of 'speculationitis'.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/11/04/john-marinatto-big-east-commissioner-discusses-expansion/

Read the link oh fact challenged one.  Notice Marinatto clearly stated that in November the Board of Presidents voted to expand to 10.  Not eleven, but ten.  Also note that he said NO CURRENT BIG EAST MEMBER WILL BE VOTED ON TO LEAVE.

SO, as of today we know that the last time BE decision makers met they decided to only add 10, and that of those ten the first two invites were obviously TCU (who accepted), and Nova (which has yet to decide).

http://www.nj.com/rutgers/index.ssf/2010/11/big_east_expansion_approved_un.html

This was an article released days before the decision.  It ackownledged the possible expansion by two teams and that possibly UCF was a team to be mentioned.  But clearly coming out of that meeting they all unanimously decided on TCU, and Nova moving up.

And before UCF fans go on a further tangent to suggest TCU was picked over them because USF lobbied against them......

http://blog.triblive.com/pitt-hoops/2010/11/29/how-jamie-dixon-helped-tcu-join-big-east/

This article states Pitt's much heralded hoops coach Jamie Dixon (A TCU alum) is the one that went to TCU, talked to their Prez and AD, and then went to the BE and Marinatto and connected them.  Not USF to the obvious chagrin of many UCF fans who would like nothing more than to blame us.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/big-east-expansion-2010

As you can see from my further link here that Nova's decision contingent to the exact points I discussed.

Therefore, until Nova decides no one else is an option.  Why lobby for nothing?  Why lobby when Genshaft is already tight with many of the Prez's, why call now?  Why damage FL relations for what appears to be an academic issue right now.  If Nova changes it's tune and stays put then USF will need to decide.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I have been waiting for that quote to be brought up by a Knight fan.....every time you mention Nova.....Knight fan will tell you that AD Luck and BE Commish Marrinatto have gone on record and said "WE WILL NOT WAIT ON NOVA"....as if now they are forcing themselves to make a decision before they know what Nova will do.....yeah, that makes sense. So then....what are they waiting on? All they said is they can do whatever they want to do.

What Knight fan always tries to pull this into is they should be the next deserving BCS AQ team.....which is far from the truth.....since they convieniently fail to mention that BYU and Boise State have done much more football wise than they have ever dreamed about doing. Yeah, yeah geography.....well if we could get TCU to work....I am sure we could get BSU to work....at least on a football only basis.

That said....none of this is about "most deserving" this is about cable boxes, loyalty to an existing member and not having to split basketball money one more way. Nova fits the bill for that. If it is "embarrassing" to our conference....so be it....it is none of your CUSA concern. Will Nova ever attain to anything.....or will they be the Duke of the BE? I don't think the BE cares. Look if Georgetown so much as had a pulse in football we would probably invite them over UCF. This is strictly about adding Football inventory.....anyone would fill the bill. TCU was about adding to the reputation of the League.....again, if we really wanted to add a 2nd team to better that reputation....it would be BSU...not UCF.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

What did the WVU AD say?  I missed so please provide the link that the commish and or AD Luck said such a thing.

Here is the link he is referring to. Scroll down to the 5th segment and start watching at the 3 minute mark. He starts talking about BE expansion. Very insightful but not a lot of info we don't already know.

The quote in question is right at the 5 minute mark. It gives you great insight into Knight listening comprehension skills and how they totally misinterpret what he is trying to say (or at least hear what they want to hear). A minute earlier he acknowledged he is not aware of any timetable, but apparetly in Knight fans mind they( being UCF) are Team X.

It sounds like what he is saying is if team X (i.e. Notre Dame) becomes available, we will not wait on Nova, we will go forward with what is best for the BE.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvufootball/story/id/604

• Content Count:  225

Why would USF lobby against anyone, possibly damage relationships and if it got back to the State could be ****'ing to USF, if there's no need because Nova accepts.

+1

I doubt Genshaft is this stupid. 

Yeah.  A UCF fan told me there are rumors saying USF is trying to block them (no source supplied yet).  But I really don't think they hate a school so much that they are willing to risk not receiving money from the state if anyone found out.    Until a source is supplied, I'll be relaxed but if there is some source out there.. I'll be peeing in my pance because this would be extremely bad for USF

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

rational, truthful discussion please.

How does rational and truthful discussion occur on unsubstantiated rumors about a conversation that isn't actually happening?

Archived