• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Reports swirling USF lobbying hard for Houston / against UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

well I wouldn't get your hopes up UCF.  Nova is already recruiting in football like they're moving up.  They're in the top 5 for a couple of four star players, and have landed 5 top 50 kids from PA and Jersey.  Unprecendented to sign a class like that for any 1-AA team, let alone a Northeastern Catholic one unless.......................... ;) 

It looks to me like Nova is doing the same thing UCF's been doing for years...selling the notion to recruits they will be playing at a higher level soon.  The only difference is Nova can actually illustrate and prove they have a definable offer....UCF on the other hand has been selling something that has all been in their head. :D

BTW, USF can not 'lobby' against UCF....whoever says this is just reading message board drivel.  No discussions or meetings related to further expansion are occurring until after Nova provides their final verdict.  Complete and utter speculation...which is common place on UCF boards, and by the Slantinel.

are you always the USF version of KL?

rational, truthful discussion please.

Rational and truthful?  Oh you're one of those knights that is allowed to bring up speculation and conjecture providing it's ONLY spun properly for UCF, but when someone offers a factual rebuttal...then it's irrational.

Fact-  Nova's recruiting class is like in another world compared to any they've sign previously.  Many of these highly rated recruited opted for Nova over other BCS schools.  Go ahead and look at scout, and rivals if you don't believe me.

Fact- Nova had their football banquet this weekend and much of the message board banter commented that they only have about 12-14 spots available for next season, and they supposedly already have close to 10 commits, but had over 16 come in that were uncommitted this last weekend.  Leading to much speculation that they're preparing to take more scholarship athletes for the expected move upward.  Read their sites.

Fact- Terrell Chestnut a four star rivals player who was a previous committed to Pitt.  And has offers from Pitt, BC, WVU, Maryland, USC, Virginia, Wisconsin...you get the pic.  He visited Nova last weekend on an official visit...and has them in his final top 5.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/usf/football/recruiting/player-Terrell-Chestnut-99408

http://usf.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1178153

A pretty heavy talent for a 1-AA school.

So, the bigger question should be what will UCF do if Nova does jump up as has been heavily rumored.  The "REPORTS" swirling around in the Northeast has been that Nova's plan is to jump they're just trying to secure financial commitments for the money needed and determine on a venue.

So, why would USF lobby against Houston.  I mean how are we doing that?  There have been no Big East meetings to discuss expansion lately so when?  The last meeting was when TCU's offer was extended and Nova's time table was expanded.  So when did we 'allegedly' "LOBBY HARD" for Houston?  And why would we "LOBBY HARD" if the likelihood of Nova making the move is increasing by the day?

You may not like the message but at least I am bringing some illustrations that show there's more reality to what I am spewing then the junk you're trying.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, USF can not 'lobby' against UCF....whoever says this is just reading message board drivel.  No discussions or meetings related to further expansion are occurring until after Nova provides their final verdict.  Complete and utter speculation...which is common place on UCF boards, and by the Slantinel.

While there will likely never be any definitive proof, I would be more than surprised if Judy wasn't in the ears of the presidents of Louisville, WVU, Cincinatti, Pitt, Depaul, and Marquette and trying to black ball UCF.

If Nova declines the invitation, the decision to invite another school will come down to economic studies and a vote of the presidents.  I can almost guarantee that USF is taking provisions to influence that vote.

On top of that Judy would probably be lobbying for Houston because of the connection to Dr. Renu Khator (president and Chancellor of the U of Houston).  Dr. Khator worked at USF for over 20 years and I'm sure she and judy havea great relationship.

How can you 'guarantee that USF is taking provisions'.  And honestly I wish Judy had the desire to push athletics as much as you're making her sound.  This is all moot until Nova makes a decision, and the rumor du jour up there is Nova is going to do it. 

Regardless of our influence. ::)

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

of course there's no official publication to that effect. this is just rumor.

I'm sure USF is lobbying more for Villanova than anyone else.

why would you guys want that? Houston i could understand. Villanova does nothing for the conference football-wise, and could theoretically become a real charity case... which would negate the potential few $K payout dividend savings by staying at 17 rather than going to 18.

Nova is a cornerstone in the Big East.  I believe they were invited in year 2 in the 80s.  They are given the opportunity to move up as a gesture from the Big East.  It keeps the basketball side of the equation manageable.

Also, UCF has had a handful of decent seasons and a pretty good one this last year (with one of the weakest schedules ever...).  It would be hard to argue that UCF gives more to the football side of the equation the Nova.  UCF has little more to offer than Nova and it adds another team to an already too large Basketball conference.

USF would be in favor of Houston only to keep UCF out.  Not that Houston adds more value than UCF.

Just be happy that only one school out of 16 voting are staunchly against UCF as an addition.  UCF still hasa fighting chance, though maybe not actually as it seems Nova will take on the challenge.

Also the problem with this little thread is Omniknight started it so a bunch of Bulls will come on here and speculate away.  He's baiting us all so he can run back to his board and say 'see they're admitting they're lobbying against us'.

Judy Genshaft is not putting in the effort assumed, and I can tell you Woolard has a million other thoughts on his plate then worrying about UCF or Houston when we all realize that either is moot if Nova accepts.  It's beyond our control so for Omniknight to admonish us for supporting Nova it's moot because the offer has already been extended with financial benefits so it's not within our control whether they accept it or not.

We should stop being gullable enough to be baited by these knights.  Until a Knight comes on this board and shows a report that illustrates USF and the Houston Prez's meeting together...and then transcripts from the Big East meetings where USF got up to a podium and said "SAY NO TO UCF" this is all BS guess work.  USF could beg everyone FOR UCF and it woudn't matter to anyone because the decision is in Nova's hands right now.

While there will likely never be any definitive proof, I would be more than surprised if Judy wasn't in the ears of the presidents of Louisville, WVU, Cincinatti, Pitt, Depaul, and Marquette and trying to black ball UCF.

If Nova declines the invitation, the decision to invite another school will come down to economic studies and a vote of the presidents.  I can almost guarantee that USF is taking provisions to influence that vote.

On top of that Judy would probably be lobbying for Houston because of the connection to Dr. Renu Khator (president and Chancellor of the U of Houston).  Dr. Khator worked at USF for over 20 years and I'm sure she and judy havea great relationship.

How can you 'guarantee that USF is taking provisions'.  And honestly I wish Judy had the desire to push athletics as much as you're making her sound.  This is all moot until Nova makes a decision, and the rumor du jour up there is Nova is going to do it. 

First off, I wrote, "ALMOST guarantee..."  I also said there will likely never be any proof of any lobbying, but I am certain that it's going on.

Judy's not just pushing athletics.  She will do whatever she thinks is in the best interest of USF and that's definitely not adding UCF to the Big East.  Athletics is essentially a self-funded marketing campaign that draws in alumni support to the University.  Judy will fight for it when it's necessary.

I'm not saying she's on the phone with these people everyday, but I'm sure she's maid it drastically clear to certain people how she feels about UCF and the Big East.

In all likelihood it wont matter because of Nova, but to say, "USF can not "lobby" against UCF." is a fallacy.

First off, I wrote, "ALMOST guarantee..."  I also said there will likely never be any proof of any lobbying, but I am certain that it's going on.

Judy's not just pushing athletics.  She will do whatever she thinks is in the best interest of USF and that's definitely not adding UCF to the Big East.  Athletics is essentially a self-funded marketing campaign that draws in alumni support to the University.  Judy will fight for it when it's necessary.

I'm not saying she's on the phone with these people everyday, but I'm sure she's maid *made* it drastically clear to certain people how she feels about UCF and the Big East.

In all likelihood it wont matter because of Nova, but to say, "USF can not "lobby" against UCF." is a fallacy.

of course there's no official publication to that effect. this is just rumor.

why would you guys want that? Houston i could understand. Villanova does nothing for the conference football-wise, and could theoretically become a real charity case... which would negate the potential few $K payout dividend savings by staying at 17 rather than going to 18.

Nova is a cornerstone in the Big East.  I believe they were invited in year 2 in the 80s.  They are given the opportunity to move up as a gesture from the Big East.  It keeps the basketball side of the equation manageable.

Also, UCF has had a handful of decent seasons and a pretty good one this last year (with one of the weakest schedules ever...).  It would be hard to argue that UCF gives more to the football side of the equation the Nova.  UCF has little more to offer than Nova and it adds another team to an already too large Basketball conference.

USF would be in favor of Houston only to keep UCF out.  Not that Houston adds more value than UCF.

Just be happy that only one school out of 16 voting are staunchly against UCF as an addition.  UCF still hasa fighting chance, though maybe not actually as it seems Nova will take on the challenge.

Where are you getting all this stuff?  Link please about us 'trying to keep UCF out' and 'UCF has a fighters chance'.  Does anyone realize that USF pushed to add UCF as a "Football Only" member on the first BE expansions back in 2003?

No one has a fighters chance until Nova decides.  Until that decision is made it's all useless.  Why would USF lobby against anyone, possibly damage relationships and if it got back to the State could be ****'ing to USF, if there's no need because Nova accepts.

I'm not saying she's on the phone with these people everyday, but I'm sure she's maid *made* it drastically clear to certain people how she feels about UCF and the Big East.

So, what I conclude from what you're saying is 'you're not saying she's on the phone, and you don't know she's lobbying' but you're willing to tell a UCF fan she is so he/she can go back to their board and send wild speculation about this?

K.  Why even state something you don't know definitively for fear it snowballs.  For now the decision is 100% out of USF's hands it's in Nova's hands.  Until Nova makes a decision Judy could be hurting USF, and her reputation by in anyway speaking against a state brethren.  Careful in what corner you paint your University.  In our mind we may not want them, but USF could be in major trouble in FL if we openly advocated against them.  We still get a lionshare of our operating capital from the state.

• Content Count:  88

bull martin brings good discussion to table. bullpride's assertions are interesting, but i'm not sure they're truthful. seem like smoke and mirrors to me.

in any case, i would disagree that UCF fb adds little more than Nova. we've got a pretty decent (though admittedly not massive) following that is relatively similar to USF's from a growth/timeline/potential perspective. it stands to reason that a little excitement pushes our attendance numbers from the current 40ish range to the 50ish range, and toward 60 on a 'great day' (i.e. BE champ/BCS game potential). Nova's fb program is truly on a I-AA level in all aspects off the field (<15k avg), and it's tough to envision that changing materially.

i do find it interesting that 'nova is pulling such a good recruiting class... though it certainly makes sense. i'm not sure it's an indicator that they're definitely making the move, as much as coaches have the ace in their pocket to sell the recruit. i'm really convinced that no one truly knows which way the board will go with this when they do make a decision. there have been reports both directions, and it appears the school truly hasn't made up their minds.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

They have been in the the Big East since the year after it was formed.

Many people said UConn was going to do nothing for the conference and they have certainly done pretty well for themselves. Villanova can do the same, especially since they are in a better recruiting area than UConn is.

Archived