• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Randy Edsall leaves UConn, new coach at Maryland

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

Coach Randy Edsall of Connecticut Huskies hired by Maryland Terrapins, sources say

Randy Edsall, who built a fledgling Connecticut program into a Big East champion and BCS bowl team, has been hired by Maryland to succeed Ralph Friedgen, sources told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday.

Edsall, whose team lost to Oklahoma in Saturday night's Tostistos Fiesta Bowl, did not return Sunday to Connecticut on the UConn charter flight.

Instead, said ESPN.com sources, he and his family were to fly from Phoenix to Maryland to meet with Terrapin school officials.

Meanwhile, an ESPN.com source also said there is a possibility of a 6 p.m. team meeting at Maryland.

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach had been considered a leading candidate for the Maryland opening.

Instead, Maryland targeted the well-regarded Edsall, who in his 12 seasons at Storrs led UConn from Football Bowl Subdivision infancy in 2002 to a Big East championship and a BCS bowl in 2010.

Friedgen was forced out of Maryland in December after being named ACC coach of the year. The final game of Friedgen's 10-year head coaching career at his alma mater was a Dec. 29 victory in the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman against East Carolina.

Earlier Sunday, when contacted by text message by ESPN.com, Edsall indicated that an agreement had not yet been finalized with Maryland. Asked if it were "a done deal," Edsall texted, "That is not the case."

E-mail and phone messages from ESPN.com to Edsall's agent Gary O'Hagan were not returned.

UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway was asked Saturday night about the likelihood of Edsall leaving Connecticut for Maryland.

"I think Randy is going to be at the University of Connecticut," he told ESPN.com's Ted Miller. "I think he's here and this is his focus."

Hathaway wouldn't elaborate when asked if Maryland talked with Edsall.

"I focus on who's at our place," Hathaway said. "Randy is at our place. I think that's where we are."

Asked if Edsall would remain at UConn rather than become Maryland's next coach, Hathaway paused and said, "I think Randy Edsall is at the University of Connecticut."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5981463

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

ESPN's Joe Schaad Tweeted this about 15 minutes ago:

<blockquote><i>Maryland has chosen UConn's Randy Edsall as head coach</i></blockquote>

Wow. That was unexpected. Everyone was talking about Leach. Was Edsall negotiating with Maryland while prepping for the Fiesta Bowl? I wonder how UConn fans feel about that.

• Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Two small of a step IMO unless he knows next season is gonna be rebuilding for multiple seasons.  He better be getting 75-100% more $ or I don't understand such a move but I don't live in the man's shoes either.  Like to see the BE retain its coaches.  I'd also think UCONN would redo his contract (raise) after a BCS Bowl visit.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Wow, I thought Leach was a lock for the Maryland job.

• Content Count:  565

Boy, I hope Leach didn't invest too much in Maryland gear. Lidz won't take back hats if it looks like you wore them, and Hot Topic may not take back the custom Terrapin eye patches...

• Content Count:  1,013

You have to respect Edsall for waiting to make his move till after the bowl game.  Although, the result was the same, he did not abandon his team like Kelly did last year. 

That being said, you have to wonder what discussions were taking place before the game.

• Content Count:  4,879

randy will be sorry that he made this move imho.  too lateral w/ no distinct program advantage  74-70 in 12 years will get him fired at terps

Archived