Site News
  • TBP Ticker

Hi Guest,

In our efforts to raise funds for USF Football, the site is giving away a football season full of ad-free surfing at The Bulls Pen.

Would you consider buying a ticket or two to the raffle that will award this to you or a fellow member of the board?

Each ticket purchase goes directly to our effort to raise $10K in "fan money" for the program.  Below is the link:

The Bulls Pen Ad-free Raffle in support of USF Football

Thank you,

Brad Brad
  • Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

• Next:  vs. SMU 9/28 Time TBD

1 2 3 4 Total
    SC State 3 0 6 7 16
    Bulls 7 17 17 14 55

McCloud 16/27, 217 yds, 3 TDs; 12 carries 56 yds, 2 TDs
    Ford 3 carries, 37 yds, TD; 4 recs, 100 yds, TD
  • Members do not see this ad, Register today
Sign in to follow this  
Vega

USF vs UCF: Preview and game thread

Just got home from the game and wanted to add my thoughts.

- I think most of our problems offensively come from Crater.  He is hesitant and indecisive.  He disrupts the flow of play and is too much of a liability for turnovers.  UCF's defense stemmed from Rompza pressuring Crater, and it worked.  God I miss Chris Howard.

- WTF was Heath doing with breaking the press?  It was Crater passing it forward to Robertson, Robertson holding it till the defense reset and then hand it back to Crater, rinse and repeat.  Why did they never push it when the broke the press?  I don't mind Heath playing a slower paced game (provided we make shots necessary to win), but not pushing it on a break really makes me wonder.

- Our team sucks at FTs. Always have and always will.

- There seems to be a distinct split in our team; those who have played with DoJo and those who haven't.  Those who haven't are the ones who are cutting to the basket more an going to the hole.  Poland, Robertson, & Anderson.  The other group tens to want to dish the ball off more and wait for someone to make a play (like they're waiting for DoJo to come back or something).

- I think this team has talent to win, but is very raw right now.  I'm still hopeful that Heath can get the problems worked out in November and December, and the team can stir things up a bit in conference play.

- Rompza is a whiny little punk ***** who needs a hard elbow to the face one of these days.  Watching him complain to the refs on plays he's not even involved in is so annoying, and then his acting was pathetic.

- UCF has a nice little arena there. I hope the SunDome renovations bring it up to par.

Some things I forgot:

- I am so very thankful for USF's policy about alcohol. The drunkenness I witnessed tonight would have made me embarrassed, an I'm glad we don't have the type of scene they do.

- UCF's cheerleaders kept holding up instruction cards for the all the cheers.  I would like to test my theory of putting a question mark on one of the cards and seeing if their fans pull a Ron Burgandy.

- One more thing about their cheers. After a made free throw, the go "<stomp><stomp><clap><clap>WHOOSH! U-C-F!!"  Can you really say Whoosh, when the shot rattles off the iron?

Jason King: South Florida (1-1) – The Bulls may regret giving Stan Heath that contract extension.

Didn't know Heath's job performance was being questioned by the national media already or I would have posted this after the weak win over St Francis.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=All_HwSen3sA9TVZIiZ5UizevbYF?slug=jn-bigeast111710

A couple of points. Rompza is  a polarizing player..hate 'em if he is against you and love him if he plays for your team. Yes, he plays for the school I support so i like him but what you can never take away from him is his hustle and effort on D. When I played ..many decades ago, i always admired the good d players, because D takes efffort...you can never take  a play off.... If you guys had Ropmza, you would have won by 25.

I underdstand the small USF attendance....I am not sure how many fans from O town would travel to USF..but I  am a little surprised at  the 100 total. I would have expected more

I think the challenge at USF is recruiting into that offense. Wow, I cannot imagine any kid wanting to rush to USF to get into a slow down 1/2 court offfense.....at least that is what I observed as I watched...but I was distracted during the game...by people with me. I was simply amazed, that when they would break the UCF pressure, they would once again...stop..and reset. My G^%, go on a break and get 2....push the ball up the court. You don't need to make is  a goal on every in bounds, but if you break the pressure, make the D pay for it.

I do think that USF has some really nice bigs, which UCF really lacks. With a quality BIG, UCF could really go places...but w/o one, we will be hindered.

Good luck the rest of the way. Wish we had more games together. This is a great rivalry. I hooe we get in a BCS football conference so we can compete on a level field in football. Vega, nice analysis...great work on breaking things down. Good luck.

After going to the basketball game last night, I can no longer make fun of UCF as being a worse place than ours.  As we drove on campus the first thing we saw was huge fraternity houses- LOSS there.  They have a great little downtown area close to the athletic district for people to go to before and after the game-LOSS there.  They have their own football stadium on campus- say what you want LOSS there.  They have a brand new 100 million dolllar arena for basketball, which is as nice as I have seen in college hoops- LOSS there.  Their student section was easily 2000 strong and stood and cheered all game- LOSS there.  The real seats cheered just as loud as the students and were full- LOSS there.  Crater shot an airball in the first five minutes of the game, and got heckled the rest of the game, all game.  I could not of been more impressed with the atmosphere on campus, and I hate UCF.  They have overpassed us by far as a cool place.  I see why we lose recruits there.  If I was a kid in high school right now, I would go there instead of USF.

It pains me to write this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now UCF students can go back to caring less about their bball team. I doubt they get another student turnout like this all year.

Lol at them acting like they just won an NCAA tourney game.

Actually, unlike USF...UCF Student Support for basketball has been strong at all of their 3 games:

UCF Attendance:

vs Div II West FL: 5,865

vs Jackson St: 6,333

vs USF: 7,653

While UCF Hoop attendance has gone up every game...UCF student support has been solid...as when the announcers noted that "UCF Student Attendance is HIGHER than USF TOTAL attendance for their previous 2 games".

USF Hoop Attendance this year:

vs USM: 3,689

vs St Francis: 2,722

While UCF has a good season tix base (not great), and only does so-so on walk-up crowds...UCF's attendance probably would be even better this year if UCF's first 3 home games didn't take place on the same exact nights as Orlando Magic sold-out home games of 18,500 plus.

Well they certainly outplayed a Big East team.  About as close as they'll get to an NCAA tourney win this season.

I don't know if they will make the NCAAT this season or not but I tell you thus, under Donnie Jones UCF will be making the NCAAT in the near future. Of course that's if Jones doesn't leave for a better job first. The guy can coach and he can flat out recruit. As a USF fan I can only dream about having that here, especially the recruiting.

Yeah...not sure UCF will make the NCAA or even the NIT this year...but UCF should have a good shot at the CBI (or whatever that other tourn is called).

Next year though UCF will have a lot more talent and athletic ability...as Jones is bring in a solid UCF Recruiting Class...(see link below):

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2116

Whats even more impressive...is that class doesn't include (on paper), former Top 100 player Travis Spurlock from UVA...or big man Crittle from Oregon...both of which are sitting out this year for transferring. (Also, Jeff Jordan from Illinois is sitting out...and while he is a good defender, who won't have the same impact as Spurlock or Crittle).

Donnie Jones is and always has been a "recruiting machine"...as the only question was his gameday coaching ability...which still might even be somewhat unknown/unproven so early in his HC career.

UCF just needs to survive/grow during this season...which should lay the groundwork for next year's team...and with increased fan support and fun atmospheres at games...that makes a huge impression during game visits by potential recruits.

Jason King: South Florida (1-1) – The Bulls may regret giving Stan Heath that contract extension.

Didn't know Heath's job performance was being questioned by the national media already or I would have posted this after the weak win over St Francis.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=All_HwSen3sA9TVZIiZ5UizevbYF?slug=jn-bigeast111710

Vega, seriously, give it a ******* break. He's NOT going anywhere for a minimum of two years ... and calling some dweeb on Rivals posting a one liner "being questioned by the national media" is ridiculous. I'll repeat what I said elsewhere: It does absolutely no good to entertain these thoughts right now. We're coming off our best year in a decade or longer ... Stan's contract just got extended through 2015 ... Basketball players tend to be content to just transfer rather than try to get their coach fired. Stan's the Man for a while and these Fantasy Island type scenarios do nothing but stir up the unwashed masses.

You predicted they'd lose to UCF by 20, they only lost by 6. I realize this must be the first you've been wrong, ever, but don't take it out on Stan just because he did better than you thought he would ...  ;)

Thanks for the nice comments...

Now can you send those comments to 100,000 plus UCF Alumni that choose to IGNORE everything that UCF has become today?

Even though I get back to campus quite often...I am still somewhat amazed as to what UCF has become today...as much if not all of that credit as to go to UCF Prez Dr Hitt...as he has really transformed UCF from a commuter school with sand parking lots in the early 90's when he took over...to what it has become today.

I wish our student would come out to support the team the way UCF's student body does for basketball.