• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Search For QB Yields Interesting Prospects

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Search For QB Yields Interesting Prospects

BRETT MCMURPHY

Published: Jan 6, 2005

For the past two seasons, South Florida's search for a replacement for QB Marquel Blackwell has been like the quest for the Holy Grail.

And this year is no different. However, this season the Bulls have some intriguing possibilities, including Georgia Tech transfer Patrick Carter, of Lakewood, and Reserve (La.) East St. John's Ryan Perrilloux, rated the nation's No. 1 high school quarterback.

USF is among several schools Carter is considering.

``I'd love to play for Coach [Jim] Leavitt,'' Carter said. ``He was the first coach I contacted [after leaving Tech]. He told me I would have to compete with some great athletes [at USF], but said the best players will play. That's all I want.''

Carter also is considering several other schools and said he will not make a decision until after National Signing Day to get an idea what schools are deep at quarterback.

A redshirt freshman, Carter was Tech's leading punt returner (8.4 yard average). He will have to sit out the 2005 season and will have two years of eligibility remaining. At Lakewood, he was rated among the nation's top 20 QB recruits.

Perrilloux, rated the nation's top QB by at least two recruiting services, told The Times- Picayune of New Orleans he's considering taking an official visit to USF. Perrilloux verbally committed to Texas, but may be wavering after UT assistant Michael Haywood, instrumental in Perrilloux's recruitment, recently was named offensive coordinator at Notre Dame.

``If Ryan wants to change his mind, that's fine,`` Phillip Breaux, Perrilloux's stepfather told The Times-Picayune. ``He doesn't owe [Texas coach] Mack Brown a thing.``

The Bulls also have a commitment from Lake Gibson's Matt Grothe, the Class 4A Player of the Year; Auburn transfer Courtney Denson, a SuperPrep All-American, will be eligible this fall after sitting out last season. Starter Pat Julmiste also returns.

Whoever emerges at quarterback could find the return of WRs Darren Haliburton and Brian Fisher. Both players, dismissed from the team for separate legal issues, are in the process of returning this spring.

``I'm very fortunate to get another chance,`` Haliburton said. ``Coach Leavitt said one more mistake and I'm off the team. I was praying for another opportunity. It was tough on me not being able to play. I'm so eager I can't tell you. I can't wait to put the pads back on.``

Haliburton, who was charged with domestic violence in September 2003 and trespassing last January, served a year probation and ``everything's squared away.'' Haliburton (6-foot-3, 205 pounds) signed with Rutgers in 2002, but left after two weeks and transferred to USF. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

Fisher, who had his delinquent child support debt erased by the Escambia County Circuit Court, said he completed his degree at Hillsborough Community College and is trying to get enrolled at USF.

If successful, USF will have to petition the NCAA to check on Fisher's eligibility after playing on a private club team.

ODDS AND ENDS: USF's football banquet is Jan. 15 at Busch Gardens at 6 p.m. Tickets are $20 and it's open to USF fans. For information, call (813) 974-7171. ... Freshman OL Shadie Jones has left the program and will transfer to West Alabama. Also, junior WR Joe Bain won't play next season because of injuries. ... Freshmen LBs Brouce Mompremier and C.J. Hunnicutt and DE Josh Julmiste will return this spring after theft charges were dropped against the trio in November ... Former Florida QB Justin Midgett, who was interested in transferring to USF but wasn't offered a scholarship, transferred to Division I-AA Eastern Illinois.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBWA2ZAM3E.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,577
  • Days Won:  29

Great Info across the board. Hoping for great QB play in 2005.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

We can always count on Howie for the latest scoop, thanks.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

>> Whoever emerges at quarterback could find

>> the return of WRs Darren Haliburton and

>> Brian Fisher. Both players, dismissed from

>> the team for separate legal issues, are in

>> the process of returning this spring.  

WHAT??

Is this true??

NAM37

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  243

We can always count on Howie for the latest scoop, thanks.

Um, let's give props to Brett since he actually did the legwork.

(Did Metro "Mr. I Love the St. Pete Times" actually say something good about the Trib?)

Yes

I wasn't looking for any props, and I also commend Brett for his reporting, as well as Greg Auman on his USF articles.

I just post what I find on the Net generally.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  382

What happened to Joe Bain?

What happened to Joe Bain?

One too many injuries which he couldn't recover from, so he left the team. I believe that was in a SPT article written by Greg the other day.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Fisher, who had his delinquent child support debt erased by the Escambia County Circuit Court, said he completed his degree at Hillsborough Community College and is trying to get enrolled at USF.

If successful, USF will have to petition the NCAA to check on Fisher's eligibility after playing on a private club team.

If this actually happens, it will be like an added bonus but I'm not looking for Fisher to return.

As to Patrick Carter it was the Orlando Sentinel which first reported that he was transferring on 12/16, but they only mentioned UCF as one of his possibilities.

Former Georgia Tech quarterback Patrick Carter will transfer, Tech officials confirmed, and UCF is among the schools he is considering. Carter played at St. Petersburg's Lakewood High.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sptmoffett17121704dec17,1,2995147.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

I didn't mention it at the time because USF was not named.

As far as Ryan Perrilloux is concerned, his interest in USF has been noted in several places on the recruiting board here over the last week.

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Prospects;action=display;num=1104637518