• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Right now RayJay is a "draw" for fans and other teams.

We probably wouldn't be getting a 1-1 with NC if it wasn't for playing in RayJay. THAT is what they liked about us, aside from being a Florida school.

As USF establishes itself as a "legitimate" BCS team over the next several years, and we start drawing 40-5oK fans on a regular basis, then that would be the time to really have a discussion about building an on campus stadium before 2020.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

I try not to look at UCF...I pay as little attention to them as I can.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I am with Howie....wait a few years into the BE when we start drawing routine crowds of 40-50K AND we we start generating some big time dollars for this program, THEN we can start seriously talking on-campus stadium. Who know, maybe in 4 years we can represent the BE in the BCS game which I believe means a pretty substantial pay day. Our coached were just working out of trailors last year.....our pockets are not that deep yet.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  382

Begin USF campus stadium thread...........ready, set, go!

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

$40 Million is the same figure FAU used when speaking about building a stadium on campus for them.  If I remember correctly UCONN just built a stadium on campus and it cost them $90 million I do not remember how big it was though.  I think USF would need almost $200 million to build a nice stadium on campus and have the seating capacity we would want.

FAU's figure was much higher than that. Unless a more modest proposal has surfaced recently, they were talking about a 40,000-seat multisports indoor facility a la the Carrier Dome.

As for UConn, their stadium is not on-campus (in fact, it's kinda far from campus) and a lot of public funding went into it.

I think this "stadium plan" is an attempt for UCF to exercise leverage in its dealings with the Citrus Bowl. President Hitt's estimates in the UCF news article are simply not realistic. Compare the cost and timeline estimates to what it really took to build Rentschler Field.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

ftu/ou/oc will not get a stadium before they get a win

never

man the ftu/ou/oc fans are stupid and gulliable

40 million cannot build anytype of  div 1 college stadium

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  2

GarySJ:

UConn's Rentschler Field is not a good point of reference.  That stadium is built below ground, as many up north are.  That has to be significantly more expensive than raising an above ground stadium.

A better point of reference is Papa John stadium, which cost $63 million.  That $63 million included removal and remediation costs on the site, which was an old railyard, a brand new, two story football facility building, housing weight training, offices, etc., an airconditioned banquet and meeting facility which runs the length of the stadium, tucked under the stands on one side, and 100% chairback seats.  If you peel the costs associated with all of that, which we will not be building, $45 million does not seem that unrealistic.  The football facility building could easily account for $10 million, and the air conditioned banquet facility must be a fair amount.

One thing I can assure you of, this plan is NOT a ploy to seek leverage with the City of Orlando.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

CitroKnight,

You also have to take into account that UL's stadium was built a few years back. Today, it would cost UL more $$$ to build that nice little stadium. If you are going to build a nice little stadium that holds 40K then both UCONN and UL's are good stadiums to model after. I wish UCF luck and really hope they you get it done. Why you ask?? Because it would pretty much put more pressure on USF to get an on-campus stadium too. LOL. So I believe it is good for USF that UCF is planning an on-campus stadium because it will give USF some good ideas.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I agree with Howie, while I would love to see us build our own stadium in the future.  However, playing at Raymond James is a BIG selling point to protential recruits, and I think has helped us more than we may ever know.  Sure now we have the athletic facility to show off, and the move to the big east is huge, but there was a time that Ray Jay was the biggest selling point to coming to USF, and I believe it is still a big factor for many recruits.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I agree that RayJay is a good recruiting tool as would be an on-campus stadium, possibly, but let's not forget that the most successful program in Florida uses an off-campus stadium that is a dump .....