• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls run ads touting basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Colleges

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published January 5, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - With its basketball teams opening their Conference USA schedules this week, USF has stepped up its promotion effort with its first radio and television advertising campaign in seven years.

"Now it's basketball season, and it's the time to do it," said Tom Veit, associate athletic director for marketing and business development. "It's a big shift for us, the first time since I've been here that we've been able to put some resources into promotion. (Athletic director) Doug ( Woolard) has a serious commitment to marketing."

Radio ads started running Monday on WDAE-AM 620 and cable TV spots on Bright House Networks start running today during programing on ESPN and USA. The advertising will cost USF about $80,000, and much of that has come from improved revenues from logo and licensing sales. Woolard said it was a priority to put that money back into promoting the Bulls.

"People come to sporting events for three reasons," Woolard said. "First, you have to have a good product, and second, you need a good venue for people to enjoy that product. But third, you have to get the message out to people about that product. Both teams have gotten off to good starts and I hope people will start participating with those teams in better fashion."

Robert McCullum's men are off to a 7-4 start and have matched last season's win total, and Jose Fernandez's women are on pace at 10-4 to break the school record of 16 wins and challenge for their first NCAA Tournament berth. What has been missing is the crowds to match that on-court improvement.

The men's team, averaging 2,150 fans in four home games, has the second-lowest attendance in C-USA, with only Tulane lower, and the women's team, averaging 335, has totaled one more fan than last-place Saint Louis.

There are more promotions on the way. The men's home game Feb. 5 against Tulane will celebrate the 15th anniversary of USF's first NCAA Tournament team, with throwback ticket prices and a reunion of the 1990 Bulls.

END OF THE ROAD: Injuries have limited Pasco grad Joe Bain, and now they're ending his college football playing days a year early.

Bain, who missed the final five games of his junior season with a pelvis injury, said he isn't returning for the spring semester.

"Even now, when I try to run, it's difficult," said Bain, who has had swelling between his pelvic bones since USF's loss to Army in October. "It's more than that, though. I had four surgeries on my knee and don't have any cartilage left there, and I had surgery on my shoulder (in 2003) as well. It's going to be tough not to play anymore, but I'll keep in touch with the guys."

Bain totaled 17 catches for 321 yards and two touchdowns and was tied for the team lead in receiving yards before his injury.

DEAN LEAVITT?: The quick turnover of football coaches will give Jim Leavitt a surprising title when the Bulls join the Big East this fall: He will be the longest-tenured coach in the conference, entering his ninth season with the Bulls.

Of the other seven coaches, only Connecticut's Randy Edsall has been at his post longer than four seasons, with Pittsburgh and Syracuse breaking in new coaches this fall. Everybody else still has his original recruiting class.

THIS AND THAT: Look for familiar former Bulls in the NFL transactions as teams reload their offseason rosters with free agents. Former USF receiver Huey Whittaker, who was with the Steelers in the preseason, signed with the Jaguars on Tuesday.

... The women's basketball team had hoped to get center Sharon Cambridge back from an ankle injury Sunday against Florida, but she reaggravated it in practice Saturday and could be headed for a medical redshirt.

Times staff writer Greg Auman covers USF athletics. Reach him at 813 226-3346 or auman@sptimes.com

[Last modified January 5, 2005, 00:40:25]

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/05/Sports/Bulls_run_ads_touting.shtml

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I heard a couple of these spots while listening to WDAE the past few days. Nice to see us get some exposure on the Bay Area's only sports radio station. Looks like Woolard continues to get it. Keep the promotions coming.

Guest BasketBull.

This is why I had asked about our AD and St. Louis in a previous post: Basketball needs USF's commitment if it's to get back on its feet.

It's a great start.

Next, give away free stuff at the Dome!

Can't we get a deal with Taco Bell or some other place to give away some kind of free food when the Bulls win at home (with a USF ticket stub)?

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Can't we get a deal with Taco Bell or some other place to give away some kind of free food when the Bulls win at home (with a USF ticket stub)?

We might be able to do that with Chick-fil as they give out coupons for free food at certain USF games. Maybe we can have some Tie-in promotions in THEIR stores in Tampa.

HOPS was also involved with putting on the USF spring game and they had $5 off coupons printed on the USF spring game roster. Problem was the roster was double sided and the coupon wasn't perforated, so when you ripped it off you destroyed the roster on the other side. They need to fix that up by putting it on the bottom of the page, and have other such promotions for USF sports throughout the year..

Maybe Publix could also work with USF more and have a free or reduced coupon on their store flyers for particular USF men's/women's Basketball games.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

exciting

Guest bullman33

$80,000???  Sounds like a waste of money to me.  They should save the advertising money for next year and spend $160,000.  There is little interest in the bball team this year, but should increase with some success and entry into the BE.  We certainly won't get $80,000 back in increased ticket sales.  Maybe an extra $5,000 tops.  

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Fan interest is something that builds slowly, over time. I'm glad to see that they're not wasting this opportunity to get the message out to potential fans. It's smarter to spread the ad campaign over a longer period of time. If the Bulls start to do well further down the road, fans will already have an awareness and will be more likely to start following the team.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published January 5, 2005

There are more promotions on the way. The men's home game Feb. 5 against Tulane will celebrate the 15th anniversary of USF's first NCAA Tournament team, with throwback ticket prices and a reunion of the 1990 Bulls.

Makes me wonder about Hakim Shahid...I haven't heard an update in a long time on his condition.  

Has there been any word on which 1989-90 players plan to attend this?  Maybe it's a bit early to ask, but I would assume we would have secured some broad participation before announcing the promotion.

1989-90 Squad:

Radenko Dobras

Hakim Shahid

Fred Lewis

Marvin Taylor

Tony Armstrong

Bobby Russell

Andre Crenshaw

Chris Risey

Jay Smith

Maurice Webster

Steve Williams (?)

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

How much were tickets back in 1990?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  682
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Days Won:  6

How much were tickets back in 1990?

I remember that tickets were $8 for a long time - probably early to mid 90's.  I would guess in 1990 tickets were $5.