• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Bulls hope to keep Orange streak alive

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

72125_1008southflorida-syracuse.jpg

By ADAM ADKINS

aadkins@tampatrib.com

When the Bulls begin Big East Conference play today at noon at Raymond James Stadium, however, a repeat from the previous era would be welcomed.

USF hosts Syracuse, a team the Bulls have owned since joining the conference in 2005. South Florida has not lost to the Orange in five previous meetings and won those games by an average of 24 points.

"This team has really dominated us," said second-year Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, whose team lost 34-20 to the Bulls at home last season, its slimmest margin of defeat in the series.

That fact has not been lost on either team.

The Bulls were given a reminder before Wednesday's practice, when Holtz shared with them a press clipping that included Syracuse senior players commenting on how special it would be to end the streak this year.

"We see that they're talking over there. They're saying that they want to win, that they want to beat South Florida before they're done in their school, so we know they're coming," Bulls defensive lineman David Bedford said. "We know they're coming and it's going to be like them against the world and everything, but we want to keep it going."

Besides, USF has its own first-time goal in mind this season - winning a Big East crown. It's one the Orange stand in the way of, so getting off on the right foot in that quest today is something the Bulls certainly want.

"We try to stay ahead of the chains on offense, and you want to stay ahead of the chains in the games, especially in the conference," Bulls quarterback B.J. Daniels said. "To start off 1-0 means a lot to us as far as momentum and just an extra confidence booster going into the rest of the season."

Though the series history has been one-sided, the Bulls, who put together their most complete game of the season in last week's win against Florida Atlantic, are expecting a much stiffer challenge this year from the Orange.

"This is a good team, not like the Syracuse teams we've seen in the past. They're much more experienced," Bulls receiver Dontavia Bogan said. "It's going to be a good game for us to be able to see where we're at in the conference and to set the tone for the rest of the way."

The thing to remember, Holtz pointed out, is that this is just the beginning of the conference race. So even though the Bulls want to start conference play on a positive note, it's also important not to put too much emphasis on this game.

"I think it's important, but I don't think who loses it is out of the race. It is just the first game," Holtz said. "I think how we respond to this game, in a win or loss, is going to be more important than how we play the game itself.

"Now, given my druthers," Holtz continued, "I'd much rather be responding to a win than a loss after this week."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/oct/09/sp-bulls-hope-to-keep-orange-streak-alive/sports-colleges-bulls/

Archived