• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

grothe was better than bj

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe= Big East total yardage leader...no contest...BJ won't be starting much longer so this is not a problem. Holtz doesn't like BJ because he throws into double and tripple coverage even in practice.

IDC if he was the total yardage leader the guy never matured as a QB after 3 1/2 years as a starter. Daniels is much more gifted and i doubt Holtz will give up on such a special athlete after 3 frigging games in a brand new more complicated system.

BJ is very gifted no doubt, he is oozing talent, but going back to what deters said, BJ has had plenty of time (2 years now) to learn not to force a throw into double and triple coverage, this is not high school ball... its basically his year to **** or get off the pot.

Now don't take this as me attacking BJ... I'm not doing that, I like him and hope that he succeeds and lives up to his full potential and gets better this season at passing accuracy and judgment... all I'm saying that BJ needs to step up this season or he had better be ready to step aside next season.

:2cents

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

BJ is very gifted no doubt, he is oozing talent, but going back to what deters said, BJ has had plenty of time (2 years now) to learn not to force a throw into double and triple coverage, this is not high school ball... its basically his year to **** or get off the pot.

Now don't take this as me attacking BJ... I'm not doing that, I like him and hope that he succeeds and lives up to his full potential and gets better this season at passing accuracy and judgment... all I'm saying that BJ needs to step up this season or he had better be ready to step aside next season.

:2cents

+1

I agree completely with everything said.  Please get much better BJ, everyone wants and needs you to succeed!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

at this stage in his developement

Agree that Grothe was better.

• Content Count:  7,201

too eary to say.  grothe collapsed second half of season twice.  bj once.  but bj hasnt played a full season yet.  this weekend would be like his first game of his second year as a starter.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

too eary to say.  grothe collapsed second half of season twice.  bj once.  but bj hasnt played a full season yet.  this weekend would be like his first game of his second year as a starter.

Grothe collapsed? Seriously? Because the OL was like swiss cheese against RU every year? In 2007, Grothe had 1 bad game that I can recall. The Cincy game was terrible, however, Grothe didn't get worse as the game went on (see BJ vs UF), he actually threw the game winner at the end and it was dropped in the endzone. Credit Jenks with getting us back in with a kickoff return, but Grothe got us down the field and in position to score.

2008, he had a few bad games, but it was clearly more obvious that Gregory was dead set on making him 120% of our offense. He threw 2 picks late against UCF in a situation where they had to bring the house, no matter what. GG didn't leave a RB in the back field to block, he left MG hung out to dry.

At this point, MG was better than BJ is. BJ does have a higher ceiling, no doubt. What I liked about Grothe that I don't really see in BJ is that he was a winner. He made plays at the most important times. When the game was on the line, he played his best. I am not sure if BJ has that in him. I think he can be very good, but, Grothe had a crazy ability to get a win just because he willed it. He never seemed to get tired at the end of games.

Having said all of that, I think Grothe is out of eligibility. BJ is our QB. I think if he is allowed to mature with a single offensive coordinator for the rest of his career, he'll really learn the offense, learn his strengths and weaknesses, and be something special for the next two years. It seems like he's having a difficult time getting there this season, but I still have faith that he can lead us to a BE championship...even this year actually if we can get some great play from the defense and running game.

to clarify.  usf collapsed the second half of the season.  grothe was at the helm in 07 and 08.  BJ in 09.  The qb cannot have the accolades but not the criticism.  Lets be real here folks.

• Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  2

In Grothe's soph season he started the season with the following guys to throw to...Carlton Mitchell, Jesse Hester, Taurus Johnson, Cedric Hill, Amarri Jackson, Marcus Edwards, Dontavia Bogan and AJ Love.  BJ needs to improve, but Matt had a bunch of playmaking receivers that year.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

In Grothe's soph season he started the season with the following guys to throw to...Carlton Mitchell, Jesse Hester, Taurus Johnson, Cedric Hill, Amarri Jackson, Marcus Edwards, Dontavia Bogan and AJ Love.  BJ needs to improve, but Matt had a bunch of playmaking receivers that year.

It's hard to just throw names out and act like Grothe had a ton of help in the passing game. In 3 years, the guys BJ is throwing to may sound like great names to throw out. Especially if you include Bogan, Griffin, and Love, without qualifying that they all missed some time. With those three, say Landi and Bravo-Brown or Knowles, or Shields really step up over the next couple of years, I'd be pretty impressed with the list, but it doesn't say anything about who he is throwing to today, or in the UF game that we lost for instance.

TJ missed 2 games that year, Jackson missed 3-4 I think (both missed games during the "collapse", as well as some key OL guys). If Edwards was a playmaker, color me shocked. Bogan was a true freshman. Hill was a decent TE, but of Grothe's 44 picks, I'd say 6-8 probably bounced off of Hill's shoulder pads. I don't recall Love getting much action (I looked it up, 8 catches). Mitchell was a play maker, but a RS frosh and far from the player he was last year for us.

Just to throw something out... during the Cincy game, TJ and Jackson were out. Courtney Denson was on the field a lot, and he and MG were clearly not on the same page. 2-3 of Grothe's picks were intended for Denson, it's possible that he ran the wrong routes a couple of times.

It makes a huge difference when the guys you trust aren't on the field. Hopefully everyone gets back and BJ gets rolling and we wrap up our first Big East championship on the heals of our new found run game and a solid air attack when needed.

no question all bets are off with our WR situation.

Archived