• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Villanova officially invited to join Big East....

vm7118

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

we should have kicked out villanova from the Big East, replaced them with Temple.. it would be the best of both worlds:  Big public university in Big TV market

Kick out a member who has been with the league since its second year of existence? No chance.

Kick DePaul out and then you have something.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

we should have kicked out villanova from the Big East, replaced them with Temple.. it would be the best of both worlds:  Big public university in Big TV market

Kick out a member who has been with the league since its second year of existence? No chance.

Kick DePaul out and then you have something.

While I typically don't agree with the Bleacher Report I agree with this article... basically the author is saying that the Big East is pinning its entire future on an FCS school that does not want and can't afford to make the leap to FBS / BCS football.

We should had invited Memphis and Nova... and kicked out DePaul or Marquette.

Oops here is the link and the part of the article I agree with...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/468248-big-east-takes-giant-misstep-with-villanova-invite

And the Big East felt compelled to re-invite Villanova to join the league as a football member.

Which is more embarrassing?  The Big East pinning its hope for survival on the admission of an FCS team, or Villanova answering, “Yes, we heard you the first time you asked.â€

Just like George Costanza telling his soon to be ex-girlfriend “I love you,†and getting a similar reply to the one received by the Big East; that’s a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there....

My advice to the Big East is quite simple.  Focus on putting a better product on the football field.  Do not allow a private FCS school from suburban Philadelphia to hold your football future dangling

Bleacher report is about as reputable as your claim that our attendance for the Pitt game a couple of years ago would be so adversely affected because of Howl O Scream.

Bleacher report is about as reputable as your claim that our attendance for the Pitt game a couple of years ago would be so adversely affected because of Howl O Scream.

Hey that was double beer night  ;)

While double beer night is quite tempting, it still doesn't trump going to a football game.

While double beer night is quite tempting, it still doesn't trump going to a football game.

Well I was half right... the student section was thinned out for that game... HOS employs between 500 and 700 USF students each season. My last year working with them they employed well over a 1,000.

• Content Count:  4,074

The Big East already kicked Temple out of the football conference. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  3,095
  • Days Won:  1

A friend of mine who is a Nova alum got this in an email:

Dear Villanova Alumni:

Frequently I have shared news regarding matters of importance to the University and its alumni.

As such, I am writing to inform you of some recent conversations that have taken place regarding the Villanova Football program and its relationship with the Big East Conference. As you know, the program currently competes in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), formerly known as Division I-AA. The student-athletes, coaches, and administrators are excellent representatives of the University and have established a winning tradition that culminated with a national championship last year.

The landscape of college athletics continues to face dramatic changes and there has been a

great deal of speculation over the past few months regarding conference realignments nationwide. The Big East Conference has not been immune to such speculation, and Villanova's position regarding football has been frequently discussed on the internet, in the media, and among fans around the country.

Recently, the Big East officially informed us that its football schools were interested in adding Villanova as a football member of the Conference. We currently compete in the Big East in all

other varsity sports; however, joining the Conference as a football member would require that

the program move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), formerly known as Division I-A.

This would represent a significant change for the University and our Athletic Department.

As part of the University's Strategic Planning process, we have been studying our athletic programs, including assessing possible options for the football program. Given the current situation, the Board of Trustees' leadership and the President's Cabinet have decided that the most prudent course of action is to expedite our timeframe and embark upon an in-depth and thorough evaluation of the opportunity presented by the Big East. This is a complicated issue with numerous, multi-dimensional factors that come into play, and it is important that we investigate scenarios related to making - or not making - such a move.

More than likely, you will read or hear speculation as we conduct this assessment. I ask you to consider it just that - speculation. As we undertake this evaluation, I can assure you that a decision will be made only after the Board of Trustees conducts a careful and complete analysis. We will do what's right for Villanova and will not jeopardize our community-wide commitment to meeting the University's strategic objectives.

I will keep the Villanova community updated as we move forward through this process.

Archived