• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BJ Daniels Representing USF at Media Day

USF_Grouper

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I am certainly well on-board the Skip Holtz bandwagon, and I promise not to make a thread about every little thing Skip does differently from Leavitt, but unless my memory is failing me one of the traditions I really liked about Jim was that it didn't matter how big a contributor you were, you didn't get to go to media day unless you were a senior.  I believe Matt only got to go his senior year, despite carrying the team the two years prior. 

A little disappointed we didn't hang on to that tradition, but no doubt BJ will do us proud. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I am certainly well on-board the Skip Holtz bandwagon, and I promise not to make a thread about every little thing Skip does differently from Leavitt, but unless my memory is failing me one of the traditions I really liked about Jim was that it didn't matter how big a contributor you were, you didn't get to go to media day unless you were a senior.  I believe Matt only got to go his senior year, despite carrying the team the two years prior. 

A little disappointed we didn't hang on to that tradition, but no doubt BJ will do us proud. 

Yes, Leavitt only brought seniors, even if that was NOT helpful to the media. I like the fact that B J is going since his presence will attract more press coverage for USF. As much as I liked Leavitt, he was a little bit too set in his ways for his own good.

• Content Count:  21,439
  • Days Won:  10

It is a PR campaign so bring the best, bring who they want to see.

• Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

Pretty sure Sampson Genus is there also with BJ if I remember hearing correctly, so you might want to show him so love also.

Pretty sure Sampson Genus is there also with BJ if I remember hearing correctly, so you might want to show him so love also.

Sampson is there to rep USF in the lobster eating contest.  ;)

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

He is a senior though, right?  I was just pointing out the difference in styles.  As Leavitt was our only coach, some of his oddities might be confused with traditions.  Most teams bring whomever the media most wants to talk to in order to drum up coverage, as others have pointed out.

• Content Count:  693

Yeah Genus is a senior, my bad though, thought you had just left him off the list. Hope he wins the lobster eat off.

• Content Count:  4,016

bringing seniors was a good tradition...it's not like we don't have other seniors on the roster that deserve some recongition outside of Tampa-- Sabbath Joseph, Dontavia Bogans, McClain, Plancher, Sims, Marshall...etc.  BJ is going to get PLENTY of media attention throughout the season as our QB and is the undisputed leader of the offense, sometimes it's nice to recognize others as leaders too.

Let's not act like everything we did in the past was wrong.  Leavitt had some traditions that had real sound reasoning behind it and this was one of them.  He liked recognizing seniors that were perhaps not going to be media darlings through the year but were going to be counted on for big seasons.  It was a good idea, and it always worked to our advantage like a reward and a confidence booster for the visitors.  Skip has his reasons, and it's his team and program but I am with grouper too that it would have been nice if a guy like McClain, Joseph, or Bogans got to make the trek. 

bringing seniors was a good tradition...it's not like we don't have other seniors on the roster that deserve some recongition outside of Tampa-- Sabbath Joseph, Dontavia Bogans, McClain, Plancher, Sims, Marshall...etc.  BJ is going to get PLENTY of media attention throughout the season as our QB and is the undisputed leader of the offense, sometimes it's nice to recognize others as leaders too.

Let's not act like everything we did in the past was wrong.  Leavitt had some traditions that had real sound reasoning behind it and this was one of them.  He liked recognizing seniors that were perhaps not going to be media darlings through the year but were going to be counted on for big seasons.  It was a good idea, and it always worked to our advantage like a reward and a confidence booster for the visitors.  Skip has his reasons, and it's his team and program but I am with grouper too that it would have been nice if a guy like McClain, Joseph, or Bogans got to make the trek. 

I don't think anybody prevented Holtz from taking MORE players with him. We have only TWO. Pitt has FIVE. I wasn't surprised he took Daniels, but I was surprised that he didn't take some other people, like McClain or Bogan, as well.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

jim leavitt also played senior running backs regardless of talent or ability to help the team establish any sort of running game.

Archived