• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF co-ed cheerleaders need your support!

alumniBull87

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Days Won:  0

The USF co-ed cheerleading squad for the school was dissolved in the spring of this year.  USF had a long history with co-ed cheerleading, you now have just an all-girl squad, like high schools have. College is known for co-ed cheerleading, if you are trying to shed the 'commuter' school image, this was a bad move, schools like UF, Miami, FSU and even UCF have & promote their notable co-ed cheerleading squads (the majority of schools do not even have all-girl squads).  This co-ed squad was a great group of students that have supported the school in many ways, alumni appearances, fan fest events, fundraising (all on their own time-no compensation), but most importantly school spirit.  During try-outs in the spring of 2010, the co-ed squad was told they would be eliminated and some of the girls were told they could switch over and be on the ‘girl’ squad. Their coach (Marcus) was fired (they loved him as a coach and no one knows why he was fired), many of these kids thought he would be replaced over the summer & they would be 'called' back to get ready for the 2010 football season but this did not happen.  The 2 coaches they have now threaten the kids ‘not to go over their heads’ to complain and ‘don’t have their parents get involved’, but this is wrong (we have enough of a media problem with a coach issue?)  The athletics department has been aware of all of this and nothing was done over the summer, there is now not enough time to put this squad back together in time for football season, so it looks like you will not have the tradition of the USF flags being run on the field by the guys during the games (always on T.V. following touchdowns), the great stunts of the guys lifting their girl partners up to get the crowd fired up, the use of the megaphones, the guys holding the platform on their shoulders and doing ‘point’ push-ups (which the student section loves).  These students feel very let down by their school, some have left to cheer for other schools, taking with them a lot of revenue from tuition and ticket sales and family members support (if you figure 10 to 15 family members/friends for each student~~it is significant), some were forced to quit cheerleading (when they did not want to).  We the families will not be renewing our season tickets, and will provide no future support to the school, unless our kids are invited back, the original squad from last year. I have read on numerous times in the newspapers that Judy Genshaft is ‘big’ on school spirit, even buying USF t-shirts for students walking around campus with other schools logo’s on them, so much for supporting her own cheerleaders.

Now we realize that the existing coaches only seem to care about the all-girl squad (spending a large amount of fundraised money on brand new uniforms & fees for them to compete at the competition in Orlando (even though the co-ed competition is the marquis event on Sat. evening), taking just them to the Alabama camp (going on right now), shooting a calendar this year with just the girl squad as there is currently no co-ed squad, sending mostly all-girls members to away games (good luck noticing them in the Swamp).

We realize there is a conflict on this board (Eric Soncrant is the husband of one of the remaining 2 coaches) so we feel his comments on this matter would be a bit biased.

We would appreciate it if you would e-mail or call on behalf of these kids that were treated this way:

Ayo Taylor-Dixon  813-974-0521

ayo@admin.usf.edu

(or anyone else at USF you may know)

tell him that the squad from last year should be invited back (not a new squad out of spite for speaking up) and some fairness should be imparted between the 2 squads, not pitting them against each other.

some photo’s:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52275176@N05/

Thank you

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

We realize there is a conflict on this board (Eric Soncrant is the husband of one of the remaining 2 coaches) so we feel his comments on this matter would be a bit biased.

And yours aren't?

Well we are speaking on behalf of these kids--your USF cheerleaders--who would he be speaking on behalf of??

• Content Count:  1,991

There is the side you told, the other side to the story and I am sure the truth lies in between, so if we are told the truth that would be great.....

• Content Count:  151

No dudes...Awesome! Works for me....Chicks can still do all that stuff like run flaggs and hold the push up platform (USF just has to borrow some diesel ones to be grenade launchers for a game or two. You know this post was bound to happen.

Well we are speaking on behalf of these kids--your USF cheerleaders--who would he be speaking on behalf of??

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word biased.

Jewbull-check the facts:

the co-ed coach was fired

there is not a co-ed squad any longer

the girl squad received new uniforms in Jan 2010-just for 1 competition

the girl squad was selected for most away games in 09

gobulls83-thanks for the English lesson

Wow-thanks for the support-you above need to grow up-most male cheerleaders are injured ex-football players

You don't seem to be winning over many supporters here.

Perhaps if you acknowledged that your story is inherently one-sided, you would be a bit more sympathetic. Frankly, I find the story as you've told it to be hard to believe. If it really DID go down the way you are implying, perhaps you should be talking to a lawyer about investigating this mysterious firing rather than trading insults with anonymous message board posters.

Out of the 83 people who have read this so far, I guess 3 homophobes is not bad

Thank you to those who can simply send an e-mail to support these kids from last year

Archived