• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New York Times Blog: "Five and Five -- No 49, South Florida

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,561
  • Days Won:  13

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  7,086
  • Days Won:  12

pretty accurate.

im very worried about the secondary

and our schedule

but i know theres talent there

and you gotta believe holtz has the skill to make this season successful

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

From that blog:

By the Big East’s standards, a difficult non-conference schedule. South Florida will travel to both Florida and Miami (Fla.). The Bulls open conference play with road games against West Virginia and Cincinnati.

By the Big East's standards? In what conference do teams regularly play two opponents out-of-conference the caliber of Miami and Florida? Both on the road no less? The Sun Belt or some FCS conference maybe, but that's hardly the same thing.

The average quality of out-of-conference opponents gets dragged down in the Big East because of the fifth game, but overall I think the Big East has been perhaps the most ambitious conference in terms of scheduling. It certainly holds its own. This year, in addition to USF's big two games, we will see Pitt play Utah, Notre Dame and Miami, with the first two of those on the road. Last year, Syracuse played Penn State, Minnesota and Northwestern. USF played Miami and Florida State. There are also soft schedules, for sure (I'm looking at you, Rutgers), but those also exist in every conference.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,145
  • Days Won:  429

There are also soft schedules, for sure (I'm looking at you, Rutgers), but those also exist in every conference.

Check where the blog came from and there's your reason they have a tainted view of the BE ooc scheds .... Plus, the NYT is not known to be on the cutting edge when it comes to college football anyway.

• Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

1. Agree 100%, although I think BJ is much more prepared this time around and will be fine as well as shock a lot of people that didn't think he could do everything asked of him. He has that Moxy about him were he wants to prove everyone wrong and I feel is a big reason why he chose USF to begin with and I know he will even surprise me some more just like Grothe did!

2. At least get McCaskill's name right! Also agree here but I feel we do have two DT's that are very capable of doing the job and McCaskill is a great rotation with McClain and Grissom. On DE I shouldn't even explain how loaded we are and should possibly look for other ways to utilize these kids, but I think our coaches know that.

3. Both were great LB's but these kids coming in have more potential as a whole. Also have more potential to be quality NFL draft picks but that is on them and they have to want to learn and play together. If everything comes together we could have a lights out group of LB's with a combo if speed and size like never before! So Rutgers WATCH OUT!

4. Agree but think it should be a higher LIKE considering everyone is back for the most part and we have DEPTH for once as well as size and experience. Surprise Unit of our team in my opinion and you have to take into consideration the coaching factor as well.

5. I don't know if he is an upgrade from a coaching standpoint but know he did bring in the best staff we have ever had here by FAR! Also his name will bring our school some much needed attention and maybe now Lou won't bash us as much as he has or at least help his son out!

Dislikes

1. I somewhat agree here but think we have a lot of talent at this position and one unknown T-Rex and how quick he can learn. Q and Kayvon are very good corners if put in the right situations that fit there strengths and at safety we are loaded with talent and the question is if they can step up and lead and make sure everyone is in their proper place. Think this is the unit that surprises on the D side of things! Also once again coaching will help substantially as well as the scheming!

2. Huge blow losing him, but also huge opportunity for some of our younger talents to step up like Marc, Lamar, Virgin or even Welch/Hawkins/Kelly. It is a position a True Frosh can come in and start at but you have to take the good with the bad. They will not be Mr. Clutch but we have Bogan for that and Love later when it matters.

3. Mo is solid but can not take the needed pressure off of BJ by being the feature back.(I pray I am wrong on this but have my doubts although I have seen some great things from him) I would put my money on Hayes first and then Murray but you never know we have some talented RB's that have never been given the time to shine and in that position you need that to build your confidence! But definitely a big concern.

4. WHO KNOWS! I hope we can fix this problem and with an entirely new coaching regime maybe we can and hope we can break that perception of us.

5. Feel our schedule is difficult but it should be that way if we want to make a name for ourselves. Also think we will surprise a lot of these teams this year since they have no clue who they will be up against and what position they will be in as well as film to get an accurate read of a player. Hopefully our coaches use this to there advantage and change a few things weekly!

Final conclusion would be we have a ton of talent and the coaches are there it just comes down to if they are ready and if they are playing as a team! I have my fingers crossed but can't predict anything because this could be a shocker of a year or give you hope for the following year.

• Content Count:  66,110
  • Days Won:  172

this is a wasted year

we all new that

holtz needs more recruiting classes

• Content Count:  4,502
  • Days Won:  0

this is a wasted year

we all new that

holtz needs more recruiting classes

A good coach shuld be able to turn it around.

Your comments sound like excuses for losers.

Archived