• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BigTime committed SG denied entrance into USF

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Almost missed this because of the lack of basketball ball beat writers for USF(the worse coverage in the conference).

The news out of Louisville today can’t be sitting too well with USF men’s basketball coach Stan Heath and his staff.

Former Memphis G Roburt Sallie, who averaged 10.5 points, 4 rebounds and 1.9 assists last season, has signed with the Cardinals.

Since Sallie’s departure from Memphis, USF has been recruiting Sallie heavily and had a verbal commitment from him, but USF’s academic committee denied Sallie’s entry to the school based on his transcript.

Meanwhile, Sallie signed with Louisville today according to Cardinals coach Rick Pitino.

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

The hurting thing is that Sallie may be able to play the upcoming season providing he qualifies and Louisville can get the waver from the NCAA. This is a guy I rather have then Polynice and what a boost to our team he could have been. However just like every other time when we lose out on a good player, USF gets to play against him. I've watched Sallie play a lot and he was exceptional for Memphis in their run to the Final 4 during Calipari's last season there. Will Heath ever catch a break for him?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

What is the point if he can't qualify academically?  It wouldn't be far to the kid, who would most likely end up on academic suspension and it wouldn't benefit USF athletics over the long-haul.

• Content Count:  5,881

I understand that the committee wants to only accept exceptional student athletes, but speaking as a sports fan this is becoming annoying.

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Wrong again.  The committee is only interested in protecting USF's APR so that Coach Heath or his successor does not face the awful prospect of having to build a team with less than 13 scholarships.  The committee does not only want to admit 'exceptional' student athletes.  They want to not accept extremely questionable or marginal athletes.  I am glad we have this committee.  Remember when we had like seven members of our football recruiting class not make it in due to academics?  Everyone complained.

We have been lucky that we did not receive scholarship reductions in both football and basketball in the last couple years because of a low APR  Our APR was lower than permissible, but we had an exception due to moving from CDOA to the BE.  That exception no longer applies.  The committee should be lauded, not panned for their work.

Normal

The committee should be lauded, not panned for their work.

I pretty much agree.  I have some concerns that perhaps they have been less transparent than they could be, but not sure how much of that was our coaches fault.  Leavitt often acted as though the committee decisions came out of nowhere.  Obviously the committee isn't going to comment about any particular student or process (as well they shouldn't).  The only thing I think is important is that our coaches are well aware of what the committee looks for and can be reasonably confident that they will adjudicate cases quickly and consistently.

It does no one a service to admit student athletes that cannot keep up academically at USF.  I am fully supportive of waiving the general admissions requirements and allowing athletes in that fall well below the normal minimums, but once in and with the special support services available through athletics, they must be able to keep up academically.

• Content Count:  12,293

our basketball team isnt exactly beeming with academic all stars.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

My understanding is that the academic committee was not involved in this decision, that he simply wasn't accepted into graduate school at USF.

• Content Count:  5,881

Wrong again.  The committee is only interested in protecting USF's APR so that Coach Heath or his successor does not face the awful prospect of having to build a team with less than 13 scholarships.  The committee does not only want to admit 'exceptional' student athletes.  They want to not accept extremely questionable or marginal athletes.  I am glad we have this committee.  Remember when we had like seven members of our football recruiting class not make it in due to academics?  Everyone complained.

We have been lucky that we did not receive scholarship reductions in both football and basketball in the last couple years because of a low APR  Our APR was lower than permissible, but we had an exception due to moving from CDOA to the BE.  That exception no longer applies.  The committee should be lauded, not panned for their work.

Normal

I am wrong because as a sports fan I think the academic committee is annoying? People like you that don't respect others opinions are the reason why the country is going down the tubes.

Disclaimer: if that is not directed towards me please disregard.

My understanding is that the academic committee was not involved in this decision, that he simply wasn't accepted into graduate school at USF.

Thanks Greg... seems reasonable.  I would assume academic committee deals primarily/exclusively with undergraduates.  I doubt any special treatment is given for graduate admission (at least I wouldn't want to graduate from the graduate school that does that...)

• Content Count:  100

Almost missed this because of the lack of basketball ball beat writers for USF(the worse coverage in the conference).

The news out of Louisville today can’t be sitting too well with USF men’s basketball coach Stan Heath and his staff.

Former Memphis G Roburt Sallie, who averaged 10.5 points, 4 rebounds and 1.9 assists last season, has signed with the Cardinals.

Since Sallie’s departure from Memphis, USF has been recruiting Sallie heavily and had a verbal commitment from him, but USF’s academic committee denied Sallie’s entry to the school based on his transcript.

Meanwhile, Sallie signed with Louisville today according to Cardinals coach Rick Pitino.

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

The hurting thing is that Sallie may be able to play the upcoming season providing he qualifies and Louisville can get the waver from the NCAA. This is a guy I rather have then Polynice and what a boost to our team he could have been. However just like every other time when we lose out on a good player, USF gets to play against him. I've watched Sallie play a lot and he was exceptional for Memphis in their run to the Final 4 during Calipari's last season there. Will Heath ever catch a break for him?

"We didn't know about this because local reporters suck, so here's a link to a story from a local reporter about it, written the day the information became available." Solid.

Archived